More Glass! Haro II Pen

Robert Hughes

I got this neat old glass-nib pen from Germany, a "Haro II", probably pre-WW2 as it's hard rubber. It's a lever filler, unlike the crescent filler of the Spors pen, but they both take sacs (which were both of course completely rotted out when I got them). I suspect the Haro pen got dropped on its glass nib at some point, as it showed some evidence of damage to the tip - chips & etc. I sanded it down and now it works pretty good, though the Spors (having been NOS) is a finer writer. I wonder if I can find another glass nib for it somewhere? Doesn't really matter, as it works as is, but is a rather broad tip for writing those cramped little postcard texts I like to do.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3637/3335938168_b4692a702e.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/3335101299_f6bed71eb4_o.jpg

Edited by Robert Hughes

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Hughes

• bwnewton

• pmorin

• holgalee

Wow! Neat indeed! I saw a glass nib pen on sale on ebay recently but didn't bid. Looks like you did a good sanding job!

Very interesting. Could you describe the difference between this glass nib and a metal nail nib, for example the edson?

Nice pen - I picked up a Mondial BCHR lever fill c1920, and they are great to write with. I do agree though.... I find it a touch broad as I prefer XF nibs. I wasn't aware there were many other brands, but shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks for posting the photos.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

- Douglas Adams

SnailBadge.jpg      PostcardBadge.jpg      InkExchange.jpg

So I've been writing with this pen for a few days and have found that:

- It writes like a (really stiff) medium tip FP does,

- It dries out easily, and needs priming to get going at the beginning of a writing session,

- The "dry side" that doesn't put down ink is rather annoying,

- The "wet side" is easy to find and works without a problem,

- After about a page of writing (with Lamy B/B, a rather dry ink) the feed gets a little stingy. I bet this pen would like an ink with more flow.

All in all, I like it. :thumbup:

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

• 4 months later...
About a week ago I saw a glass pen in an antique shop like the one pictured. However, the ink reservoir (not sure what kind) seemed missing or long ago rotted. Can they be restored?

Yes. I have one (It's a Mondial - Venetian Italian glass nib, from Italy) that is a lever filler. The person I purchased it from had it resacced. If I remember, when they purchased it they were able to also have a different glass nib fitted.

J. Herbin sells dipping pens, and claim you can recondition the tip with a bit of emery cloth (haven't tried that).

If the pen and nib are in good shape, and the price is good, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. Very cool pens. I really like mine.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

- Douglas Adams

SnailBadge.jpg      PostcardBadge.jpg      InkExchange.jpg

About a week ago I saw a glass pen in an antique shop like the one pictured. However, the ink reservoir (not sure what kind) seemed missing or long ago rotted. Can they be restored?

Yes. I have one (It's a Mondial - Venetian Italian glass nib, from Italy) that is a lever filler. The person I purchased it from had it resacced. If I remember, when they purchased it they were able to also have a different glass nib fitted.

J. Herbin sells dipping pens, and claim you can recondition the tip with a bit of emery cloth (haven't tried that).

If the pen and nib are in good shape, and the price is good, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. Very cool pens. I really like mine.

Thanks for the information.