Noodler's El Lawrence

savarez

Definitely an interesting, if not free-flowing ink.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/savarez/abraxas/el_lawrence_small.jpg

<Enlarge>

Edit: Alas, the greenish undertones that I see on the page are not quite detectable in the scan.

Edited by savarez

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis

Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rickyriz

• Deirdre

• SCW80

• HyacinthLo

Definitely an interesting, if not free-flowing ink.

Edit: Alas, the greenish undertones that I see on the page are not quite detectable in the scan.

Uhmm..interesting ink..the fact that the color has not a clear connotation makes it very intriguing to me too.

Thanks for sharing.

Saluti.

Riccardo

EL Lawrence is an interesting ink. I bought a bottle last year admittedly for the wonderful label treatment. The ink itself had been previously described (I believe by Handlebar) as the color of motoroil, which I believe to be apt.

Once in a while I ink up a Lamy Safari with it and use for a few days....but it will never attain daily use status.

Good review...thanks

Peter

I love El Lawrence (especially mixed with Heart of Darkness, which gives it a really rich dark shade) but it is a huge huge huge pain in my daily writers. I thought I had read that Nathan had retooled the formula to avoid the clogging issues but I haven't seen any corroboration with that.

It's interesting to view something you've written with El Law under UV light.

I like El Lawrence, the color is great, but when you've loaded a pen with it, you'd better write pretty regularly (like, several times a day, every day) with that pen until you've used up all you put into it. Then flush the pen thoroughly with water.

It seems that everyone finds the colour interesting, intriguing and hard to name, but will not use it routinely because of the handling difficulties. I hope Nathan has indeed worked on this issue (as mentioned by xmattxyzx) and can give FPN a "heads up" if it is resolved. This is a colour that I would like to try.

El Lawrence is one of the only inks that I keep in constant use. However, I have found only a single pen in which it works well. Namely a Waterman's safety. Keeping the nib submerged in the ink means that I don't have issues with the ink drying in the feed (with conventional fountain pens, the ink would flow on the day the pen was filled but would be extremely balky on subsequent days). The pen also has quite a flexible nib and generous flow, so if it remains uncapped for a minute I can "lean on the nib" a bit to really get it flowing again. If it weren't for this pen, I would long ago have given up on this ink.

Dave

Huh. (Not a question... a declaration.)

I got a bottle of El Lawrence a week or two ago... maybe it was this week. Hard to tell these days... time is flying. :)

I loaded up my brand spanking new Namiki Falcon M and it writes like a dream. After reading these posts, I decided to dig my Falcon out of my pen wrap that's been sitting in my work bag all weekend, untouched. Started right up. The only time I ever have an issue is if I leave the pen uncapped on my desk for more than a few minutes, when my desk fan is on (it gets warm in the office sometimes). Honestly, that kind of behavior is to be expected.

I guess I'm just going to chalk it up to having a charmed life when it comes to my pens (knock on wood). Noodler's has treated my pens well, and that makes me happy, because it's my ink of choice. Just to be fair, Mont Blanc has treated my pens well, too, as has Waterman. I have some untried Diamine Orange, Swisher Maroon, PR Fiesta Red, Levenger Cobalt Blue, and CdA Caribbean Sea sitting here. I'm pretty much expecting they'll be okay, too. ;)

Maybe I just don't have any finicky pens...

PS: Buying more El Lawrence and MB Turquoise (before it runs out of stock everywhere now that it has been discountinued) this week. When I get crazy about a color, I like to get a "backup bottle" just in case I won't be able to get it again. Kind of silly in some respects, maybe, but it's helped me with Legal Lapis. I got the original bottle and loved it so much that I got the big eyedropper bottle when Pendemonium got it back in stock a number of months ago. Good thing, too, since it's been out of stock for some time now... Maybe I ought to add Ottoman Azure to the list, as well. Wonder how long it's going to take me to go through my current bottle...

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I would throw my 2 cents in on this particular ink. I have a Sailor Sapporo with a medium nib inked up with El Lawrence that I hadn't touched for a couple of weeks, so I just gave it a try on some cheap recycled paper, and it started up with a nice dark flow without any hesitation. I will admit that this is a bit of a slow flowing ink, but I have had great results with it in my wetter flowing pens. The color alone makes this ink worth it, as there is a huge variance from pen to pen that can give some beautiful results. Some slight nib creep, but nothing like I experienced with Noodler's Blue-Black, which was so heavy it actually dripped off the top of my Pelikan M200!

Love the color, but the only pen I tried it in that was happy with it was a Parker 21 Super (didn't try it in a Snorkel or "51").

peter

I've got it in my CS Knightsbridge with an M nib, and it's not stingy nor does it dry out.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

AHHH!!!!

This color is so Epic and I would love to get my hands on a bottle but have found it hard to find online.

First you have to give up, first you have to *know*... not fear... *know*... that someday you're gonna die.

Memento Mori

last.fm

• 2 weeks later...

My bottle is just arrived! It's funny to observe how this ink is weird..exactly what I expect, a perfect...used dirty motoroil!!! :roflmho:

more yellowish and greenish tones as someone already said..also in this topic

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=23860

Never checked its properties yet, but I think that sometimes it will be a pretty particular choice.

Saluti.

Riccardo

My bottle is just arrived! It's funny to observe how this ink is weird..exactly what I expect, a perfect...used dirty motoroil!!! :roflmho:

I prefer to think of it as halfway between an army green and motor oil. :)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

This is one of my favorite inks. The color is ambiguous enough that it can be mistaken for black, brown, green, grey, whatever. The only problem I've had with it has been that when the ink level gets low it tends to dry out some. Solution, keep the pen full.

To Get At Some Point: Aurora 88/88k/88p (chrome cap), Omas Milord (old style), Omas Paragon (old style), Sheaffer Balance (green striated)

Pocket Watch for Sale or Trade: 1889 or 1898 Eureka Watch Co. Silver or silver plate, lever-set mechanical Longines movement

well..this takes off a bit of the weird I like :blush: ..but I agree with you.

I'm thinking on mix it with MB Racing Green, but after I test it before and look how it behave in writing.

Btw..I love the smell of Noodler's inks :P

Greetings!

Saluti.

Riccardo

I've been using El-Lawrence in my daily writers for a while now, and have found no flow issues to be evident. I used it the last two weeks in Africa, in humid and dusty conditions, hot and dry ones as well, and had no problems with any of my pens.

Edison Pearl Custom .7 CI
Pelikan M200 - Binder .7 CI
Namiki VP Black Carbonesque - Binder .9 ItaliFine
Pelikan M200 - Binder Arabic/Hebrew Nib
MontBlanc 149 - M
Sailor Sapporo - EF

This is one of my favorite inks. The color is ambiguous enough that it can be mistaken for black, brown, green, grey, whatever. The only problem I've had with it has been that when the ink level gets low it tends to dry out some. Solution, keep the pen full.

:hmm1: ..I'd like to test it in my Omas 360, which has a bit too generous flow for me, but I still have some doubts..I don't write too much continuously and not every day, so I'm a bit afraid to forget the pen and "clog up" it.

maybe it's only an unmotivated trembling...any suggest is welcome. :)

Saluti.

Riccardo

Very good description of this fantastic ink. I have it in my Safari w EF nib and the ink suits this pen suits the ink. I think I'm into Noodler's military related inks as I am also a big fan of the Aircorp blue/black(/green). The Aircorps are more distinct, and this is a bit softer and perfect for notes.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****