The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Phileas in Black with GT

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ballboy

ballboy

A pen-intent man shall pass

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2006 - 13:13

I bid on this Phileas as a consolation for losing out on an L'etalon and found I had won it upon arriving back home from work.

The bonus with this pen is that it came with two nibs: medium and fine PLUS, a full bottle of Noodler's Blue.

Writing: 4/5

Having heard neutral or unispired comments about Watermans recently, I wasn't expecting anything special, but, yes it's stiff, but it writes fluidly if not overtly wet like my Lamy 2000. It's almost on a par with my Townsend for smoothness, but without the weight. I'm just using the standard blue cartridge for now until I Noodlerize it! ;)

Style/construction: 3.5/5

For a plastic pen, this is very well made. All trim is secure with no rough edges or mouldings. Again, it challenges my Townsend for quality. Capped, its appears to be about 13.5cm long; capped:14.75cm. The cap doesn't click on, much like the Lamy, but feels secure and comfortable for writing. An excellent user pen.

Price: 3/5

At 33GBP + 3GBP for postage, I thought I got a fair deal, considering what was included. US FPNers might have found better value internally on US only ebay auctions or elsewhere, but this is cheap(ish) for the UK.

Overall: 4/5

I thought I could do without a Waterman in my collection, but this is a deservedly popular model and will inspire me to look into others like the Ici Et La and Carene. Considering I prefer modern & hooded, this expanding my horizons to pen and nib styles (I guess the Townsend showed me that!) Perhaps truly vintage will beckon next!

Should be one to keep for quite some time.

Attached Images

• DSC00130.JPG

Edited by ballboy, 18 April 2006 - 13:20.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Sponsored Content

#2 Slush99

Slush99

FullMetal

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 13:17

Congratulations on the new pen. I have one of those, and it writes very well. B) B)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.
How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire
The Adventures of Chewie

#3 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2006 - 13:46

Hi Ballboy,

Thank you very much for this review and picture of a fountain pen that has truly become a standard pen, one to measure all others by!

Warmest regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#4 LapsangS

LapsangS

Greetings from Finland

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 17:19

I've heard some rumours... In a Finnish web blog a Finnish FP enthusiast reported that he had received the new 2006 Sanford (Parker/Rotring/Waterman) catalogues. The Waterman 2006 catalogue did not have Philéas anymore!? This Finnish guy drew the conclusion that Waterman/Sanford have discontinued the whole Philéas line. I personally can't believe this. Why would they discontinue one of their best-selling and perhaps greatest price/quality-ratio fountain pen...

#5 dr4kds

dr4kds

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 18:59

I have two Phileas pens and I like them (both fine point). I also had heard that that line was being discontinued and I went to the SwisherPens website and they have two Phileas listings. One listing was listed as clearance, and the other (at a higher price) was there also in 4 colors each with 3 nib options. I am not sure of the significance, but thought it interesting.

Jack
An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar.
The first orders a beer, the second half a beer, the third 1/4 of a beer...

The bartender says "You guys are a bunch of jerks!" and draws 2 beers.

I can't help it, I like this joke!

#6 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:50

I have the Phileas (red Marble, F) and love it. I am looking at getting another, only perhaps a M nib instead - just to branch out a little.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Sponsored Content

|