• JJBlanche

• mlc

• J English Smith

• kiavonne

PM sent.

Original Reform 1745

German Piston Filler

100% New/NOS

In light of these economic times, prices have been reduced. I can now say unequivocally that a tuned 1745 (from me) represents the best value anywhere, from any manufacturer/tuner, etc. This ad should be the last stop for anyone who desires a sanely-priced fountain pen that cuts no corners, and writes like the best of them.

NOTE: This thread is an update of older 1745 ads I had going. To read tons of customer feedback, or to see what has changed between those ads and this one, click one or all of the following links. Bear in mind that prices and information contained in this ad are the most current.

~The golden Reform badge in the photos is a removable sticker.~

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4246/reformsinglebl0.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7673/piece1wt7.jpg

Tuned 1745s are without a doubt the best writers in their segment. A near mirror image of the Pelikan M120, these two German greats share identical performance, the same approximate size, and the same aesthetic motif. All this, yet the 1745 commands a dramatically lower price.

Pelikan M120 shown below, alongside a 1745 for reference.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/133/1203.jpg

The Reform 1745 is a prudent choice. It blends value with performance, appealing to the uninitiated and experienced alike. It makes an ideal starter pen, and a good “workhorse” for those times when a more expensive model would not be appropriate.

It goes without saying that the 1745 is also a great primary writer. Indeed, some customers have told me they're using it more frequently than their "name" pens. It writes just as well as any $100, $200, $500 fountain, yet does not carry a monetary burden along with it.

Customer Comments

I'm generally not one to flaunt "testimonials," but the response to these 1745s has been overwhelming. I’ve selected a few comments that best represents the average customer reaction, but feel free to peruse my prior ads (links at the top of this post) to see them all.

Received my pen in the mail today. Came just as described - no way in heck the pen can get damaged the way it is packed. Tried out the pen, and it's currently the best writer I own as well as a beautiful piston filler and a great knock-around pen useful for everyday service. 10/10!!

Only problem is that I'm considering buying more, but know I need to stop buying so many pens!

Received my Reform pen today. Super quick delivery I must say. Only 1 week from US to Sweden. Great packing with nice printed instructions inside.

I really like this pen. The pen is perfectly tuned for my taste. Writes wet and smooth. I´d definitely recommend this pen and seller.

Got my pen today. Outstanding for the price. I might order a couple more as I really like the piston filling system and I don't think any other pen in this price range has that feature.

I bought several of these fully tuned to EF wet nibs, and they are fabulous pens. I sold one to a cubicle mate who was interested in getting into fountain pens and loves it. The other is a daily writer I use at work.

The service was great, and delivery was very quick. Super pens for the price.

<====

Regarding line width/nib gauge: The tuning service I offer (listed below), can help you to get the nib width, wetness, and smoothness you desire, and is highly recommended for those who don’t modify or adjust their own pens. Tuned 1745s write like a dream, but untuned examples generally require at least some work to fall into line, and do not come with a specific nib gauge. Please bear this in mind when placing your order.

====>

Each pen includes detailed instructions, along with a brief write-up regarding the history of Reform as a brand. For the sake of clarity, these 1745s are 100% new/NOS, sealed in the factory boxes, and removed only when orders are being filled. They are available now, and shipped from within the continental USA for speed and security.

Base Price: $5 per pen; Sealed Factory Boxes of 24 = $120

≈≈Tuning Service≈≈

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7483/tuninglu4.jpg

Although these are great pens, out of the box some nibs can be a bit dry or toothy. They’ve also been sitting for a number of years (hence, “new old stock”), and are stiff in a few areas (namely, the piston and feed). Some can overlook these shortcomings, or work them out of their own accord, but others demand top performance right from the start. For them, I offer a tuning service.

Through much research and subsequent experience, I’ve become quite the effective Reform tuner. Indeed, I’ve worked on literally hundreds of these to this point, and can safely say that I have, by far, the most experience of anyone (anywhere) when it comes to 1745 service/modification. I can take the most finicky Reform and turn it into a top-notch writer. I use only the best materials and tools.

With tuning, the ultimate goal is to provide a pen that writes, flows, and functions well (ie: the pen is “tuned up”). Note that this is not a full regrinding. For example, I can't take a stock Reform nib and turn it into a cursive italic. Although this is possible, it would require retipping of the pen, as the iridium material is ground off when making such drastic changes. I do not have the facilities to retip. Indeed, even Richard Binder outsources his retipping.

That said, for a small additional fee you can provide me with basic requirements (ie: wet fine), which I can use as the foundation for your tuning. I can customize flow to whatever you’d like, but nib gauge is limited to some extent by what I start with (again, I’m only smoothing the nib, I’m not regrinding it). Feel free to request width’s between extra fine and medium.

When tuning a 1745, I proceed in the following fashion:

• The nib/feed assembly is removed and soaked in reverse osmosis/deionized water to remove storage wax/oils.
  • A minute amount of silicon grease is added to the piston mechanism to smooth it up.
  • The nib is returned to the pen, the pen is flushed with RO/DI water several times, and filled with ink. It is allowed to sit, inked, giving the ebonite feed enough time to absorb liquid and become supple after years of storage.
  • Flow, smoothness, and consistency are evaluated and adjusted, to the point where a reliable and pleasant writing experience is achieved.
  • The pen is subsequently allowed to sit for several hours, inked, to verify that the modifications "took" and that there are no leaks or other issues.
  • After a final testing, the pen is thoroughly cleaned with RO/DI water, allowed to dry, and shipped off to its new owner, ready to write for a lifetime.
As is apparent, this is not a quick once-over. I strive to ensure that every pen I tune meets the exacting standards of its future owner.

For the sake of clarity, a "standard" tuning has the same attention to detail as a tuning with specs. The only difference is, I don't tune with a particular gauge in mind.

Price: $4 per pen for a thorough tune-up; $6 for a tune-up with gauge and/or wetness specifications taken into consideration.

Shipping

Your pens are shipped in new, sturdy shipping boxes with bubble wrap padding -- not envelopes with wadded paper. Shipping is $3.00 within the continental US, up to four pens. For every pen after four, factor in an additional $0.10 per pen. Insurance and other services are optional, and quoted upon request.

International shipping begins at approximately $5.00.

Given the number of orders I get for these, and considering the nature of the tuning service, I’ve gotten into the habit of shipping out orders once per week. All told, most orders arrive within 2 weeks (maximum) or less from the day the order is placed.

Ordering Process

My preferred payment method is via PayPal, although money orders are accepted (sorry, no personal checks). If you'd like to order, please send a private message, with your PayPal email address mentioned in the body if you’re using PayPal. Also reply to this thread with a "PM sent" post, in the event that the PM system does not deliver the message, and/or my inbox is full and cannot process incoming mail.

**If you're ordering from outside the US, please note that fact in your private message, and also let me know where your order will be going**

In an effort to reduce spam, and for the purpose of record keeping, it’s easier for me to send a PayPal invoice as opposed to receiving payment direct, which is why I request the PayPal email address. Invoices will remain open for approximately 48 hours, during which time they can be paid following the instructions in the email. After this time, all unpaid invoices will be canceled.

Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a line.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a long haul. Much longer than I'd initially anticipated. But the last Reforms have just been sold. No more, nada.

As mentioned, thanks to all those who have participated over the past few months. I'm sure I'll always look back on this time as the "fountain pen" era.

Best,

JJ