Fuliwen Nobility Brown Celluliod

Motomo

First Impressions:

A couple of weeks back I did a review of the Fuliwen Black Nobility fountain pen that I purchased from www.goldquills.com so today I will submit a review of the Brown Celluloid Nobility that I picked up at the same time. As with the previous nobility pen I was intrigued by the looks and what drew me to the pen I am reviewing today was the color.

First impression of the this pen is that it is a good light to medium weight pen with a click on cap that gives a satisfying click when you cap it. It is just under five and a half inches capped and just under six inches posted. Unposted in has good balance but with the cap posted it feels a bit top heavy.

Appearance/finish:

As mentioned above what drew me to this pen was it's appearance. The body of the pen is a marbleized combination of browns, tans, black, and transparent posts that when others have looked at said it reminded them of rocks or shells. There is little in the way of ornamentation on the pen except for a couple of bands of silver and a faux black pearl on the end of the clip. The fit and finish of all the parts is good with nothing that stands out as ill fitting. The finish of the barrel is smooth but not overly slick like the previous Nobility Pen that I had reviewed. The other thing that is very different with this pen is the shape. Whereas the other Nobility Pen had a hourglass shape this one has much more of a tapered shape from the front of the barrel to the silver end cap at the bottom actually making it more comfortable in your hand.

Nib performance:

The performance of this pen is good. Just as I was surprised about the smoothness of the nib of the previous Fuliwen pen I am about this pen as well. It lays down a nice wet line that is close to a medium such as that found on a Safari or some of the Duke pens that own. I have filled it with both PR Black Magic Blues and Waterman Havana Brown and had very good results with each. Even after sitting for a couple of days, with just a small amount of coaxing, it starts right up and lays down it's normal wet line.

Filling system:

The Fuliwen uses normal international cartridges or the supplied twist converter. I ended up using a converter out of another pen due to the ill fit of the one that I received with the pen. The ill fit allowed the converter to disconnect itself from the nib/feed assembly.

Value:

I paid with shipping around $10 for this pen. Even though it is a cheap Chinese pen it does look good and the fit and finish have no major issues. It has a smooth nib and unposted fits comfortable in the hand for extended writing sessions. In my opinion it was well worth the $10 bucks.

Conclusion:

In conclusion I wanted to say something about the seller of this and the previous Nobility pen I reviewed. I have bought from their direct website and from them on Ebay and either way I have not had any issues with the transaction what so ever. If you are looking for a place to get a few knock around pens www.goldquills.com is one that I would recommend.

Thanks as always!

post-25041-1237553245_thumb.jpg

Edited by Motomo

Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• lovemy51

• Motomo

• saimir

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice pen Motomo, and good price too if the pen indeed is celluloid(cellulose nitrate). Does the barrel give out a slight camphor smell? I also wanted to ask if the barrel has a inside metallic sleeve.

Warm Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Very nice pen Motomo, and good price too if the pen indeed is celluloid(cellulose nitrate). Does the barrel give out a slight camphor smell? I also wanted to ask if the barrel has a inside metallic sleeve.

Warm Regards,

Hari

I do not notice any kind of a smell to the pen which probably means it is not celluloid. As in regards to a metal sleeve, Inside the cap you have the normal plastic/nylon or whatever it is made out of inner sleeve and a inner metal band at the bottom of the cap. On the barrel you have a threaded section at the very top to screw the nib/feed assembly in and at the bottom of the barrel and end cap. Other than that if you take out the nib/feed and hold it up to the light it is very translucent.

The more I right with this pen the more I enjoy it due to it's weight. Most of the time I like a pen that has good balance with the cap posted but this one writes so good with the cap off and feels so good in the hand I can live without posting the cap.

Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Thank you for the review. I am about to buy one too but it doesn't have a converter so I wanted to ask you what kind of converter do Fuliwen pens accept.

Thank you!

Saimir

Hi! Thank you for the review. I am about to buy one too but it doesn't have a converter so I wanted to ask you what kind of converter do Fuliwen pens accept.

Thank you!

Saimir

welcome to FPN, saimir!

my fuliwen, although a different model than the OP's, takes the waterman converter (i just tested it). it also takes international cartridges!!!

Edited by lovemy51

I do not notice any kind of a smell to the pen which probably means it is not celluloid. As in regards to a metal sleeve, Inside the cap you have the normal plastic/nylon or whatever it is made out of inner sleeve and a inner metal band at the bottom of the cap. On the barrel you have a threaded section at the very top to screw the nib/feed assembly in and at the bottom of the barrel and end cap. Other than that if you take out the nib/feed and hold it up to the light it is very translucent.

The more I right with this pen the more I enjoy it due to it's weight. Most of the time I like a pen that has good balance with the cap posted but this one writes so good with the cap off and feels so good in the hand I can live without posting the cap.

Thanks Motomo, I think I will start looking for This pen in Mumbai.

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.