help me chose another one

memphislawyer

well, i have my bexley sheherazade. nice pen, and my fav color, blue. holds a lot of ink and i like the demonstrator. the fine nib corrects everything i did not like about the charleston xf nib: the fine bexley is wet and is great.

so, here are some thoughts for another pen. any comments?

another bexley, the submariner or submariner grand in the special colors at richards pens (this and the visconti opera club are neck and neck)

pexley owners club pen

visconti wall street - least desireable of the ones i have listed.

visconti van gogh - cheapest one i think

visconti copernicus if i can find one (worried about the filler and it getting caught and leaking on my shirts)

visconti opera club - have handled it and i like

a pelikan.

im wondering how they write and feel compared to the bexley i have. the opera club is heavy and i think it may be a hard one to keep writing with in court.

im whittling them down. i saw a delta oversize i liked, and the aurora and ancora are nice, and so is the signum, but the orione, i dont like the silver section housing the nib so that is why i shied away.

i told myself i'd wait a week before i bought another one. two days to go, lol

sam

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• memphislawyer

• wimg

• TheNobleSavage

• tzmcneill

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sam,

What about a Stipula Etruria in Amber or Blue, with an F nib?

They don't leak when you accidentally turn the cap when posted; it doesn't engage on the piston knob... :lol: <GDR>

Warm regards, Wim ;)

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I have the copernicus and it is a great writer. I have yet had a problem with it leaking same as my Stipula Saturno. The ring around the crescent filler is there to protect the Crescent from being pressed down by accident. It takes an active and conscience motion to turn the ring to the appropriate position to fill the pen. I have to admit that levers are more prone to being activly discharged mostky due to a loose lever box.

Copernicus are really stunning pens and the same type of celluloid as the Wallstreet and the Manhattan. Yes, they are tough to find but at the pen show I saw 2 like mine, same color and everything.

Bexley Owners Club, well I just recieved mine in the mail and I am 100% happy with it!!! One problem, you need to register your pens before December of 2005 to be eligible for one. There are a total of 226 of these pens produced, 113 in each color. they are close to being sold out if not already. I am sure that there will be some for sale on the Greenboard by someone who needs to make a quick buck and dump it.

Visconti Van Gogh. Those are nice pens with a nice looking 2 tone 14kt gold nib. I had 2, one in SandelWood Brown and A Crystal. My Brown came back from Repair after barrel was fixed by a couple of nasty splits. I happen to give that to my wife and she loves it. My Crystal has plenty of good use to it and it continues to write quite nicely!! Great pens for the money and they are even better when you can find them used for under $100.00 on the greenboard.

Opera are nice but I happen to like the larger Opera Master, they are nice pens and great writers but big $$$$

Pelikans are great pens for the money and I have to say that the M1000 is my favorite followed up with the M600's.

To compare Bexley pens with other makes and brands is like comparing apples and oranges!!!

One of these days I am going to get a Waterman Edson in the classic Sapphire blue along with an Oversize Delta Dolce Vita. Delta nibs are among one of the smoothest ones around.

Aurora Pens such as the optima are wonderful writers with a good sized piston filler. They are smaller than the Sheherazade but while posted, they are a comfortable size. The only thing I dont like are the toothy Nibs that Aurora is known for. I have a broad Optima nib on mine and I reground it to get rid of the scratchyness or toothyness. Some people swear by the toothy nibs, I do not, In fact I wind up swearing at them. So I reground mine and it is as smooth as ice. A wonderful writer. My Dad bought one like mine but with a medium nib at the pen show. He inked it and tried it and he absoutly hated it!!! He was so disappointed by the toothy nibs eventhough I warned him about it before he bought it.

As soon as we inked it and then tried it, I brought him right downstairs to John Mottishaw to fix. And Fix he did!!! It was as smooth as ice by the time he was done with it. One thing that john Mottishaw complained about when it came to Aurora nibs is that they do not have a foot on the nib. HE said all it is, is a nib with a drop of tipping material. So he created one for my Dad and 20.00 later my dad was as happy as a man could be!!

