Montegrappa Stradivari LE

AKAGodSent

I first saw this pen at that infamous Fountain Pen Hospital Pen expo all of a year ago. I thought it was absolutely beautiful. I couldn't conceive of purchasing it then, I had just been gifted a Michel Perchin, so I remembered it for the future. Yesterday, after coming home to NY after the first semester of what can only be described as Ph.D. hell, I visited Altman Luggage. I had in mind either purchasing an OMAS Milord Celluloid or perhaps the Montegrappa Miya Argento. They were out of both and I easily revised my needs to include the Stradivari. I wanted the OMAS because of the celluloid which has a 'wooden' look to it and I could get that in the Stradivari, so I went for it. I cannot say I'm disappointed :).

The box:

Easily one of the nicest presentation boxes I've ever received with a pen, I would say only Visconti would rival them. The inner box is a vibrant red color and a magnet keeps it closed, inside you'll find just the pen, the papers are located at the bottom of the outer box with all the information about the Stradivari.

The outer box

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1115.jpg

Inner box

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1116.jpg

Papers

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1117.jpg

Pen in the box

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1118.jpg

Appearance:

The pen is wonderfully smooth to the touch. It is a bit on the heavy side but not too heavy. Comes close to the weight of both the MP5 and the Virginia Woolf in the pictures below. On top of the cap is what appears to be a diamond (I should have probably read exactly what it is in the papers, I know, but judge for yourselves from the pictures). I have model number 1535 out of 2000. The rings/lines at the top of the cap which follow onto the clip remind me of violin strings, especially as they all meet when they get to the clip. The same lines are also on the clip itself. The rest of the design seems simple enough, not very flashy.

Cap

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1122.jpg

Top of Cap

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1121.jpg

The mighty pen

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1119.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1120.jpg

Nib:

Now, the most important part of the pen, the nib. I have to admit that just like the MP5, which I think is my smoothest nib, it glides over paper. There is no other feedback aside form the sound you hear as you write with it. It's like skating on ice, perfect. My apologies that I could not get a closer shot of the nib, which in and of itself, is beautiful. I purchased the medium nib and it, also, pretty much matches up to the MP5 in line width (as you'll see from the pictures).

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1123.jpg

To fill the pen you have to unscrew the back, plunge it into ink, and screw it back up. I read somewhere that it is not so much piston as converter which you simply cannot get to. In either case I'm fine with it. The process is smooth enough and I saw a good amount of ink being sucked up. One thing that is at times bothersome about the pen, the amount of turns it takes to get the cap off, around 2 and 1/2 I'd say, I'm an impatient man! :)

Here are some side by side pictures with my MP5 and Virginia Woolf:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1124.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1125.jpg

Writing sample (forgive my horrid chicken scratch):

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_1126.jpg

I have to say, I cannot recall the ink used in the MP5 or the Woolf, but I think the MP5 is the same PR Ultra black. Also, the Woolf seems to write the same line as the other two (in terms of width), but I could swear it's a fine (can't find the size on the nib though, nor the box at the moment).

Price, in this case, to each their own. I didn't get the pen for retail, $1,000 from what I was told, but Altman Luggage gave me a deal that I was comfortable with (and after selling a pen, and with a few more on sale, they pretty much pay this pen off, if I can ever sell the rest). Overall I'd say I'm pleased with this one :). I try not to purchase too many of these high end pens but when I do, I hope to make it a pen I won't sell in the near future. So far I have 4 of these types and hopefully will add a few more.

Edited by AKAGodSent

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AKAGodSent

• yachtsilverswan

• Titivillus

• georges zaslavsky

Yan love your reviews.

The combination of how you write and your pictures are wonderful.

Really cool pen.I like it and wish I could see a close up of the nib.

I know you like F nibs (like me) so why did you get this one with an M ?

Happy Hannuka/New year and dont eat too many Sufganiyot-LOL

Enjoy :thumbup:

Respect to all

Beautiful pen. Very nice review. How's the grip? Metal sections are slippery usually.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

Yan love your reviews.

The combination of how you write and your pictures are wonderful.

Really cool pen.I like it and wish I could see a close up of the nib.

I know you like F nibs (like me) so why did you get this one with an M ?

Happy Hannuka/New year and dont eat too many Sufganiyot-LOL

Enjoy :thumbup:

M was the only one available :( sadly. What I'm beginning to realize is that I enjoy F nibs for taking notes in class, but I will probably never use any of the pens I have with medium nibs in school :), so they are more for keeping at home where I'm fine using M nibs to jot down notes/ideas/whatever.

