Nakaya "Art Model" Piccolo Writer

feiye

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/shinka01.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/shinka02.jpg

1) First Impressions 10/10

Unwrapping a Nakaya is always an experience in itself. Each piece is packed in the same "pen kimono", then laid in the same paulownia box that is finished with a rice paper outer cover. Whenever I receive a Nakaya, it's the same feeling of unwrapping a mystery as the packaging gives away no clues as to what the inside contains. Likewise, with this new Nakaya, it was a pleasant surprise opening up the package to find a simple black Piccolo adorned with just a bit of shine.

2) Appearance & Design 9/10

When I ordered this pen, I had no idea what the finished result would be. I told Nakaya I wanted one of their Art Models (which have now been discontinued) and they responded by letting me know that each piece is unique. If I had any requests, they told me, I needed to let them know. I left it entirely in their hands but did state that I wanted something simple and not too flashy as I intended to use this pen on a day to day basis. I wanted a small design not the entire body design of say the Sakura Art Model.

They did not disappoint. The motif here, called "Shinka" or Purple Flowers, only adorn where the cap and body meet. It is done using nail lacquers, the majority of it opalescent ones which change colour depending on the way the light hits the pen. The design is not particularly complex, nor does it showcase the full extent of Nakaya's abilities. It is however an interesting choice of paints that no other pen company has thought to use.

Nakaya uses a variety of opalescent, opaque and glitter nail lacquers to create this design. I like their choice of paints and the creative use of glitter nail polish that aside from when I was 8 and decided to paint my finger nails, I have yet to find a good use for.

There has been much said about the Piccolo on FPN already and there is no need to repeat them here. The Piccolo is a traditional design and an iconic Nakaya.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/shinka03.jpg

3) Weight & Dimensions 8/10

The dimensions are: 142mm capped, 123mm uncapped. The Piccolo was not designed to be posted. It is a light pen which lends to its suitability for a daily user, it will definitely not fatigue the hand. Conversely, I do not think the Piccolo makes a good signing pen because of its light weight. The Piccolo Writer I ordered is longer than the regular Piccolo (see comparison picture) and is more comfortable to hold for extended periods.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/shinka04.jpg

Next to a regular Piccolo Cigar (Aka-tame).

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/shinka05.jpg

Next to a Lamy Vista, the two are identical in length with the Vista being just a tad heavier than the Piccolo

4) Nib & Performance 10/10

I requested a "soft and flexible, super extra-fine nib" from Nakaya this time. This nib was reground from a flexible fine nib and performs magnificently (as can be seen from the writing samples). Nakaya adjusts each of their nibs according to personal writing habits, something that ensures they will perform how you like.

This nib shows amazing contrast between thick and thin, it flexes more easily than the flexible fine nib I had on my Aka-tame Piccolo. It has wet flow and will lay down a line as soon as it touches paper, no hesitancy at all. Because of this wet flow, it is prone to some nib creep at the tip when I flex it. Nakaya nibs are 14kt gold and I believe they create some of the best needlepoints around, there is no scratchiness associated with this nib despite how fine it is.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/shinka06.jpg

5) Filling System 7/10

Another cartridge/converter filling system. Of note is that Nakaya provides a complimentary packet of cartridges with each pen. I really enjoy the sound of Platinum cartridges as they have a little metal all rolling around inside them once pierced that helps de-clump the ink (or something!).

6) Cost & Value 8/10

Nakayas are not known for being economic pens. Also of note is that when purchasing a Nakaya, you have to factor in not only the cost of the pen, but also the time of production. I believe they are worth the wait for a custom made piece.

This pen cost about US$640 due to the special length Piccolo requirement and took close to 4 months to arrive.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/shinka07.jpg

7) Conclusion

I've found a perfect daily user, this one is going to be seeing a lot of use. I think it's a pity that the Art Model has been discontinued by Nakaya but I believe they have a handful of pieces left. It is a very beautiful pen and the choice of materials is enough to make me chuckle and glance at it each time I paint my nails. :)

--Feiye

Edited by feiye

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feiye

• Lloyd

• QM2

• Ondina

Top Posters In This Topic

Feiye.

Thanks for the great review. It is indeed a unique creation and a very beautiful pen. Congrats on another excellent addition to your collection.

Regards,

Neil

Feiye, a beautiful pen and very girly in my opinion - I better not show it to my wife or she'll want one!

It the paintwork raised off the surface? Can you feel it or is is smooth?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

a well written review complete wth handwriting samples and nice photos. thanks for sharing and enjoy the pen.

mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

Feiye, a beautiful pen and very girly in my opinion - I better not show it to my wife or she'll want one!

It the paintwork raised off the surface? Can you feel it or is is smooth?

