Handwritten Review of the Lamy 2000

Breck

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr76/fbchumley/25-L2KLife-Sized.jpg

Fig. 1: The body of the review, kindly color balanced by Brian Excarnate. Click for near life-sized. Similarly for most of the following photos.

If you ask me (and by reading this, you have asked me, de facto), this pen is probably the best pen value going at this point. I describe many of the benefits above. Here is a link to a thread on FPN where a member enumerates and dismisses many of the common points raised against this pen.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr76/fbchumley/CappedLife-Sized.jpg

Fig.2: This is a pen. Perhaps, though, I should say: This is the pen.

One thing I will address about this pen: the clips might bother you. They bother some people. Not me. If that's what makes this pen not for you, that's legitimate, I have no problem with that.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr76/fbchumley/ProfilewithtabsWeb-Sized.jpg

Fig. 3: Here are the tabs in question. Unfortunately, they lie just where some people grip the pen, and they are unpleasant to some of those people. They are missing out on a great writing experience.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr76/fbchumley/LogoWeb-Sized.jpg

Fig. 4: The nib. No, it is not clean. This is a working pen. Also, see the logo there on the clip? Yeah, me neither almost. This is not a pen for the status-conscious.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr76/fbchumley/UnpostedWeb-Sized.jpg

Fig. 5: Some call this pen "plain". I prefer to think of it as Heroically Unadorned.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr76/fbchumley/PostedNarrowLife-Sized.jpg

Fig. 6: Some people write with the cap posted. This image is for them.

edit to add link and again to test alternate image hosting

Edited by Murderface

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breck

• kubalai

• officesupplygeek

• BerneseMtDogEatsArco

That's a very beautiful pen you have! I like it's clean, simple and uncluttered appearance. The hooded nib looks very sleek too. :)

Thanks for the review Murderface,

I agree with your opinion 100%, I especially like the legend for Figure 5: "heroically unadorned" that's great! :clap1:

Recently I purchased this pen from India, paying about 130$ equivalent in Indian Rupees but Oh Boy, it's such a lovely pen! I am very happy!

Abhik.

Thanks everybody!

@phillychuck: The notebook is Kokuyo Campus, a Japanese marque. You can probably find them online through specialty Japanese stationery retailers, but I couldn't tell you who, exactly, sorry. Not JetPens or J-List, I know that, because I've looked recently and written them requesting that they start carrying notebooks!

Anyway, the paper is super smooth, with fairly average drying time, very resistant to both feathering and bleedthrough, subtly lined, and a quite nice warm ivory tone. Wish I'd gotten more.

Just read this over on your blog, I enjoyed the review. Still trying to figure out if your 2000 EF nib is really more fine than my Studio EF nib, it looks that way from the writing sample.

Well, this ink and paper combo are pretty true to nib width. With unmixed Galileo Brown, the line would look much wider - it really gushed from this pen. Adding the Black slowed it up considerably. Black alone shows an even finer line.

What kind of inks and papers have you been using?

Thanks for the review, it's visible how much you love the pen!

I like the 2000 as well. I think though that there is a drawback: the brushed steel gripping section. I have no troubles with the pads since I hold the pen much farther, close to the nib. Then long writing session are tiring because of this slippery-cone-shaped sections. Alas! Otherwise a great pen: gorgeous design, flawless piston, juicy nib.

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Just read this over on your blog, I enjoyed the review. Still trying to figure out if your 2000 EF nib is really more fine than my Studio EF nib, it looks that way from the writing sample.

Well, this ink and paper combo are pretty true to nib width. With unmixed Galileo Brown, the line would look much wider - it really gushed from this pen. Adding the Black slowed it up considerably. Black alone shows an even finer line.

Thanks for the reply, that is interesting.

I've used Noodler's Borealis and Bulletproof Black, Luxury Blue, Tiananmen, and Private Reserve Velvet Black. I have used on a combo of Levenger paper, Rhodia, Moleskine, and your basic office copy paper.