I have 1 ancora and I love the pen. I bought mine from Levenger for 99.00 and in fact they have plenty of them. The nibs are quite odd because they taper down and get thin right before they add the large ball of tipping material. Some hate it and some love it. I love mine, thats for sure. They have lots of flex and spring to it and since mine is a broad, it lays down one hell of a wet line!!!!

As for Stipula Pens, as long as you stay away from the 22 and the Verona, you will have a wonderful writer. The nibs are made by the same people who make Bexley nibs and Pelikan, Bock!! Try out the older Duetto with the 18kt gold nib, they sure are nice writers. If I have to compare some of the pens with Bexley pens then I would Choose a Stipula. They are nice writers and usually pretty wet ones. The Etruria and the Novecento are my favorite Stipulas

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

well, i got my bexley last week so owners club, for now, is out. the opera i can see getting it larger, and like the van gogh, ill have to see if there is a deal. otherwise ill keep an eye out for the copernicus. thanks

sam

I don't know what your budget is, but the Waterman Edson Saphire is a gorgeous pen. I'd save up for one myself if they weren't too big for me.

Gentlemen: We have created a Monster! :D

Sam:

Enjoying your new Bexley?

So many pens, so little time....

I would research to see where your nearest pen club, pen show, pen store are located and start checking the different nibs and pen manufacturers. This will give you an idea of what to get next without breaking the bank or having to dump the pen later on the green board.

As you tend to favor small nibs, you could try a small stub, a small italic, fine nibs, Japanese mediums, flexible nibs, etc.....

Best wishes,

Pedro

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Oh, Sam ...you've got it bad and that ain't good :D :lol: Wait until you get into more inks and customized nibs...don't say we didn't warn you :D :D Have a great time with your new pens!!

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

well, my wailtys came in and i inked the 52 with the havana brown. what a nice color, trying to decide where to use it in the office - client forms, sign contracts, calendar notations. i have the 69L but it needs an ink and i think i hear purple

sam

well, my wailtys came in and i inked the 52 with the havana brown. what a nice color, trying to decide where to use it in the office - client forms, sign contracts, calendar notations. i have the 69L but it needs an ink and i think i hear purple

sam

Ohhhhhh . . . they're talking to you already :blink: :blink: :blink: !!! You're past the point of no return. The FP bug has entered and has already permanently altered your DNA. From now on, no RB or BP will seem compatible. They'll all be crude sticks. Your bank account will never recover. ;) ENJOY and welcome to The FPNuthouse!!! Now you're a full-fledged addict :P

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Sam:

Have you taken a look at any of the Japanese makers? For roughly the price of a Visconti Wall Street you could be in a full custom urushi Nakaya or Maki-e Dani Trio. If you're in that price range, Loiminchay and Merlen (Italian) may also be on your radar. The Viscontis are beauties and I don't think you could go wrong with them, at this point its probably just a question of aesthetics and comfort.

tzmcneill

id be willing to consider the pens last mentioned, but i dont know much about them. there were viscontis, duponts, parkers, shaeffers, montblancs, some lower priced conklins, a couple of think pens, one krone, and maybe a couple of other brands at our local store. so the viscontis looked the best of what was available. i bought the bexley considering the mostly overwhelming positive reviews as to its aesthetics and its nib. i am very, very satisfied.

the wailtys that i have look so pedestrian compared to the bexley. kinda hard to get excited to write with it, but because it has brown ink, i am using it for my calendar notations (that and the ink flow is not as wet so it tends to not bleed through the page).

i did learn that the bexley is a resin pen and i was thinking celluloid. id not mind an education on the characteristics of the celluloid vs. resin, its desirability, and also the japanese materials. i will tell you i am not a collector as much as a user - i want to carry the pens proudly in my dress shirt pocket.

sam

saw these on PT and maybe someone, backchannel even, tell me about these pens, or marlen, or the seller, or the size:

Marlen Rubi-Red Journal, medium 2 tone 18K nib - US$160.00 shipped

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/woo...redjournal2.jpg

Marlen 21, Night Blue Marble, medium 2 tone 18K nib - US$160.00 shipped

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/woo...ghtblue2pen.jpg

sam