Are there FPs made of aluminum?

Blade Runner

I have a Michael's Fatboy gel pen made of billet aircraft grade aluminum that is

hefty and durable, and was wondering if there are any Fps made of

aluminium. Why aren't they more ubiquitous?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• M4R1N4

• Slush99

• drifting

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty certain the Muji fountain pen -- an excellent little cheapie -- is made out of anodized aluminium.

Best

Michael

trying to spell in a trans-national way

I had no idea the Lamy Al-star and Rotring are aluminum!

I had no idea the Al in Al-Star was for Aluminum!! duh :D

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

I'm pretty certain the Muji fountain pen -- an excellent little cheapie -- is made out of anodized aluminium......

Michael, where do you find these Muji pens? I can't find any sellers in the USA, not even on eBay?? I saw some pics on flickr though, and they look cool.

Thanks,

Marina.

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

The Lamy Al Star and the Aluminum Pelikano are a bit cheezy feeling to me. REALLY thin gauge metal. I with they were billet or forged

The Lamy Al Star and the Aluminum Pelikano are a bit cheezy feeling to me. REALLY thin gauge metal. I with they were billet or forged

The Al-Star is not thin guage aluminum, its pretty strong.

Now, the Minka is made from a solid billet of Al.

There was a wonderful Columbus Progetto pen made of aircraft grade aluminum. It was polished to a mirror-like finish and it was a very striking pen. Sadly, the pen was discontinued a couple of years ago.

I am keeping mine.

http://www.tryphon.it/pens/columbus/ProgettoFP.jpg

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

For those who don't know, billet = small metal bar

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_3712.jpg

Here's the Fatboy made of aircraft grade billet aluminum. A wopping 40 grams.

Definitely not your soda can. :)

Cool Jeen! It looks neat, but is it comfortable?? And how does it write?

- Socrates

Cool Jeen! It looks neat, but is it comfortable?? And how does it write?

I find it comfortable, and it has a bodacious presence that i love.

It's great for short notes and signatures, but due to its weight, i don't

usually use it for lengthy writing.

It houses a Parker gel refill, a super smooth ride.

I don't recall which brands made them, but in the early part of the 20th century, some pen manufacturers made fountain pens out of a new and exotic material: aluminum. Today those pens are quite uncommon.

Chris

Custom Bindes

I'm pretty certain the Muji fountain pen -- an excellent little cheapie -- is made out of anodized aluminium......

Michael, where do you find these Muji pens? I can't find any sellers in the USA, not even on eBay?? I saw some pics on flickr though, and they look cool.

Thanks,

Marina.

AFAIK, there are no Muji stores in North America. MOMA in NY has *some* Muji items, but not, as far as I can see, the FP (they do have the tri-pen).

I've bought mine when I've been in England. Sorry that doesn't help much, but at least you can console yourself that you're probably nearer a Muji store than I am. Don't know how widespread they are in Japan.

Best

Michael

There's this pen from A.G. Spalding that's fairly reasonably priced. The link for the FP is down near the bottom. I ordered the mini version when I was looking for the perfect FP for my HipsterPDA. It has a nice smooth steel nib.

Ryan.

ps. I'll have to look at the documentation when I get home from work - it's made by a Japanese manufacturer, and the name Muji rings quite familiar. But maybe not.

Anyone have experience of the Bexley Continental? Recommended price was/is $46 I believe. This is the Bexley description of the pen:

"Bexley presents the Continental, an affordable way to enjoy the superior appearance and performance of our writing instruments. This classic design is inspired by the "high tech" look that emerged during the 1950's. We carry on this tradition by machining our Continentals from aircraft quality aluminium. We coat them with a rich two-tone bronze finish, and matte black accents, for a smart, rugged appearance. This pen accepts international size ink cartridges or can be filled from an ink bottle with the supplied converter. Bexley writing instruments are made with pride in the United States of America, and come with our lifetime warranty to give you many years of writing enjoyment. "

Peter