I too think this a fantastic pen. As for the best pen for the money on the market today I'd have to say that would actually be a Hero 100. At about $25 you can't beat what the Hero 100 has to offer. But for all around perfectness of design and usability yeah the Lamy 2000 is way up there at the top and at $75 to $130 it's one of the best deals going for someone who wants to write with their pen for ages without problems. The yin and yang of its shiny black top and the white dot on the bottom of the barrel always seem to help put me in the mood for writing. I just love spinning this pen, without its cap, around and around in my hand for hours and hours, more so than any other pen I've used so far. The Lamy 2000 is my personal penultimate touchy feelie pen.

I do have to agree somewhat with diplomat about the brushed steel gripping section. It is rather slippery if you tend to hold your pens close to the nib. In fact a few times this pen has actually popped out of my hand when I held it to close to the nib. Kind of like trying to hold onto a greased pig at the county fair. But if you can put just a small part of the pads of your thumb and writing fingers on the makrolon barrel then this pen will show you a trick or two about your writing stye.

Now if Sailor really does introduce a piston fill pen this year then this pen may be in for some heated competition in the usability department. But for the feelings and emotions it evokes just from its sheer look this pen is right up there with Nakaya. There is just something about this pen that reaches into your heart and soul and tries to pull the best out of you.

Thanks for the reply, that is interesting.

I've used Noodler's Borealis and Bulletproof Black, Luxury Blue, Tiananmen, and Private Reserve Velvet Black. I have used on a combo of Levenger paper, Rhodia, Moleskine, and your basic office copy paper.

Well, with Moleskine and copy paper you expect feathering and a wider line. I've found that to be slightly true with Rhodia recently, too. With some inks it does quite well, but it has consistently performed worse than my Kokuyo papers in my recent ink reviews (identical pens and inks). I don't know anything about Levenger paper's behavior.

I should note that I haven't use a Lamy Studio, either, but as I understand it, they're the same nibs as the Safari, which have been reported to have some variance in widths.

Of the inks you mention, Borealis and BP Black have always been steady performers for me. Lux Blue is a gusher. I haven't used any of the others.

Anyway, keep shopping around. Might be your nib, might be ink/paper combos.

I bought one a few years ago, and like writing with it on occasion, though I have heard many members complain about the EF nibs. Mine is a medium (read: firehose) and I don't have feathering problems on proper paper. Nice springiness to the nib, though I too get that little ink-line visible on the nib. My only complaints would be that the ink-view window is not the easiest to use for actually trying to guage your ink-level. I have had issues with carrying the pen, uncapping it, and finding ink smeared all over the body of the pen. I treated the pen the same as I do all my others and still had the issue. Nice writer though, great value, nice springy nib. I found the tiny little grip/clutch prongs to be a little irritating while writing for long periods.

Nice review, beatiful handwriting too.

-David

I used to hate this pen, but now that it's an eyedropper after an US clean w/ soap... I love it!

Great review - I really like the personal touch of handwriting it.

I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

Thanks for the great review and all the photos. The photo of the notebook is a really nice touch and your posted comments are very insightful as well. I have one of these pens with EF nib in the mail on its way to me right now. Having read your review and all the positive replies makes my anticipation of receiving my pen just that much greater. Well done!

Edited by PenFisher

• 1 month later...
Recently I purchased this pen from India, paying about 130$ equivalent in Indian Rupees but Oh Boy, it's such a lovely pen! I am very happy!

Abhik.

I am a proud owner of many modern and vintage fountain pens (some as old as 65 yrs, inherited from my grandfather), but lamy 2000 is something that I would like to try out. Collecting and maintaining fountain writing instruments is a costly affair and I don't want to rush into buying a lamy 2000 without trying it out myself. Are there any vendors in India that let us examine and try, before we buy them? Also where can I get fountain pen curing instruments? Mine are pretty old fashined and worn out, sometimes causing more damage.