Italic Nib Question

Guest ketan889

Guest ketan889

I was wondering if you write in print(not cursive) will you get benefits from using an italic or stub nib? I write 100% of the time using print, and I often see things labeled cursive italic so I don't know if that is meant for people who write in cursive. Some people have told me the italic nib improves their handwriting, any more thoughts on that?

-Ketan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCkc

• Stephen-I-am

• framebaer

• RonB

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it does!!! I use my wide stubs for printing too. The size of the italic, Stub or cursive depends on several factors.

How large or small is your writing?

Do you want line variation?

Do you want a super smooth writer?

How crisp do you want your characters?

Check out Richard Binders website Richard Binder

I am sure a lot of your questions can be answered better than I can on Richards site.

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

whenI print --my italics make the line variation between vertical and horizontal look very nice. Also you end up learning to put little feet on some of the letters which also looks nice

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Obviously my above photo is a good example of "putting earrings on a pig" but I do like the line variations and if you have better printing than mine it will look much better!

Edited by framebaer

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Good question that I was wondering about too. Thanks for asking it, and thanks for the answers.

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

the cursive in this case really just refers to the fact that the corners are softer than a "crisp" italic. Italic lettering is a sort of "printing" IMO - since you don't start off connecting the letters. I use mine for both printing and "cursive" writing and some odd combination of the lot.

k

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Formal italic is always printed--so you can definitely use the nib for printing!

Like KCat, I print as well as write with italic nibs, and when I'm writing it's usually a combination of both. Some folks do employ an all joined running italic though.

Best, Ann

Here's how I use some of my cursive italic. I do not need to compromise on my relatively moderate writing speed and the nibs never get caught on paper -- kudos to all the nib masters (Binder, Mottishaw, Nagahara, and Krinke)

Enjoy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/ebaywatch888/Guts/IMG_1681.jpg

Some Binder and Krinke CURSIVE ITALIC:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/ebaywatch888/PT%20Sales/IMG_6.jpg

KCkc, what is that blue ink you used in the top photo? It looks as though it is still wet.

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

KCkc, what is that blue ink you used in the top photo? It looks as though it is still wet.

Stephen

My favourite and simple Florida Blue.

Photo was to demonstrate how fast drying the ink is and my preferred wetness (Mottishaw 7 scale) on a Rhodia paper.

Obviously my above photo is a good example of "putting earrings on a pig" but I do like the line variations and if you have better printing than mine it will look much better!

Very funny, are you aware that what you just wrote has the same context as Cantonese saying that describes a woman who has too much make-up on ?

Wow I guess pigs with ear-rings is a universal thing. My apologies to all pig-as-pet lovers. But the word picture is really hilarious. :roflmho:

BTW, your italic hand-writing is very nice, so no need to apologize in any way.

Edited by KCkc

Stephen

Photo was to demonstrate how fast drying the ink is and my preferred wetness (Mottishaw 7 scale) on a Rhodia paper.

Another example of how monitors, nibs, and paper conspire to make an ink look differently than in person. I see no hint of cobalt or purple in your picture, but I know that in person WM Florida blue has it ...

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

Stephen

Another example of how monitors, nibs, and paper conspire to make an ink look differently than in person. I see no hint of cobalt or purple in your picture, but I know that in person WM Florida blue has it ...

Stephen

I am not good with detecting hue of purple in my blue ink and I do know from others discussions that the blue inks I like do not qaulify as a pure blue ink due to the purplish tones.

I just like blue ink and whatever blue ink that catches my eye and happens to have the word blue on the label, it is a blue ink to me.

Not very scientific and also explains why I am not really a blue ink purist.

One way is to compare the purplish lines against a Rhodia note pad and see how off the callibration on your monitor is. This is because it is pretty close to my Rhodia note pad purple lines over here. HTH.

KCkc,

Nice writing samples and pens! I like the way you displayed both.

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy