Pelikan Souveran M605 Review

RonB

I was surprised to see that there was not a review of the Pelikan Souveran M605 on this forum (at least so far as I could find).

I've seen references to this pen from many on the FPN, and almost all the references had been positive. As a result, I had been debating whether or not to buy one myself. Then, Ryan offered a good price on his barely used M605, and I snapped it up.

For some reason, I expected the pen to be larger from its pictures. It is, however, nearly 5 1/4 inches long, and a fraction above one half inch wide at the cap (and a fraction less at the barrel). Compared to other Pelikan models, it is slightly shorter(about 1/4") than the Pelikan M800 and slightly longer than the M400, M250 and M200 sizes.

The weight is surprisingly light. It has less heft than my usual Parker "51" daily writer. The barrel is a medium blue with silver trim and a black Pelikan jewel; very attractive. It has a 14K two-tone gold nib. The Pelikan M605 has a piston-filling ink system and uses bottled fountain pen ink only. It is easy to fill, and holds a prodigious amount of ink.

Now, as to how it writes. Mine has a medium nib, and quite frankly, I was concerned that it would be too wide, since I am used to the fine Parker "51" nib. I was pleasantly surprised, however. Yes, it is a medium, and it certainly writes a wider line than my "51"s, but it is not as wide as I feared. It is very legible with my small handwritting. (Well, if you take as an assumption that my handwriting is legible to begin with.) I do find myself writing somewhat larger with the Pelikan M605, due to the larger nib size, I imagine.

As everyone knows whos loves Pelikans, the nib is very, very smooth. It writes with just the slightest amount of pressure. It is a very different feel from my Parker Vacumatics, which are toothier and not as smooth. It is also slightly smoother than my best "51". A totally different feel, and I like all these pens, but I also enjoy this Pelikan M605 because it is different.

All in all, I'm glad I bought it. The biggest drawback in my opinion is its light, plastic, insubstantial feel. Some of this is probably an unfair comparison of a modern men to my vintage pens. Its biggest advantages are its very smooth writing style and attractive design.

The pen's list price according to at least one site I consulted was $275. It is available for $165 on a major pen distributor's site, and as low as $129 as a closeout special at Altman's luggage, I understand.

I will post some writing samples and hopefully some pictures a little later.

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RonB

• KCat

• Hephaestus

• southpaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some writing samples with the Pelikan M605.

Edited by RonB

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

Let me try this again.

Ron

A more detailed image.

Ron

Thanks for the review and samples! I took advantage of the Altman deal and just got my M605 a few days ago, and generally agree with your very postitive assessment. I may however trade my medium nib for a fine point since my writing tends to be very small.

I like smaller, lighter pens, and at the pen weigh-in I hold for new pens, the M605 came in at a strapping 16 grams, lighter than many new pens but about the same as many vintage pens I love using. I've found the size and girth to be just right for me.

Thanks for the sample of Noodler's blue, I've been wondering about that, it's a beautiful ink. I've found that Waterman Blue-Black in the M605 produces a color that closely matches the pen!

Bob

Thank you, Betty, but I think your comments are too kind about my printing / handwriting. The Noodlers Blue does look better with a medium or wider nib, I think.

Bob, thanks for your additional thoughts. Yes, I agree its a nice size pen, especially in width. I don't really know why I thought it was going to be larger. Probably the pictures from the online retailers made me think this. I did try the M800 and thought it was too big, so the M605 is just the right size Pelikan, in my opinion.

I'll have to try the blue-black too!

Ron

Ron

And here are some pictures, finally. From bottom to top:

Pelikan M605

Duke Mako

Parker Vacumatic

Parker "51"

Ron

Another of the Pelikan M605

Edited by RonB

Ron

Another, with the nib shown.

Ron

Hi Ron, I'm another Pelikan fan that likes the way they write :) ...I can tell you're surely proud of that one! Bet you'll find yourself getting more Pelikans!

Best, Ann

Ann, that sounds expensive! But you may be right. I was thinking of a Richard Binder nib. Somehow, when I start thinking about a new pen, money goes out of my bank account.

Ron

Ron

Thanks for the good review, photos, and writing sample. Very well done.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

nice review - just keep in mind that "heft" does not equal quality or robustness (is that a word? well it is now) and you may find for long periods of writing you start to really appreciate that light weight. Everyone is different of course but for me, it's one of the things that most draws me to Pelikans and most deters me from buying other pens that I like the look of and have good reps.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thanks, Southpaw and KCat.

Yes, I'm sure many prefer the light weight. Are the M200 and M250 versions about the same weight, do you know?

Ron

Ron

The m200 and m250 are not only the same weight but the same pen - the only difference is the nib, either gold plated or 14K. The m215 however has a metal barrel, and it is significantly weightier than the m200/250. It is my Pel of choice..

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

Thanks, Ryan.

Ron

yes, there's not a lot of difference betweeen 200/400/600. Exception being the 215 (is that the right number?) which is the new metal-bodied Pel in the 200 series. It's still quite light but heavier than the typical 200/400. I don't have one to weigh for you but here's what I do have. Keep in mind my scale only goes to 10ths of an ounce but I think that most of us can't feel much difference past that anyway.

Old Style (pre-'97) Pelikan M200 - .5 ozs capped, .3 ozs no cap

New Style Pelikan M200 - .5 ozs capped., .3 ozs no cap

M400 White Tortoise - .5 ozs capped, .3 no cap

M400 Blue Stripe - 3 guesses and the first two don't count. :)

M600 Piazza Navona - .6 ozs capped - and you geussed it, .4 ozs no cap (so we know they try to keep the caps in the 200/400/600 series at .2 ounces - makes me wonder at the weight of the 800 and 1000.)

I have held the 215 once and that was some months ago (though I might look at one tomorrow just for grins) but I'd say it's about the same weight as th 600. Maybe 1/10 of an ounce heavier. But of course, it is a 200 in all other dimensions.

All of the above were weighed with about half a tank of fuel. :)

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

While I agree that there is much similarity between the 200/400/600, the 600 is a little longer- and in my hand that makes all the difference!

-Ryan

While I agree that there is much similarity between the 200/400/600, the 600 is a little longer- and in my hand that makes all the difference!

-Ryan

ah well, i was referring strictly to weight. The 600 is pretty much the limit of section size for my comfort so I find the difference between it and the 200/400 series to be, although small numerically, significant from an ergonomic POV. Anything larger would be uncomfortable for long periods for me (speaking of section diameter only - pen length isn't usually too distracting to me one way or another.)

Still, some days the 600 is more comfortable to me, other days the smaller ones. I don't think i could step down to the 150 size though. at least not for long writing sessions (as if I've had any of those lately.)

i sortof but not really wish I'd gone by to take a look at the 425 or 415 or whatever it is. Might have gotten to see the Picadilly in person at the same time. But I had nothing I could think of that I'd want to buy and I hate to just browse and leave.

k

Edited by KCat

KCat