Dating a vintage 136 (with pics uploaded)

skma

Hi dear all forumers,

I have been puzzled by the variations of vintage 13x series for a long time. Recently landed my hands on a vintage 136. Been googling and ebaying around for the variations. Anyone here know how to date a 136 precisely?

The cap ring, barrel, ink window (striped vs non-striped) probably all play a role?

I would be interested to know the differential 'value' on each of the variation version as well. Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

The 1st 136:

post-11299-1237562767_thumb.jpg

post-11299-1237562824_thumb.jpg

"In democracy, the quality of leaders reflects upon the quality of people, and vice versa."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skma

• niksch

• Diamondback

• fb1949

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Production timeframe can depend on the ink window (long or short), DRP imprint or not, dome, etc.  I think the best you can do is pre-WWII or post-WWII based on common characteristics, and being careful about things that are easily replaced, such as nibs and clips.

That third pen is an interesting transitional pen.

Edited by niksch

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Production timeframe can depend on the ink window (long or short), DRP imprint or not), dome, etc.  I think the best you can do is pre-WWII or post-WWII based on common characteristics, and being careful about things that are easily replaced, such as nibs and clips.

That third pen in an interesting transitional pen.

Thanks pal, always the 1st expert to post :)

Would that mean the transitional model be of higher value than the rest?

The 134 also has different variations which bear the similar characteristics ie barrel, ink windows, DRP imprint etc

"In democracy, the quality of leaders reflects upon the quality of people, and vice versa."

Would that mean the transitional model be of higher value than the rest?The 134 also has different variations which bear the similar characteristics ie barrel, ink windows, DRP imprint etc

Value is such a subjective thing.  I don't know if the transitional pen would be valued higher or not.  I sold a transitional 134 for $350.  Probably should have sold for higher, but these trying times...

The transitional 134s and 136s do tend to share the same characteristics.

Thank a Veteran.

Dating of vintage pens can be very problematic. Nevertheless, based on my reference sources, the 13x pens I have in my collection and the style of the ink windows, cap rings and clips, I would place the 136s you posted in the following date order of 1, 3 and 2. The long ink window in the first 136 was produced up to 1943. The second 136 looks to be late 1940s - early 1950s due to the cap rings which were characteristic of the 1950s 14x series. The third transitional 136 was produced around 1947-48 based on the style of the cap rings and the prismatic clip.

I am sure the vintage MB experts will correct me if I have got this wrong.

Mark

Edited by Diamondback

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try" Mark Twain (American Humourist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

Dating of vintage pens can be very problematic. Nevertheless, based on my reference sources, the 13x pens I have in my collection and the style of the ink windows, cap rings and clips, I would place the 136s you posted in the following date order of 1, 3 and 2. The long ink window in the first 136 was produced up to 1943. The second 136 looks to be late 1940s - early 1950s due to the cap rings which were characteristic of the 1950s 14x series. The third transitional 136 was produced around 1947-48 based on the style of the cap rings and the prismatic clip.

I am sure the vintage MB experts will correct me if I have got this wrong.

Mark

Thanks pal for the enlightenment :) So i guess the most vintage version would be the 1st pen then.

Are there other variations apart from these 3? :happyberet:

......So i guess the most vintage version would be the 1st pen then.

Yes that would be my opinion.

Are there other variations apart from these 3? :happyberet:

As Eric states above, I have seen other variations based on combinations of the length of the ink windows (long and short are somewhat arbitrary designations as the length of the ink window was not consistent), clips, cap rings and presence or absence of the DRP on the piston mechanism. As with a number of manufacturers, I suspect MB assembled pens from available compatible parts during model changeovers for economic reasons thus leading to transitional models.

Mark

Edited by Diamondback

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try" Mark Twain (American Humourist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

So i guess the most vintage version would be the 1st pen then. :happyberet:

Yes pen 1 is the oldest, the pen 3, then pen 2.  They are all documented.  Ditto on Mark's variation comments.

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

Another one i've managed to get from Max's website: http://www.maxpen.de/

Photos courtesy of max, who's also one of our forumers!

post-11299-1237652835_thumb.jpg

post-11299-1237652868_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...

More than eight years later, I would say that number 2 pen is mix. Cap is from around 50/52 and body/barrel from up to 43, retaining a mong window and hard rubber piston blind cap and clutch ring. From 50/52, these latter parts shoud be made of celluloid and the ink window should be shorter to very short. IMHO. Tom, Cristof, Max or Osman did not tell their opinion but I dare think they might approve.

Anyway, any of these pens would please me a lot to possess !!! :yikes: :notworthy1: :puddle: :wallbash: :crybaby: :)