An ode to a Montblanc OBB nib... (*updated w/ pics*)

MDI

It's definitely not a girl pen, too large and bulky for that. I believe the nib is larger than a 146, but smaller than a 149.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MDI

• niksch

• Chris Chalmers

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Real nice. I have only two precious MBs with OBB nibs of modern origin: 146 and Voltaire. I went for this size of nib after experimenting with obliques from Parker when they first brought out the Duofolds with more nib sizes than you could shake a stick at. Started with a oblique fine (OF) and moved on the OB. Those Parkers had a very sharp edge to them and the nibs tended to be cut more like a true italic. When I tried the MBs it was quite a surprise because of the rounded edges allowing for much greater speed and expression of line. Congratulations on your great point!

OOh. Now i am worried, I have just purchased a 149 obb from fleabay. It is from c1950. I am a left hander and have only been playing with fountain pens for about 6 weeks. The last time I used fountain pens was back at school in the late 60s. I still don't quite know what I am looking for in a pen and I have been buying different pens to try. So far I have a modern MB 149 medium which is ok but nothing exciting, I also have a Pilot capless medium which writes nicely. I tried a Mabie Todd c1920 which was fine flex but when it arrived and after I filled it with MB British Racing Green, it would not write, the ink would not flow and the flexy tines looked like they had been sprung and then straightened badly which was disappointing. I purchased a Dollar pen broad oblique from an FPNer which is great fun to write with so I quite like `oblique broad` which is why I have bought the 149obb. I will just have to wait and see how it writes.

Regards

Greigster

Edited by greigster

Ever the pessimist, I don't want to build my hopes up to much as double broad is wider than any pen I have written with, and then if it turns out to be as good fun as my Dollar pen I will be happy.

I will keep you informed.

PS your nib looks awesome.

Regards

Greigster

I have two OBBs, one a Dostoevsky and the other a 146R, which I sought out because I thought my Pelikan 0.9mm OM proved I wrote best with an oblique. I discovered I was wrong.

An oblique is not an italic nib. If I remember it was suggested by Pelikan to be used by people who prefer to turn their pens counterclockwise when writing.

So an oblique may have some line variation but that is not it's primary reason for existance.

K

So an oblique may have some line variation but that is not it's primary reason for existance.

Kurt is right, of course. I imagine for every oblique nib like my OBB, there is a perfectly round oblique tip out there. I have two more MB obliques, a 149 & 146 oblique broads. Both are much less stub-like than this nib with the 149 having stronger line variation. QM2 has other MB obliques that (I think) may have some stubbish character. I think it's due to MB broad (and more so double-broad) nibs in general having somewhat stubbish appearance that MB obliques are also sought out for this characteristic.

Let's just say I'm happy that this one is a stub-extreme variation on the bell curve. :)

Collection: Pen Perfect | Ink: The Magic Fountain

Kurt is right, of course. I imagine for every oblique nib like my OBB, there is a perfectly round oblique tip out there. I have two more MB obliques, a 149 & 146 oblique broads. Both are much less stub-like than this nib with the 149 having stronger line variation. QM2 has other MB obliques that (I think) may have some stubbish character. I think it's due to MB broad (and more so double-broad) nibs in general having somewhat stubbish appearance that MB obliques are also sought out for this characteristic.

Let's just say I'm happy that this one is a stub-extreme variation on the bell curve. :)

JDidn't want to cause a fuss just want to add that there is a range of oblique nibs from round to chisel but it might be best to see a sample of the writing before buying so as not to be disappointed.

K

there is a range of oblique nibs from round to chisel but it might be best to see a sample of the writing before buying

And if your MB boutique or pen store doesn't let you dip, just bring your loupe and stare at the nib point with yoga-like concentration until the salesman starts sweating under the collar and offers 30% off suggested retail. :)

I wonder if you can do a nib exchange with Montblanc and specify that you want a more stubbish oblique, or they would just ignore your pleas and grab the first oblique in your size off the shelf... I suppose you could try, right?

Collection: Pen Perfect | Ink: The Magic Fountain

An oblique is not an italic nib.

True, and some gentlemen refuse to wear white jackets...regardless of the circumstances.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Hmmm.  See my post in the other topic.  I need this pen on loan for 10 days.

Since no one is "guessing," I might as well say that the pen in question is a Boheme "large."

It's a retractable cartridge-only filler. Apparently, one does not need a piston to feed that thirsty OBB nib. :)

Thank a Veteran.

It might be too girly for you.

That remains to be seen from the exertion of the experiment.

Thank a Veteran.

True, and some gentlemen refuse to wear white jackets...regardless of the circumstances.

Not sure what your comment is about- mine was trying to stress that purchasing an oblique expecting it to behave as an italic is going to give you a percentage of success.

K

My comment was about your ever changing avatar, and well, never mind.

Not sure what your comment is about- mine was trying to stress that purchasing an oblique expecting it to behave as an italic is going to give you a percentage of success.

K

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

• 1 year later...

Well now you've done it [with this post]

Having received my 149BB yesterday (and loving it), I'm about to consider purchasing another 149 - this time with an OBB.......Curse you, montblanc addiction!

Of course, I may have to wait for this dang AUD$ to sort itself out. It is hemorrhaging!

Enjoying my fountain pen and all the cool inks that come with it!

Having received my 149BB yesterday (and loving it), I'm about to consider purchasing another 149 - this time with an OBB.......Curse you, montblanc addiction!

Of course, I may have to wait for this dang AUD$ to sort itself out. It is hemorrhaging!

Um, Adam, I wonder if the caps on the OBBs swing back and forth....... :lol:

"I'm not superstitious -- I'm just a little stitious." Michael G. Scott

Um, Adam, I wonder if the caps on the OBBs swing back and forth....... :lol:

I don't usually use the little smiley faced jobbies, but............ :roflmho:

Enjoying my fountain pen and all the cool inks that come with it!

Just in case other lefties are reading this and sweating............... I'm a leftie, have been all my life :roflmho:

and I have one transitional 149 with a 50s OBB nib that is as sweet as a nut........and a similarly aged 146 with OBB nib - also a great writer!

Do not despair if you are thinking of an OBB - have faith - order one - buy one - steal one - but get one!!! :bunny01:

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!