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Beautiful pen. Very nice review. How's the grip? Metal sections are slippery usually.

It is somewhat slippery but it is also small compared to other sections, I find myself gripping the threads themselves (there are about 4/5 rings of thread) which negates the slippery metal section.

Edited by AKAGodSent

that is one great pen ;) Is it as big as the 146 or the 149?

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Yes. This is a great but affordable limited edition produced by Montegrappa. As Montegrappa is now owned by Montblanc, I heard that the price is pretty rigid and subject to yearly increase. It is good that you manage to get a discount from it. Just recently, Montegrappa has launched the second Genio Creativo Series, the Amedeo Modigliani. Amedeo Modigliani is a great Italian artist. This pen is made with deep blue resin and I must say it is a very pretty and weighty pen. If you like high quality Montegrappa limited edition pens, but do not wish to spend thousands of dollars for it, this series may be the one which you can consider about. :)

Other pens available for sale:

Pelikan : Keep a watchout here, M805 FPs, M400 and M405 FPs,

that is one great pen ;) Is it as big as the 146 or the 149?

It is a little shorter and thinner than a 149. I do not have a 146 but I'd say they'd be a better match than the 149.

Yes. This is a great but affordable limited edition produced by Montegrappa. As Montegrappa is now owned by Montblanc, I heard that the price is pretty rigid and subject to yearly increase. It is good that you manage to get a discount from it. Just recently, Montegrappa has launched the second Genio Creativo Series, the Amedeo Modigliani. Amedeo Modigliani is a great Italian artist. This pen is made with deep blue resin and I must say it is a very pretty and weighty pen. If you like high quality Montegrappa limited edition pens, but do not wish to spend thousands of dollars for it, this series may be the one which you can consider about. :)

Makes sense, this Series is similar to the MB Writer's Edition Series, they are in a comparable price range. The Amedeo Modigliani looks very nice, something to think about in the future :)

Edited by AKAGodSent

• 3 weeks later...

How did I miss this?

I love the grain and color variations of a great wood. Unlike many unsealed wood pens that stain with oils from the hand during use, the Montegrappa Stradivari is sealed with resin to protect the wood, just as Stradivari sealed his violins with resin in the 17th Century and produced a resonance that has never been duplicated.

The jewel atop the cap is a white topaz, a stone with a storied history ranging from the Egyptian god Ra, to Aaron's armour, to Revelations and the Apocolypse.

The warm wood and the cool platinum are a nice contrast.

You know you can have the medium nib ground down to whatever degree of fine you like for note taking and margin scribbles.

Congratulations Yan - you have great taste.

Edited by yachtsilverswan

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

How did I miss this?

I love the grain and color variations of a great wood. Unlike many unsealed wood pens that stain with oils from the hand during use, the Montegrappa Stradivari is sealed with resin to protect the wood, just as Stradivari sealed his violins with resin in the 17th Century and produced a resonance that has never been duplicated.

The jewel atop the cap is a white topaz, a stone with a storied history ranging from the Egyptian god Ra, to Aaron's armour, to Revelations and the Apocolypse.

The warm wood and the cool platinum are a nice contrast.

You know you can have the medium nib ground down to whatever degree of fine you like for note taking and margin scribbles.

Congratulations Yan - you have great taste.

I think from now on I'll simply skip over the reading material provided with my pens and head over to PMing you as soon as possible :). Thank you for the correction in regards to the Jewel!

I do plan on having the medium nib reground at some point in the future. For now I'm waiting to get back the pens I sent Richard to see how they write, so I can have a better idea of which size I enjoy more (.5 or .7mm).

Amadeo Modigliani is my favorite artist. I made a special trip to NYC four years ago to see the Modigliani exhibit at the Jewish Museum. Does anyone know who is selling these pens?

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Amadeo Modigliani is my favorite artist. I made a special trip to NYC four years ago to see the Modigliani exhibit at the Jewish Museum. Does anyone know who is selling these pens?

Morning Charlie -

The Modigliani pen is also made by Montegrappa.

There is a thread about the Modigliani on FPN here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=84184

Paradise Pen seems to have one in stock; I expect the Rose Gold edition is more difficult to find: http://www.paradisepen.com/paradise/produc...d=ISAMN3AO&

Good hunting.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib