Sheaffer’S Flat Top OS: 8C Lifetime

diplomat

Sheaffer Flat Top OS Lifetime

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6407/dsc9526yr8.jpg

Don’t do it baby: please do not jump!

Hello dear FPNers,

Ever since I read QM2 review of the Black Sheaffer’S Flat Top I wanted to own one. It’s already a few months that I decided to focus my vintage FP collection on Sheaffer’s: they have the most attraction to me: they were an icon of their times, they introduced innovation after innovation every five years or so from their introduction, they were produced in various trim and colors, and finally they were made to last.
A simple filling system, quality materials, high quantity of gold used on nibs: everything concurs. It’s difficult to find a specimen of Sheaffer’s that is not possible to restore and transform in an everyday user.
But – so far – I mainly focused on Balances. The cigar design and the high number of variants in size, trim and colors made them my favs. Until the QM2 review, as mentioned above!

Now: I live in Italy. Notwithstanding many among our members will say that this is a good fortune (and this is arguable, at least from the point of view of the writer), there is an undisputed drawback: the supply of Sheaffer’s fountain pens from the 20s and 30s is limited.
This pretty much explain the delay. Waiting for the good occasion to rise on FPN (thanks mr. Brandt!) waiting for the delivery to cross the ocean… and finally this Monday the pen hit the door.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3545/dsc9518ok2.jpg

Now: how old is it?
One thing I learnt here about the early Sheaffer’s model is: there are no strict rules to define or categorize the pens. Since the production was industrial but still largely based on manual finish and assembly, it’s difficult to date them or to compare a specimen with another. Let’s take the previously mentioned QM2’s pen. Compared to this model we see:
  • Mine has a straight clip, which should date it earlier;
  • Mine has the ring retained lever, QM2 has the pin retained lever; So mine should be of later production following this parameter. A frankenpen, then?
  • Mine has a barrel imprint which match the ring retained lever. It’s the late “Patented in USA”. (though I don’t know about QM2’s);
  • Mine has the lifetime nib without serial number, which is present in QM2’s. So, again, that would date my pen earlier;
But if you had the patience to read until this point, you will have understood that this exercise is pointless: uncertainty is the queen here.

Nevertheless, you can’t make a mistake with a Black FT: they will stand out in between a thousands other FP nevermind which detail they may have. It’s a timeless design, beautiful for simplicity and understatement. I’m actually planning to carry at work, we will see what kind of comments it will attract.

And now to the votes.

Appearance/finish 4/5
Design/Size/Weight 5/5

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/75/dsc9527hi3.jpg

The OS is the same size and girth of a Pelikan M800. The weight is considerably smaller though. That is no surprise because the mechanics is really simple. That was one of the strength of the pen at the time of its introduction and still is. It’s amazing to think that this pen is around 80 years old. The celluloid is an outstanding material, scratch resistant, brilliant and luminous as the first day of use.
The brass in this pen is limited on small tads over the ball. The cap band, clip and the lever are good.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3156/dsc9530ms6.jpg

Nib Design and Performance 4/5

Ok, you have to give up the flexy of the vintage nibs, that is. But on the other hand you have a durable and smooth nib that stand the passage of time. In addition to that the nib is huge, classic and beautifully engraved.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3935/dsc9522he3.jpg

The Filling System 4/5

While I prefer the piston filler mechanism for its reliability and complexity, I see the advantage of a lever filler. It’s one of the reason why these pens are still usable and affordable nowadays. It’s a simple mechanism that is easy to fix and maintain (I did my sac replacements on some other Sheaffer’s).
The major drawback comes when time come to clean the pen. To get a clean water out of it, you have to risk your fingernails!

Cost 5/5

It’s black and it is lever filler: you can have it for less than you think! The color is the most common (but still the most usable in any environment at our days), the simplicity of the filling mechanism says that it’s cheap to restore. It’s a great value in the vintage world of fountain pens.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/486/dsc9523fw9.jpg

Conclusions 22/25

It’s a great pen, no question about it. Sturdy, classic and always ready to write. If you are looking for a vintage pre WWII pen to be used as a daily writer, this may be the one you are looking for. Don’t be fooled by the three point missing, I am always demanding in life ;) They are there to remember that the finish is really simple, the nib can be disappointing because too stiff, and the pen is hard to flush. Really minor things if you think about it.

