Montblanc Marcel Proust LE-review

goodguy

I was dreaming about it, yearning about it and now after a long wait I have the pen.

I got it from a guy in Toronto and the pen was MIB.

Like most other pens I buy I never really saw the pen in my eyes.

In the pictures the pen is beautiful and I had to have it.

The first reaction when I saw the pen once I opened the box was “Isn’t that the small version of the Proust ?”

I expected the pen to be bigger. This pen is really small roughly the size of the Pelikan M200 and so the first thing I felt was a bit of a disappointment as I like BIG pens.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture004-7.jpg

Well after the initial shock past I started to look closer at the pen and that’s when the pen starts shining. Every part of this pen was meticulously planed to work with the pen, I mean this pen is beautiful but without being shiny at all.

The barrel is the main attraction of this pen. Made of Silver Sterling it is pleasing to the eye to see the obvious craftsmanship done to it.

The best way and the only way to really appreciate the barrel is by seeing it.

The barrel has 8 faces and there are 2 themes engraved in it one looks like leafs and the other dots, very well done.

The trim and clip looks like they are also made of Silver as they already started to tarnish.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture007-6.jpg

The cap and barrel are rather simple and all the attention is focused at the barrel.

Under the barrel and above the pistons knob there are threads to post the cap.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture008-4.jpg

The nib is beautiful with a sand watch engraved on it and gold plating surrounds it.

This nib is a Medium size and is also not too big in size.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture012-4.jpg

In the hand the pen light weight when compared to other WE pens. It is not a very light weight as you have the silver barrel and what I suspect is a brass piston but it’s nicely light.

The pen is nicely balanced due to its smaller size. It simply falls into the hand and nothing sticks out and thus nothing is sticking out to whip around.

The nib is one of the nicest M nibs I have in my collection. Naturally I go for F nibs but this nib is not as wide as other M nibs I have and so it feels great to me.

It’s very smooth and very responsive. Simply a joy.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture015-5.jpg

It’s obvious this pen was designed to be posted so I had to try it posted.

Now I need to say first I cant stand posting my pens, The only pen I enjoyed posting was my Boheme as the cap was very light and didn’t mess with the balance of the pen.

With the case of this pen I felt as if the cap hurt badly the balance of the pen. I couldn’t write with it posted.

I need to ad I know of people that work with this pen only posted and enjoys it a lot so maybe it’s just me.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture019-1.jpg

Summery

This pen is one of the most desirable WE pens and I can understand why people love it so much, this pen has a vintage quality to it we all miss so much in modern pens. It’s a modern work of art.

The pen is a joy to use with light weight and well balance. The nib is very smooth and very responsive but it does have one big flaw, it’s simply a small pen and for those like me that never post their pen will find it’s not so natural to use it.

Don’t get me wrong this is not a tiny pen by any means but its smaller then what I am accustomed to.

Thank you David B for helping me to get the pen :thumbup:

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture016-4.jpg

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• KJY

• RedRob

• MiniMaupassant

Thanks for another good review.

I have held one of these pens in my hand, but somehow I do not recall the small size. In the photo of the Proust with a Meisterstueck, is the Meisterstueck a 146 or a 149?

Thanks for another good review.

I have held one of these pens in my hand, but somehow I do not recall the small size. In the photo of the Proust with a Meisterstueck, is the Meisterstueck a 146 or a 149?

The pen is the 149.

I sold my 146 a while back to pay for the Pope.

The Proust isn't that small but it is smaller then any other WE pen I own.

Respect to all

... this pen has a vintage quality to it we all miss so much in modern pens. It’s a modern work of art.

I couldn't agree more.

Congratulations on this new acquisition!

Could you post a group picture of all your MB WEs?

Which one is your favorite in your WE collection?

Which one do you suspect to be your next purchase?

... this pen has a vintage quality to it we all miss so much in modern pens. It’s a modern work of art.

I couldn't agree more.

Congratulations on this new acquisition!

Could you post a group picture of all your MB WEs?

Which one is your favorite in your WE collection?

Which one do you suspect to be your next purchase?

My favorite used to be the Dumas but now I must admit its the Agatha.

I plan to post pictures in the MB forum soon of all my WE pens.

As for the next purchase,I will take a pause from buying as I run out of money and pens to sell.Dont really know when the next pen will be bought.

Respect to all

I used to be on the fence as well between the Agatha and the Proust. Not anymore. The Proust won hands down.

I know it may take a long while, but nonetheless, out of curiosity, which pen is likely to be your next purchase in the series?

I have narrowed my MB collection* to the Proust, Medici, Fitzgerald, Agatha, Woolf, Hemingway and Dumas as some pens were overcast by others and fell into disuse. I feel there is too much disparity in design quality among the WE pens for them to stand in the same collection.

