Sheaffer Balance Vac-Fill-review

goodguy

Never had an operational Sheaffer Vac-Fill and when Sean Gosse (SMG) told me he can fix these pens I though to myself this is a good time to buy one let Sean fix it for me and see what the Vac-Fill all about.

A good friend of mine from Florida was selling one so I bought it and right away gave it to Sean to fix the filling mechanism with a specific request to work on the nib and make it smooth and wet.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture014-5.jpg

Today I got the pen in the mail and here are the results.

First I must admit that unlike my snorkels I know very little about this specific model.

The pen has brown stripes on it and what I believe to be nickel trim.

The pen is in real good condition with no scratches or cracks and the trim is in a real nice condition.

The Balance design is timeless, a real beautify and the shape of the pen makes this design to be exceptionaly comfortable to write with.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture017-5.jpg

Like most pens from this era the pen is not a very big pen but it sits comfortly in the hand. It’s about 13.3cm capped and is light weight and very nicely balanced with just a hint of being bottom heavy.

As I expected the filling mechanism worked flawlessly and seams like it does takes a large amount of ink.

You operate this by unscrewing the bottom of the pen and pulling the rod out all the way. Then when the nib is immersed in the ink you push quickly in and the ink is sucked into the barrel.

Again as far as I know this pen has no sac in it so the whole barrel is basically the ink tank and thus it can hold a large amount of ink and as far as I know the Vac-Fill holds the most ink for a pen in its size and is passed only by eye dropper pens.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture020-2.jpg

The pen has a 14k two tone fine No.5 Feather Touch nib, this is a rather small nib and is very firm with basically no flex at all to it.

I put the nib on the paper and yet again Sean didn’t disappoint me, his intimate knowledge with the way I love my nib is amazing. Even though this nib is so firm and I LOVE nibs with some flex this nib brought a big smile to my face.

The nib is wonderfully smooth and leaves a nicely rich line of ink. The amount of feedback from the nib was surprisingly good and turned this good pen into a real pleasurable pen.

I found myself scribbling with the pen and simply couldn’t put the pen down.

A pen that cost me far less then 100$ altogether and writes like a champ is a great find in my book.

Summery

This is a nice change from the expensive MB I usualy buy. Its nice to review a pen I plan to actualy use. I bought it specificaly to use it and after seeing what a good writer it is and how little money I invested in it I see I did really good on it.

These pens are easily available and for those who want a solid vintage pen with tons of class and character this pen is worth thinking of. The huge ink capacity is a nice bonus and its great to know you buy a pen you will not have to fill in the middel of an important meeting or in the middel of a lecture.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• AKMA

• rroossinck

• AndyH

I've got a nearly-identical model and I couldn't agree with you more, Amir. These standard-sized Balances (as well as their big-brother counterparts) are absolutely fantastic writers.

Amir, I hope you hang on to this one for a little while. Your opinions of it will continue to grow fonder. :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

I just bought a tortoiseshell Vac-Fill with a very sweet italic nib (can't really tell whether it's original or modded, but if it's a later modification, it's a good job). The filling mechanism is shot, though, and the prospect of repairing it gives me pause; I take it that you recommend Sean Gosse for this?

Currently inked: Targa, fluted gold / Pelikan M400 / Parker 45 (Steel &Olive) / Sheaffer 440 Blue

Good review Amir, I did not know Sean could fix Vac Fil Sheaffers. Hmm...very tempting for a Parker/Pelikan fan.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

I've got a nearly-identical model and I couldn't agree with you more, Amir. These standard-sized Balances (as well as their big-brother counterparts) are absolutely fantastic writers.

Amir, I hope you hang on to this one for a little while. Your opinions of it will continue to grow fonder. :)

Sean is a great guy and a great pen tech.

He should get your pen fixed really fast.

Respect to all

That is my father's fountain pen!!!! :)

I am using it at this very moment to mark up a twenty page loan agreement, and it writes smoothly as the day it came out of the factory.

I did not know the exact model before - but mine is exactly identical, down to the nib and furniture. The stripes appear to be a bit less brownish and more greenish, but definitely the same pen.

Does anyone know approximately the year of manufacture?

Thanks so much for posting this trip - it's a very nostalgic one for me!

