Michel Perchin MP5 in Red Enamel

fineflowz

This is to share my thoughts on the Michel Perchin MP5 in Red Enamel.

I hope that this will be useful to those who are thinking of getting this pen and those that own it and want more insights and info. There are other Michel Perchin reviews in the forum. One from AKAGodSent on the MP5 in Blue Enamel and the other from yachtsilverswan on the Blue Serpent.

My interest in Michel Perchin pens started when I was looking at some discussions here in FPN. Was curious, looked for more info, and found that the MP5 and the MP4 was what I wanted, in that order. But the MSRP for me was not worth it. So the search began. I saw that someone was selling an MP5 red and we ended up with a trade.

The MP5 is a beautiful pen and is now my daily writer. Using it daily is for me, the best way to appreciate such an instrument.

I would recommend this pen to anyone.

The design is very tasteful. It's not simple, but it's not too complicated either. The most notable features are the serpent clip and the mesmerizing deep red waves on the barrel that's been created using enamel over carved sterling silver. The proportions of the pen, the flat top, and the flat bottom makes it look solid, robust, and balanced. Holding the pen reinforces those descriptions. Solid being the most notable. The pen weighs at least three times as much as my Pelikan M215 when filled. Don't have a proper scale right now so I can't give exact numbers. But should be at least above 60 grams or 2 ounces.

The nib is 18k two tone. Mine have been ground to an extra fine from a medium by Greg Minuskin if I'm not mistaken. The right nib for my daily writing habits. Lays down the ideal wetness for me. In between a typical MontBlanc and a Pilot. What I like best about the modified nib is that when I write with the nib upside down, it can lay down an extra extra fine line without it feeling like a scratchy nail.

The gold is finely polished and shouts great quality. I like it very much. My standard in nib beauty though is still the MB149.

The size of the nib is in the right proportion for a pen of this price point. Compared to a Pelikan M215 (mine has an M400 EF nib, 14k, two tone), both have the same length uncapped but the MP5 nib is at least one and a half times of the Pelikan's (see picture). The vanes of the feeder under the nib can soak up half the converter's volume. So I have no worries bringing it on a plane.

The filling mechanism is a standard cartridge/converter (c/c). Practical for a daily-writer-bring-anywhere pen. One drawback of a c/c is ink capacity. But since I have an EF, that's not a big concern. I would have been very unhappy if this was a broad. The other drawback is that converters leak easily. After some use, the piston seals are no good and leak ink back to the threading mechanism. Then again, they're cheap to replace. In Europe, a good Pelikan converter is 3.5 euros. Faber Castells could be cheaper, but they're unreliable. I'm still looking for the best standard converter in the market. Any recommendations from member's experiences?

I tend to also look at other details of the instrument. For example, in the inside of the barrel, the thread insert looks like brass (see picture). This is good since brass is great for threads. Low friction and wear & tear resistant.

The filling system requires that you soak the nib up to the base with ink when refilling. Not so good when you're running low on bottled ink. My MB149 for example can suck ink even when the nib is dipped only up to the breather hole.

When I lightly run my fingernail through the transitions in design where vermeil meets acrylic meets enamel, I can feel slight imperfections in these places. My standard for excellent fit of parts in what I've owned so far are the Meisterstucks and the Pilot Bamboo. These are small details but overall, still a great pen! A definite buy if you're considering it.

I have also decided to house the MP5 in a Meisterstuck classic single pen case.

Thanks for reading and I hope you found it at least interesting. I probably will not get any new pens for some time... unless of course, I find a super super deal on a David Oscarson Harvest in dark brown....

Cheers,

fineflowz

post-12706-1232293175_thumb.jpg

post-12706-1232293210_thumb.jpg

post-12706-1232293189_thumb.jpg

post-12706-1232292654_thumb.jpg

post-12706-1232293227_thumb.jpg

post-12706-1232292989_thumb.jpg

post-12706-1232293033_thumb.jpg

post-12706-1232293019_thumb.jpg

post-12706-1232293004_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fineflowz

• goodguy

• MYU

• Triplet Mom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review! And may I say, your penmanship is beautiful! Really like that you included the writing samples of all three pens as part of your review.

Warmly,

Lynne

The search for the perfect blue ink is a delicious and endless quest...

Beautiful pen and beautiful nib.

I know from Yan (AKAGodSent) this is a wonderful writer but I must admit I find it hard to look past the C/C filler.

I think expensive LE pens should be self filler only!!!

Still this is a beaut :thumbup:

Enjoy :D

Respect to all

What an absolutely gorgeous pen! Thank you so much for sharing and including the other two for comparison.

Visconti: Aida 0/1871, Amigdala, Black Ripple 4/199, Black Storm 8/88, Blue Ripple 870/999, Blue Symphony 88/208, Carbon Dream 4/993, Chatterley Ripple^3 4/25, Custom Ripple 4/4, D'Essai, Gulliver, Homo Sapien, Metropolis 64/288, Millennium Arc 2/1000, Opera Aqua, Opera Demo 547/888, Opera Nordic^2, Opera Water^2, Pericle^2, Ponte Vecchio^2, Ragtime, Ragtime 1174/1988, Replica, VG Custom^8, VG Demo^2, VG Green^2, VG Red, VG Vanilla^3, Versailles 317/365, Viscontina 39/188, Voyager^2

• 2 weeks later...

Fineflowz -- That's truly one exquisite fountain_pen! Every Michel Perchin creation I've had the good fortune of observing in person has been a masterpiece. Literally. Judging by your photographs, the MP5 you owned was certainly no exception. Thanks a lot for sharing. :thumbup:

Cheers!

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

. Please do not send PMs...E-mail me: clivemmorel@earthlink.net