The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodler's Zhivago

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 chkuo

chkuo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:21

Sponsored Content

#2 MattN

MattN

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2009 - 18:41

I wish it was just a little bit lighter... I like the idea of a dark, rich green-black, but not if it often just looks black.

#3 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 18:43

Every time I see somebody else's sample of Zhivago, I covet it again! But when I had this ink, it just looked plain black in all my pens, and the green was visible only when the ink smeared or got wet. Now what's the use of that?... I sold my bottle, but continue to think it looks nice on other people's scans!

#4 OboeJuan

OboeJuan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2009 - 18:59

And I always wish it were almost black, but I have a hard time telling mine apart from MB Racing Green.
Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

#5 Triplet Mom

Triplet Mom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 19:02

I love this ink! I agree that straight out of the bottle it is almost black. The trick I do is to rinse my pen out with water, empty it, then fill it with ink while it is still a bit wet. That little bit of dilution makes the color more of a deep olive green than black.

Edited by Triplet Mom, 02 April 2009 - 19:04.

The search for the perfect blue ink is a delicious and endless quest...

#6 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 19:05

*Want!*

Thanks for the scan and reminder that I want this ink, chkuo!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#7 skipwilliams

skipwilliams

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 19:19

It was waaay to dark for me. I also couldn't tell it from black most times. I also had a problem with it smearing and being very slow to dry.

Skip

QUOTE (QM2 @ Apr 2 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time I see somebody else's sample of Zhivago, I covet it again! But when I had this ink, it just looked plain black in all my pens, and the green was visible only when the ink smeared or got wet. Now what's the use of that?... I sold my bottle, but continue to think it looks nice on other people's scans!

Skip Williams
www.skipwilliams.com/blog

#8 MikaLa

MikaLa

I will maintain

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:13

QUOTE (MattN @ Apr 2 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish it was just a little bit lighter... I like the idea of a dark, rich green-black, but not if it often just looks black.

Noodler's Spirit of the Bamboo is your ink, then. It's bulletproof too!

Rom 7:15

#9 penguinmaster

penguinmaster

----------------------

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 13:44

Zhivago was my go to ink a while ago. It's a lovely color, the most professional business greens I think Noodlers makes.

I have a Hunter Green Edison Pearl in the mail and I can't figure out if i should be inking it with Noodlers Marine Green (my current favorite ink) or Zhivago. I plan on using the Pearl as a daily pen and Zhivago would probably fit that bill better for me!

Nice review as well.

Regards,

Tom
My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

#10 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• 10,122 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 19:02

QUOTE (QM2 @ Apr 2 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In a broader pen, it looks like a happy marriage between army green and used motor oil. I never thought I would care for it, but I actually like it a lot. Call this an "atypical" color prefrence for me.

I'll be starting my ink scans this weekend (in preparation for selling some ink) and I'll use a music nib for it.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#11 xmattxyzx

xmattxyzx

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 19:30

Zhivago looks significantly different in every single one of my pens. It's pretty cool.

Edited by xmattxyzx, 03 April 2009 - 19:30.

#12 MattN

MattN

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2009 - 19:30

QUOTE (MikaLa @ Apr 3 2009, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (MattN @ Apr 2 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Noodler's Spirit of the Bamboo is your ink, then. It's bulletproof too!

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

#13 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 19:36

QUOTE (Deirdre @ Apr 3 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be starting my ink scans this weekend (in preparation for selling some ink) and I'll use a music nib for it.

ooooh
aaaah
looking forward to it!

#14 Souljer

Souljer

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 20:13

Hi,

I know you did! smile.gif

I like the black with hints of green (which perhaps would show up more in wider nibs), but I noticed it dried very slow. On some simple 4x5 pads some letters seemed to stay wet for minutes!

I thought perhaps it's just not "wetting" the paper fibers fast enough so it was not absorbing into the paper. When my first piston fill was almost empty I refilled the ink chamber with water, allowing the ink to be greatly diluted.

Now it does dry faster (though still slow I think) but the color has become a deep, deep forest green. Still almost black but much more obviously green especially in day light. If you write over the same line a few times (as you might in a drawing) it gets blacker and blacker, which makes me think that in an italic nib this will shade nicely. I may try that out just to see for sure.

Whenever I see a review of these colors I wish a wider nib was included as thin fine or medium lines really don't offer a dark color like Zhivago enough room to show the subtleties possible. Conversely, if there are no subtleties or shading then that's made obvious too and good information to share.

#15 Bearcat

Bearcat

Careful with that Fountain Pen....You could put your eye out!

• Member - Gold

• 1,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2009 - 21:33

QUOTE (Deirdre @ Apr 3 2009, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In a broader pen, it looks like a happy marriage between army green and used motor oil. I never thought I would care for it, but I actually like it a lot. Call this an "atypical" color prefrence for me.

Love that description!

--Doc

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

#16 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• 10,122 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 22:25

You know what? I was totally in need of more coffee today. Forget what I said above, I was thinking El Lawrence. I don't have Zhivago.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#17 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,973 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 23:13

Is there anyone who can compare PR Ebony Green with Zhivago?

#18 wttlford

wttlford

So many inks, so little time.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2009 - 16:08

I had the same thought, and although I'm not much of a mixer I blended Zhivago with Whiteness of the whale to get an excellent deep green.

#19 LisaG

LisaG

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:48

This ink is funny. At first I was pretty disappointed by how much it looked like just another black. The more I used it, the more I liked it. It's slight olive cast became like a secret between me and the ink.

- Lisa G.

#20 JeanManuel

JeanManuel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2009 - 13:21

Is there an equivalent of Noodler's Zhivago, but red instead of green?
Everything is impermanent.

Sponsored Content

|