PICS o' th' GOLD BRICK. Funky "Parkers" from th' thoities.

david i

I actually have the same model in silver web, and as a pen/pencil set, 2 bands, Parker clip and all, unfortunately not in this excellent condition.

/T

Hi Welcome

I have used your websites quite a bit they're great

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams

My social media sites Via Gravatar

Join Pen Collectors of America

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• david i

• Johnny Appleseed

• John Danza

• Buzz J

The Good Service Sacless Vacuum Filler (gee, familiar verbiage), is quite a strong push to a cheap claim to "sacless" as it is a simple bulb-filler. One unscrews the blind cap revealing what is in fact a sac (bulb) that one squeezes to fill the pen. The presence of "web" plastic (which appears NOT to have been exclusive to Parker, though Parker is best known for it) and presence in Sears catalogue I s'pose argues for Parker production, though this pen, unlike some Diamond Medal, other Good Service (Parkette Deluxe styling) and some Webster, really does not look like Parker structure. The clip contour does not reflect other Parkers; indeed to me it resembles Eisenstadt pens, not that I follow those so closely. So... I keep an open mind.

Johnny showed his Good Service Vacuum Filler. Here is mine, in Serpent Green (web). I've seen one in Golden (web) as well.

http://vacumania.com/penteech/goodservicegreenweb.jpg

Golden Brown (web). I have a Golden Brown (web) GS, but it is in pretty poor shape. Have to take the aforementioned picture of my Serpent Green pencil.

I too am uncertain about whether these were Parker or not. A number of things about them seem un-parker, as opposed to some of the other Good-Service pens, which have more Parkette-like styling.

If Parker could make the truly lowly "Fifth Avenue" pens for Woolworths, I am sure they would happily jump at the chance to sell higher-end pens through Sears.

John

Interesting. I have not seen any info suggesting the SAFFORD (as in George S. Parker) FIFTH AVE, a pen of perhaps Parker Parkette quality, was intended for Woolworth. Neat. You have some paper for this?

Check out the Phillip Hull memoirs, page 4, describing his first day on the job at Parker.

"The 5th Avenue pen and mechanical pencil were produced under contract for the F.W. Woolworth Company, the original national dime store. It is unbelievable today the the pen could be produced and packaged at the price Parker charged Woolworth. . ."

Parkette quality? That might be giving it the benefit of the doubt. . .

However, let us return to Parker and to Webster, that latter name sold (only??) by Sears with some of pens apparently Parker derived.

Webster pens with the "Chicago Ill." imprint seem to be Sears-only pens. Many include the <SR> logo in the Dimond in the middle, though others just have the diamond.

Webster is the longest running of the Sears house-brand pens. It first appears in 1924, I think, with a large HR flat-top that looks a lot like a Wirt. Then it becomes the Sears mid-line, between the top-line Diamond Medal, and the lower-tier Good Service. However, that needs to be taken with a touch of salt, as there was often price overlap, and there are at least some catalogs where the Websters are positioned as stylistically different more than a different Tier - namely more traditional chased HR designs, when the DM and Good Service were mostly celluloid. Webster outlasts the other brands, lasting well into the late 40s (though very different designs). I think the "Parker period" was the mid to late 30s, starting about '34 and lasting till '38-'39 or so, though my catalog collection is far from complete.

There were other Websters, including a brand of Webster HR and celluloid flat-tops sold by the Rex Manufacturing Company of Providence RI. They have a distinctive "VW" logo where the point on the top of the W combines with the bottom of the V to make an X.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Check out the Phillip Hull memoirs, page 4, describing his first day on the job at Parker.

"The 5th Avenue pen and mechanical pencil were produced under contract for the F.W. Woolworth Company, the original national dime store. It is unbelievable today the the pen could be produced and packaged at the price Parker charged Woolworth. . ."

Parkette quality? That might be giving it the benefit of the doubt. . .

However, let us return to Parker and to Webster, that latter name sold (only??) by Sears with some of pens apparently Parker derived.

Webster pens with the "Chicago Ill." imprint seem to be Sears-only pens. Many include the <SR> logo in the Dimond in the middle, though others just have the diamond.

Webster is the longest running of the Sears house-brand pens. It first appears in 1924, I think, with a large HR flat-top that looks a lot like a Wirt. Then it becomes the Sears mid-line, between the top-line Diamond Medal, and the lower-tier Good Service. However, that needs to be taken with a touch of salt, as there was often price overlap, and there are at least some catalogs where the Websters are positioned as stylistically different more than a different Tier - namely more traditional chased HR designs, when the DM and Good Service were mostly celluloid. Webster outlasts the other brands, lasting well into the late 40s (though very different designs). I think the "Parker period" was the mid to late 30s, starting about '34 and lasting till '38-'39 or so, though my catalog collection is far from complete.

