The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Any imput on the Waterman Exclusive?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 21:06

Something I didn’t know. From Wikipedia:
Brass is susceptible to stress corrosion cracking,[26] especially from ammonia or substances containing or releasing ammonia. The problem is sometimes known as season cracking after it was first discovered in brass cartridges used for rifle ammunition during the 1920s in the British Indian Army. The problem was caused by high residual stresses from cold forming of the cases during manufacture, together with chemical attack from traces of ammonia in the atmosphere. The cartridges were stored in stables and the ammonia concentration rose during the hot summer months, thus initiating brittle cracks. The problem was resolved by annealing the cases, and storing the cartridges elsewhere.

Sponsored Content

#22 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,954 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 23:46

Yes, and there are a couple of us around here who have some concern that habitual use of ammonia for flushing could lead to eventual stress corrosion cracking of gold (alloy) nibs.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#23 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:36

I have an Exclusive I bought at a clearance sale when they ended production.  I only just found this thread because I only just learned the model name.  Mine has a lovely nib, and seems to be happy with the long Waterman cartridges.  They just disappear inside the barrel, which might be a good thing to check.  If they do not go that far in I would look for some obstruction.     As it happens, I only recently realized that this pen suffered from the corrosion problem mentioned above. I normally use black ink in it and thought there was just an accumulation of black ink at that point, but trying to clean that off revealed otherwise.  I would think that if you can remove this part it might be possible to clean it up and replate it. 

I also have two Waterman 1900s which are sort of the economy version with less trim and gold plated steel nibs that are almost as nice.  Poking around the Internet just now I find that this model was more commonly known as the Maestro.  In the past I had tried searching for "Waterman 1900" and not turned up much.  This model does not have the trim ring that corrodes on the Exclusive.  However, the gunmetal grey finish on one of mine wore off in an area about the size of the hole punched in loose leaf filler paper. 

#24 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 June 2018 - 00:08

I’m afraid I’ve taken one of those smooth-writing 18k nibs and had Mr. Minuskin grind it to a stub. Less smooth a writer (still pretty smooth) but a more interesting one.

Sponsored Content

|