It is extremely feminine, better get your wife one fast! I hear they have 3 left in stock when I last enquired. ;)

The paintwork is nail polish essentially so it is slightly raised off the surface. Because they use small amounts of glitter in the finish, you can feel it although there is a layer of clear lacquer over the paintwork so it is still quite smooth.

a well written review complete wth handwriting samples and nice photos. thanks for sharing and enjoy the pen.

mike

Thanks Mike! That display pic of yours cracks me up every time :D

In rotation:

Feiye,

What a great review of a very unique Nakaya! I like the longer length of the Piccolo, as well as the colour scheme and the choice of placement for the design. Those soft lilac tones work extremely well with the plain black background; had any other colours been mixed in there, it would not have been as striking. And I think that limiting the flowers to the center of the pen creates a more poignant visual effect than an all-over painting. It feels like the artist made really good decisions here and successfully delivered that intangible "wow" factor within a conservative framework -- certainly a difficult balance to achieve with such a quirky medium!

How many other Nakayas do you have with custom designs? I am still torn about what sort of design I would want, so both of my Nakaya's are standard-option tamenuri models. But one design I have been considering is a plain black urushi background like yours, with either a flower wreath or a single branch of cherry blossoms around the center, painted in urushi-e without the use of gold powder. I am drawn to the idea of a single burst of colour surrounded by an expanse of dark lacquer.

Congratulations and I hope that this pen indeed becomes a daily user; it seems perfect for that role!

QM2

Edited by QM2

Beautiful pen and writing!

What do they do to protect the nail polish from wear and chipping?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I have to compliment your handwriting and your review. It really is amazing! I know its all about the pen, but I kept just going back to your Handwriting.

Very nice,

Thanks!

Bryant

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

A fine review, Feiye, and what a fabulous pen you ended up with after the long 4 month wait. Worth it, eh? :D I'm surprised at the cost... I guess the nail polish approach is less intensive for preparation and execution. I'm pleased to hear that Nakaya is open to making shape changes to their standard pen sizes. I like the tapered ends of the Piccolo, but found the size too short, so it's great to see that extending the size is quite feasible. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Isn't the lacquer enough?

Is there a clear lacquer coating covering the nial polish?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

How many other Nakayas do you have with custom designs?...

QM2, thank you for your extensive response! I didn't take this pen with me on my trip to Singapore so I am missing it somewhat, luckily I'm on my way home and I'll be able to see it again this evening :)

I now have 3 special order Nakayas with another on its way (this is a bad bad bad habit, I picked up another one while in Singapore...watch out for photos). This Shinka though is the only real "custom" one where I was involved with the entire election process of what I wanted on my pen. The others I just chose from their special order page (Coloured Chinkin Palmet, Goldfish Maki-e).

Your design sounds very intriguing, I look forward to seeing it if you do choose to get that particular custom pen!

A pen to be enjoyed with very good nib election and performance.

Thanks for the review and fantastic photos.

Thank you, my phone is blushing with all the compliments about the photos. I've found with Nakaya, that you really just need to let them know what you would like in a nib and they can make it happen. I asked for their super extra fine with as much flexibility as they could manage and they delivered. :)

What do they do to protect the nail polish from wear and chipping?

Nail polish is pretty tough when it's on such a smooth surface. They do have a light layer of clear lacquer over the design alone. I don't think the polish will chip or wear too much.

I have to compliment your handwriting and your review. It really is amazing! I know its all about the pen, but I kept just going back to your Handwriting.

Thanks Bryant, I've been practising the writing :) I still can't write that fast but it doesn't look illegible anymore.

Ah, what an excellent review! Thanks for posting this.

You really have been working on your penmanship, haven't you? :)

No problemos. Yes I have been working on it, you can count yourself as one of the parties who have inspired me to practise although I still have to make a conscious effort to write "nicely". My normal writing's still either messy as heck or short and stubby.

A fine review, Feiye, and what a fabulous pen you ended up with after the long 4 month wait. Worth it, eh? :D I'm surprised at the cost... I guess the nail polish approach is less intensive for preparation and execution. I'm pleased to hear that Nakaya is open to making shape changes to their standard pen sizes. I like the tapered ends of the Piccolo, but found the size too short, so it's great to see that extending the size is quite feasible. :)

Very very worth it. I was surprised at the cost of the Art Model series as well, I think it contributed to why I went that route in the end. The Piccolo comes in 3 sizes, the regular short 130mm one, the 142 "portable" size and the large Singapore size which is 151mm. I like the middle size the most but both the smallest and the middle size fit very well in my hand.

In rotation:

• 2 weeks later...

After lusting over Feiye's Shinka for several weeks (or was it just days?), I contacted Nakaya about the Art Model. I was told they have a few, and was emailed pics of 4 pens (two of which have not been laquered yet). All are based on the Portable size -- two are Writers (with clip) and two are the Cigar (without clip).

I thought I'd want a simple design, too, but all were fairly complex flower designs. I found myself drawn to the "Tree Peony" as shown on Nakaya's site (this is the pic they sent me). In the process of selecting that pen, the Nakaya rep realized she'd sent me the wrong pic and she sent me this pic of what will soon be my Art Model. I really love this design and am anxious to get it! I think it looks more like "Tree Magnolia." It should be here in January.

Thanks Feiye for a great review! HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little