The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Somewhere Over the Rainbow Preludes Fly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Karin

Karin

experienced pen lover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2005 - 14:26

Somewhere Over the Rainbow Preludes Fly

My Review of the Shaeffer Rainbow Prelude

I decided that I needed another Shaeffer for my collection. While browsing Jim`s site, I gasped in wonder at the picture of the Prelude in the rainbow pattern. I stared and stared and fell in love. Rainbows are not only wondrous, but a symbol of diversity.
Flash forward to yesterday. I went to the post office and picked up the huge box that had the tell tale North Carolina return address on it.
I found my knife and carefully opened the cardboard then frantically searched through those little styrafoam thingys to find the treasure.
Then I opened the other cardboard box that held the Shaeffer case with my beloved inside.
I took a deep breath and opened the case. Wow. What an amazing way to put these colours on this stately pen. There is nothing cheap looking or flashy about the design. The gold filled pen and the Shaeffer clip, top jewel and cap ring announce quite clearly that this is a rainbow with the pot of gold attached.
After several hours, I decided to ink my new pen. But what colour should I use?Nathan should invent a rainbow ink. I finally decided on an Emerald Green cartridge The Prelude is a terrific writer. I like to post my smaller pens and this pen is perfectly balanced with the cap on. Not only that but it allows me the pleasure of staring at the entire rainbow effect.
I ordered a medium nib and it writes as a medium should. The ink flows well and the nib has a bit of tooth which I like. The grip on the Balance makes it a comfortable pen to use for long periods of time even for a lefty.
The only problem that I have with this pen is that I catch myself staring at it and becoming mesmerized.
10 out of 10 for this elegant, pyschedelic, trance inducing, happy making pen. :D

Fountain Pen Abundance

Sponsored Content

#2 Guest_Denis Richard_*

Guest_Denis Richard_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2005 - 21:41

I saw it in person at the LA Show. It's a very pretty finish.

#3 georgem

georgem

George: Several of my Vintage Pens Were New When I Got 'em

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 22:23

Karin & All,

I left an image of the Rainbow Prelude on the screen a few weeks ago.

A short while later, a similar box arrived -- an early Valentines Day Present from my wife. :wub:

Like you I went through the packaging, opened the Sheaffer Box, and there was a Rainbow Prelude -- beautiful, mesmerizing, and, once inked, a fine writer. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Mine has a fine nib. I think from now on, I'll choose fine rather than broader nibs; they seem more suited to my hand.

Now, what ink to use? Herbin Bleu Pervenche is my current favorite, so into the Rainbow it went.

Multiple journal pages later, it's a fine writer. I have large hands, so I find that it's a bit small while holding it. When posted, the edge of the cap rubs against my hand so using it unposted is a bit more comfortable.

I think it's too nice to carry about and be subjected to the slings and arrows of a workplace.

When not in use, it resides in a place of honor in a glass topped case where it may be admired. :drool:
George

Pelikan Convert and User

#4 Elaine

Elaine

Museum Piece

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,522 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 22:37

Aaaaahhhh, When Karin wrote about the pen I looked it up and fell in love.:wub: I told myself: "self, no no, no more pens right now" :angry:

Now georgem has rekindled my desire (for the pen, down george!).

I reapeat, "self, no, no, no no, no, no......but it's sooooo pretty, noooooooooooooooo.....

Elaine

#5 Guest_Denis Richard_*

Guest_Denis Richard_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2005 - 23:05

and it does not cost much more than an Estie, Elaine....

Edited by Denis Richard, 31 May 2005 - 04:13.

#6 georgem

georgem

George: Several of my Vintage Pens Were New When I Got 'em

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 23:13

Yeeeeesssssssss!

You know you really want that pen.
George

Pelikan Convert and User

#7 Karin

Karin

experienced pen lover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2005 - 23:16

C'mon Elaine,
It's not an expensive pen. Great value for the money. B) And you deserve it :lol:

:bunny1:
Fountain Pen Abundance

#8 Leslie J.

Leslie J.

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:30

I really like the pen too. I am on a no-pens budget right now though. :(
Never lie to your dog.