Dostoevsky vs Wilde

QM2

Both of these models are on my wishlist and I may have opportunity to acquire one of them in the near future. I am interested in your preferences between these two. I do realise that these things are highly subjective -- so yes, I am interested in your subjective views.

As for myself, I will list the "cons" for each model that make me not 100% certain: the jewel on the Dostoevsky's clip -- does it detract from the design? I am worried that it might. And the pattern on the Wilde: does it look "tigerish/leopardish" in person?

Thanks in advance for all opinions, personal anecdotes, etc.

Edited by QM2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• MDI

• Michael R.

• Diamondback

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have the Wilde, and it does look "wild". I was amazed MB would make a Meisterstuck LE that is such a departure from their conservative nature. I love it!

I also love the Dostoevsky's guilloche barrel.

I too have the Wilde and agree with Jeen, it is wild! I love the barrel and the filler knob, the simple nib...its very special in my view.

W

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Easy for me. I want the Wilde. I have passed on several Dostoevskys but not any Wildes. The clip on the Dostoevsky ruins the pen for me, but each to his own.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Thanks for the replies so far.

Could anybody tell me what exactly is the design engraved on Dostoevsky's barrel? The last time I saw the pen was over a year ago and I do not remember, nor can I find any close-up photos of the chasing. Is it a floral motif, or a geometrical one?

Edited by QM2

Thanks for the replies so far.

Could anybody tell me what exactly is the design engraved on Dostoyevsky's barrel? The last time I saw the pen was over a year ago and I do not remember, nor can I find any close-up photos of the chasing. Is it a floral motif, or a geometrical one?

So far I only have the Dostoevsky of the two mentioned ones but I really would like a Wilde one day as well. The Dostoevsky is wonderful and much nicer in real life than on pictures. But I think the Wilde is still nicer (if you like the pattern and color of the barrel) but also c. 1/3 more expensive....

The pattern of the Dostoevsky is purely geometrical and is repeated on the cap bands and nib; on www.fountainpen.de you can find some images showing the engraving - especially on the close up picture of the rollerball the engraving is visable:

http://www.fountainpen.de/writer-dostoevsky.htm

Cheers

Michael

Great, thank you Michael!

Sometimes it is the most obvious websites that we forget to visit (I always think of fountainpen.de as a vintage site, but of course it has all the modern pens as well)!

So the pattern on the Dostoevsky is basically an art-decoish stylised version of xoxo. Good to know. For a moment there I was worried it might be the MB logo : )

Edited by QM2

If you can afford get the Wilde which looks more like a true vintage pen while the Dostoevsky looks more like an interpretation.

Cheers

Michael

QM2,

Have you read Richard Binder's review of the Dostoyevsky? He was very impressed with the pen and Richard is not one who usually likes MB LEs.

I also have this pen and do not think that the jewel detracts from the aesthetics. Having said this I am also going to get the Wilde as I like the vintage styling of this pen. Of the two, I would say the Wilde's design is closer to vintage style I think you like if you can get past the rather flamboyant barrel resin.

Mark

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try" Mark Twain (American Humourist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

Oh man, I wish I'd never seen that gorgeous geometric design. Now I want one! :bonk:

Dostoevsky vs Wilde

This sounds like a Monty Python skit. Are they going to wrestle, or perhaps run an obstacle course?

Fred

Are they going to wrestle, or perhaps run an obstacle course?

I wish : )

Mark -- yes, I did see Binder's review... But what kind of review would he have written about the Wilde had he been gifted that pen as well? So you see, that factor is difficult to take into consideration objectively!

Edited by QM2

... But what kind of review would he have written about the Wilde had he been gifted that pen as well? So you see, that factor is difficult to take into consideration objectively : )

Point taken, but he does provide what I consider a balanced review for someone who is not an avowed MB aficionado like many of us who frequent this forum.

Mark

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try" Mark Twain (American Humourist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

...he does provide what I consider a balanced review for someone who is not an avowed MB aficionado like many of us who frequent this forum.

Oh, without a doubt. I am a frequent visitor of that review : )

I have the Dostoevsky and find it a very attractive pen. I don't have the Wilde, but i like it very much. I don't collect WE so it will not be found on any of my lists. How about a different approach: Which writer do you prefer ?

This might sound strange but if i was planning to buy a pen associated with a writer i would make sure i really like the writer's work. I am a big fan of Dostoevsky so all is good here :happyberet:

Nikolaos

Edited by Nikolaos

QM2,

Have you read Richard Binder's review of the Dostoyevsky? He was very impressed with the pen and Richard is not one who usually likes MB LEs.

Mark

I think all of the WE pens are very similar in construction and writing quality (they share the same feed/nib construction) so differences are purely asthetical.

Michael

This might sound strange but if i was planning to buy a pen associated with a writer i would make sure i really like the writer's work. I am a big fan of Dostoevsky so all is good here :happyberet:

I have read pretty much everything by both of them, though Dostoevsky is my favourite of the two. The interest in Wilde was mostly limited to my teenage years (and it was more like an obsession!), but Dostoevsky has endured better over time.

Still, this would not be a determining factor for me. Schiller is not one of my favourite authors, but the Schiller WE pen is my favourite Montblanc so far. On the other hand, Fitzgerald is one of my favourite authors, and that was a big reason for having gotten the Fitzgerald WE, but I ended up selling the pen because it just didn't feel like "me". Same with Hemingway and Shaw: some of my favourite authors, but the pens do not attract me at all, and so I would not buy them.

I can flip a coin for you if you like. :)

The correct response would have been "Why don't I get you both, dear!"

But anyway, I am not asking people to decide for me. I really just wanted to hear who had which pen and what they thought. Sometimes an issue or a factor gets brought up in these discussions that one might not have been aware of.

Edited by QM2