The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

First Parker "51" - I'm In The Club

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dadof8

Dadof8

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:26

Today, the mailman delivered a "51" that I won off of the 'bay late last week. I couldn't believe it got here so soon via regular mail.

I unwrapped it and it is just as described. The seller's name is engraved on the pen. It is a black pen with lustraloy top. Just what I wanted.

The sac is clean. I pumped warm water in and out and the water came out clean. The sac seemed to hold the water okay. It is now stood nib down on tissue paper to suck out the remaining water. I may try to load it later tonight and give it a test drive.

I'm almost shaking I'm so excited.

I don't know why a "51" appeals to me, but they do. This is my first "51".

Dadof8

Sponsored Content

#2 Slush99

Slush99

FullMetal

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:29

I'm not a member of the club yet, but congratulations!!!! :)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.
How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire
The Adventures of Chewie

#3 JimStrutton

JimStrutton

The Jedi Knightmare is back....

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:03

Ah, now we gotcha, you will be assimilated.........................

You now own an example of the best pen ever made...........not that I am biased in any way :rolleyes:

What you have bought is the definitive "51" in black with a Lustraloy cap, the same as the one my parents bought me in 1962.

Enjoy it, and here is a picture of mine:

Posted Image

Jim
Obi Won WD40
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

#4 Apollo

Apollo

Handsome Devil

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:20

Dadof8, congratulations on your first "51" acquisition. Enjoy! :)
Posted Image Bendita mi tierra guanche.

#5 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:02

Congrats on your first "51"! As the Old Swill commercials used to say, "It doesn't get any better than this." Black and Lustraloy really is the classic, just as Jim says. Here's mine:

Posted Image

They got it wrong on the beer, by the way... :lol:
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#6 Slush99

Slush99

FullMetal

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 13:04

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.
How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire
The Adventures of Chewie

#7 maia

maia

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2006 - 13:06

Lovely "51". Drooling all over it ;)

#8 HesNot

HesNot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,246 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 14:29

Welcome to the club! Hard to beat black and lustralloy - classic, understated and timeless. I have a 21 in black and lustralloy which has kept me from pursuing a "51" in that combination (my two are burgundy with lustralloy and a flighter) right now, but I know I'll eventually jump on one when I see a good deal. They are addictive because they write so well and for more common configurations remain quite reasonably priced (although you can pay a lot for some models, like say, for example a cedar blue double jool vac "51" or a Mark III in rage red like someone who posts regularly owns :drool: :) ).

Both mine are very much user grade. My flighter has a couple dings and the cap on my burgundy has some wear from the clip, but both were relatively reasonably priced (the burgundy cost me just a tad more than an Estie) and the both write fantastically.

Right now my target "51"s is a cedar (or maybe midnight) blue.

There is perhaps no more polarizing pen in our little world but if you get hooked - well - you have been assimilated! :D

Edited by HesNot, 18 April 2006 - 14:29.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

#9 Dan the man

Dan the man

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 14:54

Congratulations, will join you soon as a first time owner. I really like the black model, understated elegance, a really classy act!

Happy smooth writing.

Dan
"Sweating is the bodies way of weeping with desire," he said. "Five more cry baby, five more", she said.

#10 bobioden

bobioden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:37

Congrats. The Black with the Lustaloy Cap was my first "51" also. You are going to love it.

Here is mine.

Posted Image

#11 KDW

KDW

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:41

I look forward to hearing how it writes. I inherited two brand new in box 51s that had been in my grandfather's drugstore. I feel like a kid born with a silver spoon. Let us know if you enjoy the writing experience.
Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.

#12 JimStrutton

JimStrutton

• Member - Gold

• 4,343 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 16:55

They got it wrong on the beer, by the way...  :lol:

Richard,

Much as I hate to disagree with you, but that is not beer, in England we do beer, proper stuff. What they were advertising was what we here call 'the urine of small furry mammals'. (This is a quote from a famous play about the brewery industry in the UK after WWII, PM me if you would like the exact description.) ;)

If you are ever in this part of the World, I would be delighted to stand you a pint or two of Wiltshires finest. Come to think of it, could be five or six as we have several excellent local brews!

Consider yourself invited to a session!

Jim :roflmho:
Obi Won WD40

#13 JimStrutton

JimStrutton

• Member - Gold

• 4,343 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 16:57

I look forward to hearing how it writes. I inherited two brand new in box 51s that had been in my grandfather's drugstore. I feel like a kid born with a silver spoon. Let us know if you enjoy the writing experience.

More like a Silver Capped "51" :D

What an inheritance!

Jim
Obi Won WD40

#14 Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri

Ruaidhrí

• FPN Hon. Admin

• 3,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2006 - 23:08

The disease spreads :unsure:
Soon it will be illegal to walk down the street without a 51 in your pocket. This will be a good thing. The more politically correct will carry a "51".
Enjoy !
Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

#15 TMann

TMann

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 23:19

Congrats on your first "51"! As the Old Swill commercials used to say, "It doesn't get any better than this." Black and Lustraloy really is the classic, just as Jim says. Here's mine:

Posted Image

They got it wrong on the beer, by the way... :lol:

My one complaint about the "51"s...is that the really cool caps only came on the Vac pens, not on the Aero pens. I love the Aero design, but I lust after those cool Vac caps...

TMann

#16 Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri

Ruaidhrí

• FPN Hon. Admin

• 3,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2006 - 23:34

What's not to love about the vac ?
I've just swapped caps on a vac and an aero & they fit perfectly.
I know it's a GRAVE SIN but, as my son says, "whatever floats your boat" :rolleyes:
Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

#17 rak

rak

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:41

Congratulations on your "51". I bought a "51" in February and love the pen. You will want to buy more of them. I have not bought a second yet, but the siren song of the "51" is calling for me to get more. I have found my aero to be extremely reliable and comfortable to use all day. It is a fantastc writers pen. The Lamy 2000 and the "51" are my two pens that I use the most and enjoy writing with the most.

#18 HesNot

HesNot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,246 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 20:17

Yes, the aero caps aren't quite as inspiring as the old blue diamond vac caps ...

I don't have a vac "51" just two aeros so that may be the next one on the list....

Truly addictive. 7 of my 9 pens are Parkers and 4 are "51"s or 21s (2 each).

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

#19 RyanL27

RyanL27

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 21:15

TMann - I am right there with you - why couldn't we get some blue diamond Aeros? I strongly prefer Aerometric "51"s, but those Vac caps are just way too cool with the Jeweler's caps, gold-filled and nickel-filled clips, and sterling caps. And I just can't bring myself to put a Vac cap on an Aerometric "51" - I wish I could just get over it and make my ultimate "51" (black Aero with Jeweler's cap and nickel-filled clip - IOW, just like Richard's but Aero style), but I'm just too stubborn to let myself be happy.

However, my next ultimate "51" should be about ready to go. It's a blue Aero that's currently with Richard getting a stub grind - soon to be a sweet, sweet writer!!

Anyway, I've enjoyed the pics - here are some of the "51"s I've owned in the past (I now only have the 2nd one from the right in my possession).
Posted Image

edited for idiocy

Edited by RyanL27, 21 April 2006 - 21:17.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."
- Baruch Spinoza

#20 HesNot

HesNot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,246 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 22:02

Since I only have aero "51"s I can't really compare, but I've tended to avoid the vacs based on the premise that they are more likely to need refurbishing than an aero (unless specifically purchased in refurbished condition).

Ryan - those are some nice "51"s you have there! I'll have to take a picture of mine and post soon.

Sponsored Content

|