Omas 360 Vision HT

F308gt4

First Impressions:

post-34-1143605205_thumb.jpg

I haven't purchased a fountain pen in about 10 years, my last being a Pelikan M800 (technically, my wife purchased it for me for my Ph.D. graduation). I was very happy with the Pelikan, but decided I wanted a pen by an Italian Manufacturer. I finally decided on the Omas 360, and in particular the 360 vision in the HT form.

Upon the suggestions of members of this forum, I purchased the pen from Nibs.com (John Mottishaw et al). I paid what is probably the market rate for the pen. I'm sure if I had shopped around more, I could have gotten it for cheaper, but the service at Nibs.com was exceptional, and worth every penny. I spoke to Danielle on the phone, and she answered all of my questions, and asked me questions about my writing style etc. After purchase, they pressure tested the pen and stress tested for consistent ink flow, ensured that the pen wrote smoothly under conditions we had agreed on over the telephone.

I ordered the pen at around 8:30 AM monday morning, and it was shipped out the same afternoon. Since I am also in southern California, I was lucky enough to receive it this afternoon.

I am a novice at reviewing pens, but there is a very nicely done and thorough review of the Omas 360 done by the Noble Savage which should be read as well for anyone considering the purchase of an Omas 360.

Appearance/Finish:

post-34-1143605262_thumb.jpg

Wow!, was my first impression when I opened up the box. Pictures do not do this pen justice (especially the photos I took- I'm no photographer by a long shot). Beautiful clear pen and the silver HT trim looks fabulous on this pen. The finish on the pen looks fabulous, and in general, it looks like a well made pen.

Design/Size Weight:

It's a good sized pen, a little bigger than my Pelikan M800. It is very light compared to the M800, and at first, I was hesitant to purchase this pen. But, having written with it a bit since I've received it, I am not minding the weight. The pen itself seems well balanced, both with the cap posted or not.

Nib Design and Performance:

post-34-1143605306_thumb.jpg

The Nib is 18k gold rhodium plated. Very classy looking, and understated. Since the pen is totally clear, you get a nice contrast between the HT trim and the black parts of the piston mechanism. The nib flows freely, and is very comfortable to write with.

The Filling System:

This pen uses the Omas piston filling mechanism, and worked fine for my first filling. Holds a ton of ink.

And finally, a size comparison with the Pelikan M800:

post-34-1143605370_thumb.jpg

Cost:

The MSRP of this pen is $495, and I was able to get it for $396 at nibs.com. Like I said earlier, the service I received was exceptional and well worth the price I paid for the pen. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Conclusion:

A great pen. The design of this is unique, but I find it very comfortable to write with. I love the see-through aspect of this pen as well. I'm glad I made the purchase.

Edited by MYU

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• F308gt4

• acfrery

• davyr

• nicholasyeo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow, three omas vision reviews in one day! our cup overflows! thanks for the nice review, F308gt4. :D

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

Congratulations for your first Omas, but beware they are addictive.

You may join the Omas Society Club at Omas main page: first switch to English then go to the Society link. In a couple of months you will receive a notepad, a cleaning cloth and first-quality brochures and catalogues. The person who takes care of the society, Roberta, is very nice.

Enjoy your pen!

Alejandro

Nice review!!! I have been wanting a Vison 360, eventhough I have a fullsize 360 in HT Dove Grey, the Vision 360 just really has my attention!!! Have fun with the pen!!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Just a couple of updates, now that I've been using the pen some more since my review last night:

1) I keep trying to screw the top off. Luckily I realize it before I do any damage, but it does take some getting used to.

2) This pen gets dirty fast. I mean fingerprints. All over the pen. If you want your pen to look perfect, this may not be the pen for you. The clear resin really brings out those fingerprints. Also, I noticed a couple tiny drops of ink in the cap, probably from me trying to tap out the air bubbles in the reservoir. Again, if this type of thing bothers you, you may want to reconsider a see-through pen.

Other than that, still loving it, and trying to find any excuse to write with it this morning. The nib is like "butta".

Thanks for the nice review! I have a large sized Omas 360 in Blue-Black (very close to black) in the HT trim with a wonderful fine nib. Great pens. Enjoy yours and thanks for sharing.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thanks for the review! :)

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

Congrats!

Would be interested to see a writing sample of that medium nib.

J

P.S. When cleaning the interior of the cap, I recommend a moistened

q tip rather than dumping in water. This would protect the screw on

the inside from possible corrosion.

OK, here is a quick sample on a legal pad. This is the medium nib using Pelikan Blue Ink. Sorry for the lousy handwriting...

P.S.- Thanks for the tip on cleaning out the cap.

post-34-1143687194_thumb.jpg

Edited by F308gt4

• 4 years later...

I've always liked this pen but stayed away from it due to the fact that

there have been complaints about the quality. Nevertheless, it is a

fantastic design.