Yours sincerely,

Andrea

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diplomat

• FrankB

• Brian

• nickyd

Great review Andrea!

My black OS Flat Top is one of my favorite pens. Mine is 85 years old, yet no other pen I have writes as nicely. It was given to me by a friend whose grandfather bought the pen new, so it is treasured as much for the friendship it represents as its excellence as a writing instrument.

I am glad that you are pleased with yours.

Andrea;

I would say the barrel is too late for the cap and nib, especially the nib. I'm much more suspect of pens that source from the pen world as we are likely to have monkeyed with them in some form or another. Ebay pens from non pen people tend to be in original condition many more times than those found from pen folks. With sufficient knowledge a proper replacement can be made if needed but, usually this level of care is not taken and you get parts that aren't quite right though they do function regardless of historical correctness. I liked your review BTW.

Roger W.

mmmm I need another one of these!

The straight clip on yours looks really nice.

Do you have a picture of the lever?

mmmm I need another one of these!

The straight clip on yours looks really nice.

Andrea:

I too am a lover of Sheaffer flat tops. Your review was excellent and mirrors my thoughts exactly. I would encourage all vintage users to have at least one of these in their stable for the historic and wonderful user items you specified. No I take that back, less for me to accumulate. Karl at Pointy Things is a wonderful restorer. I admit having been tempted more than once to partake of his offerrings. Thank you for the wonderful review, Jim

Andrea,

Thank you for the review. The pen is surely attractive and I will start looking for one for myself, however like in Italy, Sheaffer's in good condition are hard to come by here, but the hunt will be interesting.

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you everybody for the positive comments.

Roger, thanks for chime in, you confirmed what I was thinking. Anyway, it's not bad in my view: I'm taking it as a user and my story with the flat tops is not over yet ;)

Jim: I think the Pointy Things offer have decent prices too, go on! And thanks for your comments.

QM2: I will do a lever pic later. Now it is incredibly snowing... you know, I live next to Austria.

Yesterday I forgot to add this: it's a scan of a Moleskine page where I register the last inked pens. Just to have a glimpse of the FT compared to other pens.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7729/pelikanvintage0002av0.jpg

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Here it goes.

Cheers FT mates!

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/5761/dsc9542fk1.jpg

A really nice review and photo essay. I agree with your assessment of the classic Sheaffer flat-top. In their day they were the cutting edge of FP technology and the quality of design and construction continues to this day with so many fine examples. Thanks for a fun and welcome review!

Thanks for the review. Well written and the photos are very good.

I discovered Sheaffer flattops about 20 years ago. Like you, I started with a black O/S, but rather quickly added a green and black-and-white. At that time, I had just gotten a Parker "Big Red," which was the first pen I bought intentionally as a vintage pen. I was delighted to find that the Sheaffer O/S fit my hand every bit as well as that Duofold Senior. I like the stiff but ever so smooth Lifetime nibs, and all three of mine have functioned flawlessly.

I hope you enjoy your flattop for many years to come. The only problem I might foresee is your finding the need to sniff out a second one - and maybe a third. ;)

First week report from the field:

I've been using the FT all week long at work. It was treated like all my other pens: in the pen pouch of the bag, then extracted and carryed along in my breast suit pocket. Used several time a day to take quick notes and entries on my agenda.

I had a problem just one day: I opened the cap and some ink leaked from the nib to the section. Possibly it was upside for the whole night. Anyway I wiped away the excess of ink and started using it.

It's a marvellous workhorse. Take the rudeness very well. Always wet, always ready to write. The point is firm and soft, it's a quick writer. I used to write some cards to our members too.

I enjoyed this first week toghether a lot.

Cheers,

I have something of an itch for one of these but I would need to have a wide or flexy nib...

Thanks for the great walk-through and the follow-up on how things are going in "the field"!

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Andrea, Thank you for your review. I also have a Sheaffer flattop which I picked up a couple of years ago at the LA Pen show. It has been one solid performer ever since--I'm almost tempted to say that it wrote perfectly out of the box. There were a couple of times in which I almost put it for sale, but I'm glad I didn't. By the way, the picture of the Sheaffer with the journal is stunning.