Is it important for you to acquire all the WE lineup or now that you have stellar pens such as the Agatha and the Proust are you more likely to narrow the WE collection down to your favorites?

* I will need to add a Charlemagne to this collection as I've offered the one I had to someone.

I used to be on the fence as well between the Agatha and the Proust. Not anymore. The Proust won hands down.

I know it may take a long while, but nonetheless, out of curiosity, which pen is likely to be your next purchase in the series?

I have narrowed my MB collection* to the Proust, Medici, Fitzgerald, Agatha, Woolf, Hemingway and Dumas as some pens were overcast by others and fell into disuse. I feel there is too much disparity in design quality among the WE pens for them to stand in the same collection.

Is it important for you to acquire all the WE lineup or now that you have stellar pens such as the Agatha and the Proust are you more likely to narrow the WE collection down to your favorites?

* I will need to add a Charlemagne to this collection as I've offered the one I had to someone.

I was very lucky this year with my WE pens.

Bryant got me few WE for super prices.I didnt plan to get then,he simply got good deals on them and so I ended up with them.

Even the Agatha was a good deal of Bryant.

The Proust is the only WE pen I actualy went hunting for.

I think the next WE pen will be the same.If Bryant will get one for a good deal I will ask him to sell it to me.

I am dreaming of the Hemingway and Imperial Dragon but seriously dont see how I will get then with htere current prices.

I dont think I will get another POA though.I find them to be too much for me.Too expensive,too flashy while the WE are more down to earth and cheaper.

Maybe my next purchase will be the Dickens.

I want all the WE pens,as a collector I always strive to find all the pens ever produced in the category I find interesting.Same is with my Snorkel collection.

Respect to all

Hi Amir,

As you know, this is my favourite WE pen, so congratulations! I am enjoying it vicariously through your photos, 'cause this is probably the closest I will come to owning it unless a miracle happens! Of course, if the pen is too small and uncomfortable for you, talk to me back-channel : )

You say that the size is close to the Pelikan M2XX, but are you sure it is that small? Looks more like an M6XX to me in the comparison photo with the MS 149, though I could be wrong.

What appeals to me the most about this pen, is the vintage styling and the engraved silver overlay. The only thing I dislike about it, are the threads for posting the cap -- I am not a fan of this design, and wish that the cap just posted normally instead of screwing in. Otherwise, the Proust is pretty close to perfect.

I am dreaming of the Hemingway and Imperial Dragon but seriously dont see how I will get then with htere current prices.

I dont think I will get another POA though.I find them to be too much for me.Too expensive,too flashy while the WE are more down to earth and cheaper.

Maybe my next purchase will be the Dickens.

I find that the Dickens is a very "user friendly" pen, it is absolutely my favourite Montblanc of the ones I own. However, if you say that you write with your pens unposted, you may not like it. The body without the cap is the same size as the MS 146, and it is very lightweight -- might be too small and light for you. With the cap posted, it becomes a completely different creature, heavy and enormous. The cap is heavier than the rest of the pen.

Edited by QM2

Being a silver pen kind of woman, I was lusting until you mentioned the size. Waaaaaaaaaaaa! Another dream shattered. :crybaby:

I do love the pattern on it.

Being a silver pen kind of woman, I was lusting until you mentioned the size. Waaaaaaaaaaaa! Another dream shattered. :crybaby:

I do love the pattern on it.

I put the Proust next to a none retractable MB Boheme and the pens are about the same size unposted.

Slowly I find the Proust more and more comfy.

Respect to all

Beautiful pen and I love the cat photo!!!

MM

Thanks both me and the cat love this pen.

Respect to all

As for the next purchase,I will take a pause from buying as I run out of money and pens to sell.Dont really know when the next pen will be bought.

I agree! The Agatha is the best so far. Thanks for this WE review. It's kind of sad we will wait long time for another one. Just please don't sell the snorkels.

Enjoy your pens in good health!

Ciao,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I agree! The Agatha is the best so far. Thanks for this WE review. It's kind of sad we will wait long time for another one. Just please don't sell the snorkels.

Enjoy your pens in good health!

Ciao,

Thank you.

Not a chance I will not sell my snorkel.

If anything I keep adding more as I find them with the right price.

Respect to all

• 2 weeks later...
:happyberet: Can the cat write with the pen? :roflmho: :roflmho:

Henrico

Actualy quit well but only when I am not around :ltcapd:

Respect to all

excellent review ;) , definitely a classic pen. And zuzik loves that pen that he wants badly to write with it

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful pen. Congratulations.

regards

eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)