Noodler's Bulletproof Hunter Green

JimCouch

I have a journal project that has been crying out for green ink. I started out with the PR Sherwood Green, which is a fantastic green BTW, but when I heard about the Noodler's Bulletproof Hunter Green I had to get a bottle and give it a try! The thought of a waterproof, lasts forever ink for this project was to good to pass up!

The Hunter Green is one of Noodler's 'Luxury' inks and is packaged in a small (1 oz) bottle. At $13.00 for the 1 ounce bottle it is not cheap.

The Hunter Green is a very nice color, and very close to the PR Sherwwod Green. In comparing the two inks side by side, the Hunter Green leans a touch toward the yellow side of green while the Sherwood leans a touch toward blue. Both are what I would call a good forest green. Both inks are well saturated.

The two images below both look very accurate on my (uncalibrated) monitor and print out accuratly. The color differences are subtle so it may be hard to see on a monitor.

I like the flow of both inks very well. The hunter green might be just a bit 'thicker' but flow is good on both inks. The Hunter Green appears to dry a bit faster than the Sherwood Forest although neither dries particualrily rapidly.

At $13..00 for a 1 ounce bottle vs $7.50 for 1.7 ounces (50ml) is the Hunter Green worth the extra cost. If you want or need the 'Bulletproof' qualities (waterproof, 'fraud' proof, last next to forever, ect) in a green ink it probably will be, otherwise the PR is a much more economical ink. Both colors are excellent, and very similar. I will be using the Hunter Green for my journal project!

Excuse my poor handwriting - for some reason no matter what I spend on pens and ink it just does not improve! :(

Jim

post-35-1144385060_thumb.jpg

Edited by JimCouch

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JimCouch

• KCat

• BillTheEditor

• Tara

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Jim! That was fast! A good review, a good photo sample and a really useful comparison B) .

Edited by Goodwhiskers

Thank you for the review. If it were not for the extreme price difference, I would switch from PR "Smearwood" immediately. I hope Nathan might offer it in a larger quantity in the future for a more reasonable price (if the color catches on). That would be wonderful. I love a good dark green.

Edited by baronofthenorth

Super review, Jim - thanks! My bottle should be here on Saturday :)

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Thanks for the review!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Jim, How does the new ink compare to PR Avacado.... and ink I hated and am now starting to like..... GO FIGURE !!!

Jim, How does the new ink compare to PR Avacado.... and ink I hated and am now starting to like..... GO FIGURE !!!

I have not tried the Avacado myself, so I am not sure how the two would compare. It would be interesteing to try the two side by side. I will PM you about a possible ink swap.

Jim

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

If you still have the samples, would you consider putting then under the water tap for a minute and posting the reult?

Randy

If you still have the samples, would you consider putting then under the water tap for a minute and posting the reult?

Randy

I actually ran them under the tap this morning so they would have the day to dry. I will post the samples tonight.

Jim

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

on my monitor that looks dangerously close to Penman Emerald...

Emerald is slightly yellower than Sherwood as it appears this ink is.

oh... is it safe to dream that this might be true? I'd pay the extra $ for it. AFter all, a bottle of Penman can run $20 or more these days.

Can I pay someone for a small sample of the stuff or check out my list of inks in the ink trade thread?

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

on my monitor that looks dangerously close to Penman Emerald...

Emerald is slightly yellower than Sherwood as it appears this ink is.

oh... is it safe to dream that this might be true?  I'd pay the extra $ for it.  AFter all, a bottle of Penman can run $20 or more these days.

Can I pay someone for a small sample of the stuff or check out my list of inks in the ink trade thread?

The Hunter Green is, indeed, very slightly yellower than the Sherwood. I have sent you a PM about a possible sample trade.

Jim

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Randy

Randy,

Ask and ye shall receive! Here is the sample after being washed in running water!

Jim

post-35-1144465130_thumb.jpg

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for the review and the test! This looks like a wonderful green to me indeed! Another one on the list I am afraid :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

You are welcome everyone, and thank you for the kind comments. This was my first ink review, and I really enjoyed it. Look for more revies from me in the near future.

Jim

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

I'm a bit late getting to it, but thanks for the review. Will look forward to your future reviews, too. :)

Best, Ann

I have to say that Hunter Green is one nice looking green ink. Thanks for the review. And thanks for the water test.

I may need to wait until I win the lottery before I buy it, at $13.50 an ounce, but it is tempting.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell