Parker Urban

mr T.

1. First Impressions (3/5)

This pen comes in a (standard) plastic case with a warranty card, a cartridge and a manual. Everything looks very basic. It is functional packaging and nothing more.

post-4926-1237258487_thumb.jpg

2. Appearance & Finish - (5/5)

The barrel and cap of this pen are made from laquered brass and the clip and nib are made from stainless steel (chrome trim). The grip is made from plastic. The top of the cap is flat and imprinted with the Parker "P".

post-4926-1237256240_thumb.jpg

post-4926-1237256542_thumb.jpg

3. Design/ Size/Weight- (5/5)

This 'bullet'-shaped pen looks very modern and is very well made. It is a heavy pen. It is, compared with a Parker 45 flighter or a Parker Frontier flighter slightly heavier. The Parker Urban is, compared with the Parker Frontier, also longer. It has a length of 15,5 cm (cap posted) and has a diameter of 1,3 cm (grip). The shape/design is unusual for a fountain pen but makes it comfortable to use.

post-4926-1237257858_thumb.jpg

post-4926-1237256770_thumb.jpg

post-4926-1237257595_thumb.jpg

4. Nib Design & Performance- (5/5)

The nib and feed on this pen are very good. This pen is fitted with a fully exposed f-nib. The nib is quite firm (these are the same nibs as fitted on the Parker Vector and the Parker IM/Profile). I have experienced no skipping or other problems at all. The Urban starts immediately, even after leaving it uncapped for some time. This pen is a fairly dry writer. Compared with a m-nib Frontier, this nib produces a nice fine line. The f-nib is smooth and suitable for left handed users.

post-4926-1237257218_thumb.jpg

post-4926-1237258180_thumb.jpg

5. The Filling System- (4/5)

This is a cartridge pen. It takes proprietary Parker cartridges. I also used this pen with a Parker converter without problems. Didn't notice any difference in performance between using cartridges (Quink Washable Blue) or bottled ink (Quink Blue).

6. Cost/Value- (3,5/5)

Bought this pen at a B&M shop for about € 32,-. For that money, the owner gets a decent, comfortable and reliable pen. In my opinion, this very nice pen is not really a bargain but is fair priced. The Urban did not come with a converter.

The Parker Urban fp is at the moment in The Netherlands only available at B&M Parker retailers. This Urban fp is available here since a couple of weeks and is in penshops not openly on display yet. The owner of the shop where I bought this pen told me that there will be an official productlaunch this summer. Until then, Parker retailers will sell the Urban fp only at request.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mr T.

• dadoody

• lovemy51

• Zombify

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanx for the review. i'm glad you like your pen. i think i've seen these in BP, but never in FP (interesting shape). sorry for saying this, but i do like the the look of the frontier better ;) )

regards,

I picked up an Urban in Singapore a couple of months ago. Mine is brushed stainless steel with a medium nib. Initially, I found the shape a little aawkward to hold but it has really grown on me and now I love this pen for everyday use. It's interesting that you describe yours as "fairly dry." Mine is wet. With some inks (Doctors), it is extremely wet and lays down a lot of ink. It does much better with Pelikan ink. Haven't tried anything else in it yet. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Thanks for the review.

baazjg

It's interesting that you describe yours as "fairly dry."

Probably the f-nib (and feed) on the Urban is adjusted to produce a light flow of ink. I am a left handed writer and had never a problem with smudging with the f-nib.

Thank you for the review.

For starters this pen is ranked up with the Waterman Phileas in my book.

I love the curvy body and the nib on it.

Good buy for the money.

Respect to all

For starters this pen is ranked up with the Waterman Phileas in my book.

It is indeed as good as the Waterman Phileas for everyday use and is about the same price as the Waterman Kultur. According to the seller, the Parker Urban fp is made in China or in France (probably in the same factory as where Waterman pens are made).

Edited by mr T.

• 2 months later...

I acquired one this morning (matte black body, medum nib, f was not available unfortunately...).

30€ with a parker twist converter (5€), a bunch of Pelikan blue cartridges (thrown in the package by the saleswoman), and a bottle of aurora black ink (45.ml) I paid 36€ of the bunch, so the aurora ink was just 1 €!!! :lol: .

Anyway, the pan is not too wet, but it surely isn't a dry writer. I've written 6 pages only this morning and for the first two it skipped a bit, now everithing is ok, evidently it needed time...

A fairly good an fairly heavy pen for the price, good for any starter, just be patient the first couple of pages. ;)

• 5 months later...

I bought the black and silver version of this pen two days ago from Carefour (French version of Walmart) in Shanghai, China. I got the nice box, hard with a cloth interior. I am pretty sure they gave me the wrong box but no big deal to me other then have the wrong product number I guess, it also came with the standard converter instead of a cartridge. Part of that I assume is not being given the right box and also converters are more popular choice in China, every store carries ink bottles. I picked it up for 398 yuan with comes to about 58 USD, so like the OP said not a super deal but still not bad for a metal FP. I have found it writes very smoothly and dry. I am assuming it is a F (i can't tell) but it writes as thin as my Cross ATX XF and I am using Hero brand ink. The shape is non-classical for a fountain pen but as soon as you get used to the feel it is more comfortable right away.

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a this pen in the black with gold finish model that came with a bottle of black ink 2 black ink cartrages and 2 blue cartrages also it came with a converter, got it at office max for $50 the pen looked so good I had to buy it. I got it home and used it one time, it constantly skipped so I sent it into parker under their warranty they are replacing the entire pen, it has been gone for going on 4 weeks. They said they sent it back to me last week, really hoping it comes soon so I can really put it through its paces.

• 2 months later...

I have seen them listed in the latest Colorado Pens Direct catalog along with a new Jotter series with

a fountain pen. The prices seem quite reasonable. Might just have to give them a try. ( No affiliation

with Colorado Pens.)

Bob

I've got a hot pink coloured Urban with an M nib and I really like it. It's nice to hold and it writes smoothly and about 6/10 on the wetness scale. The shading in the MB Oyster Grey shows nicely when I write with it. It only ever skips when there's something greasy on the paper but a lot of pens do that.

Can't use it posted as the cap is quite hefty but otherwise it's a really nice pen to use. I really like the curvy shape and the hot pink colour is very pretty. Mine came with a converter and in a nice box with a cartridge as well.

I like Parker because even their inexpensive pens have performed very satisfactorily out of the box every time I've got one.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

I recently got myself an Urban (stainless steel, chrome trim, M nib) from Monsieur Lewertowski, and what can I say? It's even better than I expected, a wonderful everyday pen.

i finally saw it at office-max for $45 (not sure of the price now, but it's close). i would buy it for $25... :rolleyes:

I recently got myself an Urban (stainless steel, chrome trim, M nib) from Monsieur Lewertowski, and what can I say? It's even better than I expected, a wonderful everyday pen.

hmmm, SS sounds and looks good: http://cgi.ebay.com/PARKER-URBAN-CLASSIC-METRO-METALLIC-FOUNTAIN-PEN-M-NIB-/380220590495?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_PensPencils_WritingEquipment_SM&hash=item5886e9c99f

• 1 month later...

Was going to buy a Water Phileas, but bought this pen based solely on looks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YG0BF2/ref=oss_product

39.99 on Amazon for the pen with converter, 4 cartridges and a big bottle of Parker ink.

I really really wanted a Fine point, but conceded to Medium nib due to price and availability.

Edited by dadoody

I really liked this pen. It is solid, very well built and heavy.

I will be happy as long as it is a smooth and consistent writer. That's all I really look for.