There were other Websters, including a brand of Webster HR and celluloid flat-tops sold by the Rex Manufacturing Company of Providence RI. They have a distinctive "VW" logo where the point on the top of the W combines with the bottom of the V to make an X.

John

Interesting stuff..

To reprint you ad...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Sears-Seattle-fall-winter1936-1937.jpg

And then... to up the ante a bit... :)

Looks a lot like a fluted Parker Parkette Deluxe, no?

-d

http://removed.xyz/websitelectures/diamondmedalessay1o850.jpg

Great thread David! I'm really enjoying it, all spured by that one Diamond Medal pic, I'm glad Sean put it up.

John, thanks for posting pictures of the old ads

Great thread David! I'm really enjoying it, all spured by that one Diamond Medal pic, I'm glad Sean put it up.

John, thanks for posting pictures of the old ads

Geez, maybe I'll hafta pull up some of the good stuff ;)

-d

Well, this topic certainly helps keep David off the streets at night ;-)

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

Well, this thread has gone far beyond my initial goals, which of course is fine ;)

Indeed, I've learned a bit more than a bit from the commentary.

So, what the heck. A few more shots never hurt.

For this one, I just must say...

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Those who hunt the esoterica will value what is not the pen at least as much as what is the pen.

And, of course, the pen is pretty sharp.

Falls into place well with the Sears page posted by Mr. Appleseed.

Has the 44 (fourth quarter 1934) Parke-esque nib date code that would be expected for this sort of pen.

The paper work has printing and verbiage very much in the Parker style.

And, you can picture no doubt the two pens that donated style cues to the Diamond Medal.

A gem from my personal collection.

regards

David

http://removed.xyz/websitelectures/diamondmedalessay1p850.jpg

Edited by david i

Sweet!

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

...and the fact David can sit here and amuse himself by teasing all of us with these fantastic pens...

Ne'er truer words written! :)

As always, David, John, and Tony (and to Sean for getting this whole thing kicked off), thanks for sharing your knowledge so generously. :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

...and the fact David can sit here and amuse himself by teasing all of us with these fantastic pens...

Ne'er truer words written! :)

As always, David, John, and Tony (and to Sean for getting this whole thing kicked off), thanks for sharing your knowledge so generously. :)

You mean we gotta stop now?

buh buh but I had all these ante-upping images still floating about ;)

-d

Edited by david i

The thread grows, perhaps, a bit long in the tooth.

We continue to explore pens sold by Sears which were rebadged Parkers.

Here is reprint again of a 1935 page showing Parker made Diamond Medal and Good Service pens (though i still am a bit uncertain regarding the bulb filler Good Service at top).

Then, see a great pen- for those who like this sort- below.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Sears-Seattle-fall-winter1936-1937.jpg

And here is the pen. Not... quite... shown in the catalogue page, but should seem strikingly familiar to those who hunt 1930's Parkers. It is a lever filler.

http://removed.xyz/websitelectures/diamondmedalessay1q850.jpg

regards

David

Edited by david i

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/BuzzJ/301f.jpg

I guess if you squint your eyes some, it might look like a Parker. :thumbup:

John

Edited by rroossinck

so many pens, so little time.......

http://removed.xyz/websitelectures/diamondmedalessay1p850.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/BuzzJ/301f.jpg

I guess if you squint your eyes some, it might look like a Parker. :thumbup:

John

Now that... i say THAT, son... is one heckuva juxtaposition.

Although, the box seems a bit old ;)

-d

Here be a gem for ya...

The following pen returns us to the early theme of this thread, re-badged Parker pens from the 1930's sold under the Diamond Medal label for Sears. So far, all the the Vac-Fil Diamond Medal pens shown, which use Parker's Vacumatic filling mechanism but with styling cues from other Parker pens, were in "web" pattern plastic, similar to Parker's well known "Golden Web".

This one is... different.

It has at least one reaaaally neat feature.

Thoughts?

Regards

David

http://removed.xyz/websitelectures/diamondmedalessay1r850.jpg

Edited by david i

Clearly it's a Deluxe Challenger knockoff which is a button filler with a sac. But is that barrel transparent? That would suggest this DM is a vac filler!? Now they've really crossed the lines!

John

so many pens, so little time.......

So far, all the the Vac-Fil Diamond Medal pens shown, which use Parker's Vacumatic filling mechanism but with styling cues from other Parker pens, were in "web" pattern plastic, similar to Parker's well known "Golden Web".

