Omas 556/S Brevetto 445846

youstruckgold

Picture to follow:

post-17017-1236214709_thumb.jpg

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fabri00

• Pen_Noob

• Precise

• jpgeorgief

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please, let us see this "ordinary" pen!

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Cheers,

OK, here' 'tis:

post-17017-1236499750_thumb.jpg

post-17017-1236499849_thumb.jpg

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks for the review! I have an OMAS 555/s, the smaller version of this pen without the ink window. The 1950s OMAS 14K nibs are first-rate, and the pens are indeed keepers. For the sake of comparison, the OMAS 555/s is pictured below, front and center.

post-2898-1236510047_thumb.jpg

Enjoy the pen, and thanks again for the review.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

I didn't see this when it was first posted. That pen does look a bit familiar, though... :D

I think we could do with a lot more vintage pen reviews. Thanks for sharing!

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Well most of 55x I've seen have an ink window like this. But recently I've seen some without it and don't know if it's an original Omas and if these write differently. I looked up all the time in FPN and fountainpen.it but could gain not much information. Does somebody know about this?

looks outstanding :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 3 years later...

QUOTE (diplomat @ Mar 7 2009, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers,

OK, here' 'tis:

post-125012-0-86920900-1450249997_thumb.jpg

I just won a pen like this on ebay. I haven't inked it yet, because the nib needs some work. But I'm impressed by the flexibility of the nib. It rivals vintage flex nibs. I have a number of more modern Omas pens which aren't even half as flexible (although they feel very soft when writing).

Best Alan

Edited by Precise

I have now adjusted the nib and inked the pen. I have no experience with flex nibs. It is so flexible that even very light touch spreads the tines and produces a wet line, wetter than I like.

Do your pens with nibs like this do the same thing?

• 1 year later...

I have just found an OMAS 556/S in some sort of grey pearl celluloid with gold trim and brown ink window.

I am really amazed with this nib. Wish we could find more of these.

Since this appears to be one of the only topics in FPN about this pen, I thought I should post some pictures for comparison. Please excuse my poor attempt at copperplate-ish calligraphy, but I think it allows you to have an idea of what this pen is capable of.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, the lighting was inadequate.

post-133068-0-07931400-1498793616_thumb.jpg

post-133068-0-42069400-1498793635_thumb.jpg

post-133068-0-67832300-1498793645_thumb.jpg

post-133068-0-85784300-1498793655_thumb.jpg

post-133068-0-58412900-1498793666_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pen,but the cap is not his original.

It does seem to match the rest of the pen... Both are gray marbled.

How can you tell? Would you like me to post some better pictures?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Edited by jpgeorgief

It does seem to match the rest of the pen... Both are gray marbled.

How can you tell? Would you like me to post some better pictures?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

from the pictures it looked solid back, but if you say it marbled, then it is original.

• 6 years later...

Hi everyone....does this pen have an internal ink sac?  Sorry if it's a ridiculous question, but I'm new to this pen.  Thank you