Andy

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

I just bought a tortoiseshell Vac-Fill with a very sweet italic nib (can't really tell whether it's original or modded, but if it's a later modification, it's a good job). The filling mechanism is shot, though, and the prospect of repairing it gives me pause; I take it that you recommend Sean Gosse for this?

Hi there, these are super sweet writing pens and do deserve to be restored if they are not operational. I have been doing these pens for a while now and use all the same materials and methods which Richard Binder and Ron Zorn use.

I would caution you if you have not restored one of these before that they are not easy, which is an understatement. There are specific parts and some dedicated tooling needed to do them correctly with minimal risk to the pen. If I had an italic version I would have it sent to a professional, or semi professional (in my case). :)

If you are interested in having the pen done, please shoot me a pm and we can discuss backchannel.

Amir, thanks so much for your kind words regarding my work. The pen is a very nice user, and should serve you well for a long time to come. So glad you are happy with it.

Cheers,

Sean

PenRx is no longer in business.

Nice review goodguy, it's so refreshing to see you purchased a nice Sheaffer after all those MBs :)

I love Balances but so far I focused on the lever filler models.

Now I will look for one of these, I am intrigued by the filler mechanism but refrained by its apparent fragility. They are not easy to find in good condition.

Does anybody know if it requires some extra caring in normal use? Like it needs to be used in order to keep the mechanism lubricated?

Thanks again for the review.

Andre

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Nice review goodguy, it's so refreshing to see you purchased a nice Sheaffer after all those MBs :)

I love Balances but so far I focused on the lever filler models.

Now I will look for one of these, I am intrigued by the filler mechanism but refrained by its apparent fragility. They are not easy to find in good condition.

Does anybody know if it requires some extra caring in normal use? Like it needs to be used in order to keep the mechanism lubricated?

Thanks again for the review.

Andre

Not sure but I would say I think it needs no special care.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

My father's lay unused from approximately 1970 through 1985, and worked as well when I filled it then as it had on the day he last set it down. I have used it intermittently for the past two decades, but generally kept it inked with no problem. I do not think it fills quite as full as it once did, but in general it has required no additional care or maintenance beyond what you'd give any vintage pen.

Andy

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

Vac-fill Balances are the bees knees! I've a couple OS Balance Vac-fills in the shop, can't wait to get 'em back! Wonderful pens, the whole Balance line. :D

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

RevAaron, you and I have unnervingly similar taste in pens. Are we related somehow?

Currently inked: Targa, fluted gold / Pelikan M400 / Parker 45 (Steel &Olive) / Sheaffer 440 Blue

I just wanted to add, since I apparently went momentarily (?) brain-dead, and chip in my two cents for Sean's work. I have, on multiple occasions now, sent him some of the most precious pens in my collection to work on. His work is exceptionally detailed...and he's not afraid to fabricate parts from scratch, from what I gather! :)

AKMA, my VacFil Balance has a FT #5 two-tone stub on it from the factory like it sounds like yours does. Just wait 'til you get it restored. Once you load that thing for business...good things will continue to happen until it runs dry!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Vac-fill Balances are the bees knees! I've a couple OS Balance Vac-fills in the shop, can't wait to get 'em back! Wonderful pens, the whole Balance line. :D

I love the oversize Balance,those could be very comfy in the hand.

Respect to all

Amir, I see you've reviewed some Parker Vacumatics. I wonder how you'd compare the two, especially in terms of ink capacity.

Amir, I see you've reviewed some Parker Vacumatics. I wonder how you'd compare the two, especially in terms of ink capacity.

I was actualy thinking about comparing the two.

In many ways these pens are alike.

I will concider this.

The vac is at home and the Sheaffer at work so I might do a comparison review latter this week.

Respect to all

My italic-nib Balance just un-froze and started plunging. If it doesn't leak at the back seal, I'm in business!

Later edit: Well, looks lilke it's not sucking up ink. Sean, I PM'ed you as you requested; if you look here before you look for mail, please know that I'm interested in your working on this pen.

Edited by AKMA

Nice review, I was interested in buying one oversized vac filled balance, might see in the future.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nice review, I was interested in buying one oversized vac filled balance, might see in the future.

Well Georges I know you like pens with flex nibs and this is a pretty stiff nib so keep that in mind before you will get a Sheaffer Balance. Other then that this is a sweet pen :D

Respect to all