You need to qualify that - so far all the Vac-fil Diamond Medal pens shown as photos of actual pens have been Web's, but the 1935 Sears Catalog I posted above shows Diamond Medal Vacs in four mottled colors - "Burgundy and Black", "Marine Green and Black", and ,"Lustrous Black" are available as catalog numbers 4 H 7350, -7351 and -7352, respectively. The oversize vac-fill shown below that is available in "Marine Green, Burgundy, Black and White, or Jet Black" (italics in original) - catalog number 4 H 7353.

But I would have expected the patterns to be more like the 1935 Vac Jr patterns, and this is a much more chunky "Black and White" than the 1935 Jr. Grey Marble.

Not sure what the really neat feature is, though the circumfrential seam in the middle of the translucent section is different, as well as the Challanger color on a vac.

John

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

- Dr Suess

So far, all the the Vac-Fil Diamond Medal pens shown, which use Parker's Vacumatic filling mechanism but with styling cues from other Parker pens, were in "web" pattern plastic, similar to Parker's well known "Golden Web".

You need to qualify that - so far all the Vac-fil Diamond Medal pens shown as photos of actual pens have been Web's, but the 1935 Sears Catalog I posted above shows Diamond Medal Vacs in four mottled colors - "Burgundy and Black", "Marine Green and Black", and ,"Lustrous Black" are available as catalog numbers 4 H 7350, -7351 and -7352, respectively. The oversize vac-fill shown below that is available in "Marine Green, Burgundy, Black and White, or Jet Black" (italics in original) - catalog number 4 H 7353.

But I would have expected the patterns to be more like the 1935 Vac Jr patterns, and this is a much more chunky "Black and White" than the 1935 Jr. Grey Marble.

Not sure what the really neat feature is, though the circumfrential seam in the middle of the translucent section is different, as well as the Challanger color on a vac.

John

Well, I don't need to qualify the original post as the issue raised is quite clear- the exploration of thing(s) that are really neat in a pen a bit different from the web DM Vac-Fil pens shown earlier in this thread. I didn't address just which things are neat, as that was the conversation I wished to invite ;)

The subsequent discussion do doubt will address the answer, but the question leaves room open for various views.

You and Buzz have covered a bunch of the terrain, though I'll add couple of my own views.

1. I believe there are no known OS DM Vac-Fil pens, and I do believe the cited ad is not implying the existence of an OS. Rather, it suggests the larger of the two sizes we've seen already in this thread.
  2. The Ad does show some sort of mottling on available non-"web" DM Vac-Fil pens.
  3. Of particular appeal to me (yes, subjective) and thus something I find really neat is that this DM Vac-Fil is done in Deluxe Challenger "Plaque-on-black" plastic, though the neatness I find is not due to that plastic being either a "catalogued" or "uncatalogued" style. While it might not be wholly surprising to find Parker Vacumatic plastic (which of course uses two different plastics for cap and barrel respectively, with cap featuring color on a black substrate and barrel featuring color in a clear substrate) on a DM Vac-Fil, the appearance of Deluxe Challenger style plastic on a DM Vac-Fil means Parker essentially did obtain a plastic not used on any other pen, the "Plaque-on-Clear" that allows for the transparent barrel regions, for this pen. True Deluxe Challenger of course had black background both on cap and on barrel. The Plaque-on-Clear plastic is... interesting.
regards

-d

Edited by david i

We've now seen Diamond Medal Vac-Fil pens, re-badged Parker Vacumatics with some tweaked styling cues. Examples shown so far include "web" plastic clearly related to Parker plastics and most recently a nifty Deluxe Challenger type "plaque on black" plastic with transparent "plaque on clear" barrel related to, but not identical to, the all-opaque plastic used on Deluxe Challenger.

There are... more.

regards

david

http://removed.xyz/penteech/diamondmedalrememail.jpg

Edited by david i

The pen shown above is the small size DM Vac-Fil.

Here is it's big brother, in silver pearl.

regards

d

http://removed.xyz/penteech/diamondmedalvacfill60per.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I get to join the club with a recently aquired Diamond Medal pearl-and-black fluted button-filler. It would have been cooler had it been a vac.

Coming back to David's pens pictured above - what clues are there to the date on that pen, David? I find it interesting that I do not have that pattern in the catalog pages I have (which admitedly are limited - Fall 1935, Spring 1936, Fall 1936, Fall 1939), except for one Diamond Medal in the 1939 catalog - but the clip on that is clearly not Parker, and the Webster's by then had switched to the later 1940s Websters - identical to many Gold Medal pens and presumably not Parker-made.

I would guess that those striped DM vac-fills were from somewhere in the 1937-1938 range, but wonder if there are any other clues (date code on nib?)

John

(who really needs to find some time to get back to the library and slog through the microfilm. . .)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/DM-fluted.jpg

- Dr Suess