Write with fingers or whole arm?

CJohnL

I'm trying to improve my handwriting by learning italic. I'm two months in now and have had some improvement. Somewhere out there on the internet I read that people with nice, natural, flowing handwriting write with their whole arm as opposed to just their fingers.

I have been trying to do this, i.e keep my fingers still as much as possible and write with my arm, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is actually correct. It feels like its slowing up my progress and were I to return to using my fingers I would see results a lot faster.

Any advice much appreciated,

CJL

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wykpenguin

• Paddler

• jmkeuning

• swierski

Top Posters In This Topic

When I watch people who claim to write with the entire arm and who handwrite fluently, all of them -- so far -- have a fair amount of hand/wrist movement in there as well, even movements just where the fingers attach to the rest of the hand ... possibly some forearm movement (more so in the non-Italic styles of cursive) .. but (unlike the general run of "problem" handwriters) they have little or no finger-movement.

From this (and from other experience/observation), I've concluded that, if you want fluent clear handwriting, you'll do best to minimize or eliminate finger movements: without worrying too much about whether this leaves you with "whole-arm" movement or not: pretend that your fingers have turned to wood, and that you therefore cannot move your fingers (or any part of your fingers) except by moving your whole hand. (Probably the elimination of finger-movement will leave you with a predominantly "hand-and-wrist" movement.)

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'> <br><b><i><a href="http://pen.guide" target="_blank">Check out THE PEN THAT TEACHES HANDWRITING </a></span></strong></em></span></a><br><br><br><a href="

target="_blank">Video of the SuperStyluScripTipTastic Pen in action

Writing from the shoulder has been discussed quite recently here. This is quite a long thread and you may find the answer you're looking for.

caliken

I think arm/shoulder writing is more suited to styles other than italic. This page from Gunnlauger Briem's website suggests using a motion like you use to "wave goodbye" to write italic, and the illustrations show wrist movement. Briem also comments more on grip and motion in this downloadable pdf "presentation." It's in a combintation pdf and audio format that I got going by viewing at "full screen."

Good luck on your worthy quest!

Doug

Edited by HDoug

Whole arm movement needs getting used to. Of course drawing with fingers will get results faster, but the point of practicing is to avoid using too much finger movement.

I have a hard time to see how you could keep the pen angle constant if you used only finger movement.

As Ken says, the subject pops up now and then. The consensus seems to be that you need to move your whole arm, shoulder, arm, wrist and fingers included.

From my very limited experience with sharp italic nibs, I would say that you have to use your whole arm. Writing with the fingers changes the angle of the nib-to-paper so much, you are constantly hooking the paper surface.

I started to learn whole arm writing and found it a long, fatiguing process. It was enough of a chore that I began to question my motivation for doing it. Practice with my normal finger and wrist motion eventually produced writing that is easy for myself and others to read (the basic idea for writing in the first place). At unpredictable intervals, my writing can even be called "pretty". I think that will have to do. Now I think I should concentrate on content.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I cannot write with my arm. I am horrible at it. It hurts.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Never say never. Although it helps to have someone show you how.

Try to get used to using more than your finger muscles. At first, write big letters. Minuscules with a 2.5mm nib are a good idea. Focus on moving your arm. Once you get used to it, you can pay more attention to the shapes of the letters. I always doodle a bit before writing practice, think of it as stretching exercise.

It's all in the wrist.

Three things are certain in life, taxes, death, and the compliment,"You have great penmanship"