PELIKAN 215 LOZENGE

asimplemaestro

Welcome to the Pelikan 215 "Lozenge". This is my first Pelikan pen and after hearing so much about them, I thought it was time to give one a try. I chose the 215 Lozenge on the basis of the price and design. The 215 seemed like a good medium priced Pelikan from which I would be able to get a good feel of the Pelikan line.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/Pens%20and%20Such/CIMG1012.jpg

Appearance and Design...Four Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

I'll have to be honest. The pattern of the 215 Lozenge was about 90% of the reason I chose this particular Pelikan. The 215 line has four different snappy designs. I think that this is a great idea from the marketing team that brings young and new Pelikan customers to try the line. This is exactly what Montblanc did with the Starwalker and Boheme lines and it has worked wonders for them as well.

Comfort and Durability...Three Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/Pens%20and%20Such/CIMG1013.jpg

The 215 is a relatively smaller pen that measures only 4 7/8 inches (12 1/2 centimeters) when capped and is also 5 7/8 inches (15 centimeters) when posted. The diameter if the barrel is a mere 1 1/2 inches (3 1/2 centimeters). At the time I ordered the pen I had never seen a Pelikan in person and expected the pen to be larger. The smaller size is great in the terms of portability but the pen causes my hands to hurt a bit when writing for long periods (3 pages+) of time.

A nice difference with the 215 is the fact that the barrels are made of metal as opposed to the other barrels that Pelikan normally produces. I like the nice weight that this adds to the pen and consider this a nice change from the normal "ultralight" compact pens that are all over (Montblanc Mozart and the Esterbrook SJ).

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/Pens%20and%20Such/CIMG1010.jpg

Filling System...Three Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

The 215's use the classic piston filling system to draw ink into the pen. This is my first piston filler and it was nice to try something new. The best thing about the piston system was the ease of use and the large ink capacity. Two twists of the end and a wipe off and the pen was loaded with ink. The only thing that I don't like about this system is the fact that one must immerse the nib into the inkwell to fill the pen. The wipe off works well but I like the fact that converters or cartridges allow one to fill a pen without dirtying the nib.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/Pens%20and%20Such/CIMG1011.jpg

Nib and Writing Performance...Four Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

This, in my opinion, is where this pen shines. Being one who has myriads of pens, I often have a list in my head of the select few "Great Writers". The more I use it, the more this pen works it's way closer to being on that list. The more I write with the Lozenge, the better it flows and the smoother it writes. The nib I purchased was a fine and is already in my top 2 tier for my smoothest fine. (My Waterman Hemisphere is the smoothest...I know...I was shocked too.)

Cost and Value...Five Droolies: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

These pens can be purchased for anywhere between $80 and $130. After shipping, I paid $89 for my 215 and I think that this unit was worth EVERY penny that I paid. I know of very few writers in this price range who offer as much performance and appearance matched with the prestige of a brand name like Pelikan.

Conclusion...

I have not regretted this purchase in any way. Since I bought the 215 it has grown on me constantly and I must say that I still give it the eye every now and then. This is the perfect entry line Pelikan for anyone who hasn't ever owned one. The pen has the great Pelikan writing performance but also has a killer look that's sure to catch a few glances. If you are thinking of getting into this line I would suggest the Pelikan 215 Lozenge but do offer one warning...this pen will leave you vying to buy the whole line! Shalom Yall!

Final Rating...FOUR DROOLIES!!! :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

P.S. Anyone know the orator of the mystery quote? It's worth 100 points!!!

Edited by asimplemaestro

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asimplemaestro

• mrt77

• katfisch

• FrogmanM

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Roald Dahl.

Have you ever tried the copper penny smoothing method for nibs? Could make a Tier 2 into a Tier 1 in about a minute....

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.

- Mark Twain

Roald Dahl.

Have you ever tried the copper penny smoothing method for nibs? Could make a Tier 2 into a Tier 1 in about a minute....

And 100 points to Katfisch!!!

I have not...do tell...

Roald Dahl.

I have not...do tell...

Here's a link... the penny has to be pre-1983 to be pure copper. I've found this to be effective.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...art=#entry92139

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.

- Mark Twain

Roald Dahl.

I have not...do tell...

Here's a link... the penny has to be pre-1983 to be pure copper. I've found this to be effective.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...art=#entry92139

I just did it...it worked! Amazing...Another 1000 point to Katfisch!!!

Many thanks for the review.

Now I have to understand why, out of my 15 Pelikans, I don't have any of the M215 versions... a mistake, without any doubt.

:hmm1:

Best,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Many thanks for the review.

Now I have to understand why, out of my 15 Pelikans, I don't have any of the M215 versions... a mistake, without any doubt.

Yes, it is, Diplo.

Have a lozenges since less than one month, seriously thinking about getting the full series...

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

P.S. Anyone know the orator of the mystery quote? It's worth 100 points!!!

first of all, thank you for the review! I have been eying one of these and have not had the gumption (or the funding) to buy it. but i think i may have to!

and second...your first quote with the -? i believe it is from Willy Wonka

and after reading i see that i was beatin to the punch by the first poster :-)

Edited by Detach50

Does the M215 feature an ink window, ala the M200?

No ink window but body is BARELY transparent so that you can see the level of ink to a certain point.

No ink window but body is BARELY transparent so that you can see the level of ink to a certain point.

I like the idea of the ink window, but the 215 does look really snazzy. I'm still thinking of going with the 200, but I can get a 215 from PenGallery for about $10 more than a 200. Decisions, decisions...

I like the idea of the ink window, but the 215 does look really snazzy. I'm still thinking of going with the 200, but I can get a 215 from PenGallery for about $10 more than a 200. Decisions, decisions...

The 200 is about a quarter inch longer as well...something to think about. Still glad I went with the 215 though.

I would have to disagree with asimplemaestro on the ink window, it does indeed have an ink window, it's just darker than the M200...

It works well for me.

«This statement wouldn't be funny if not for irony.»

-Randall Munroe

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/asimplemaestro/FPN%20Pics/CIMG1014.jpg

Here you can baaaaaaaaaaaaarely see the "ink window" but this is in front of really bright light. In any other angle it just looks as black as the rest of the body.

I bought a 215, same as yours, few weeks ago. I do agree with your review: she's lovely and the filling system is so amazing.

To be honest, I don't suffer the problems you mentioned related to the size of the pen, probably becouse my hands are smaller than yours.

I tested both F and M nibs and I've choosen the F. I really like it. This is my first Pelikan and I guess she's not going to be the last..

Cheers

Mauro

..ride on the clouds, my friend...bye SuperSic

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png