What is the best ink for your fountain pen

ThangMMM

What is the best ink for your fountain pen ?  

405 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best ink for your fountain pen ?

• Parker Quink
    • Sheaffer Skrip
    • Waterman
    • Pelikan
    • Aurora
    • Lamy
    • Noodler's
    • Private Reserve
    • Diamine
    • J.Herbin
    • Schneider
    • Others

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThangMMM

• sonia_simone

• Ink Stained Wretch

• RonB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

darn - if it really were that easy..

problem is - I have to say "what is your favorite ink in the following colors?"

Brown

Red

Blue

Green

Violet/Purple

Blue-black

and so on. I find many great inks in the PR brand, but also in Diamine and Noodlers. Not so many in Quink, WM, Sheaffer, etc. They're good inks, just not on my list.

That said - since Diamine inks dominate my rotation right now... i guess I'll go with that.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

What is the "best" ink. Safest is Skrip but, if you mean "best" as favorite I think there should be a lot of different answers.

Roger W.

I'm with KCat on this - different colors, different ink brands. I went with Noodler's because: 1) I have a lot of them and like most of them, 2) deep saturated colors appeal to me more than lighter colored inks do.

Definitely a tough choice, though, since I also love Aurora Blue, Waterman Purple, PR's Black Magic Blue, J Herbin's Mood Dust...

:P

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

I have a dead tie between Diamine and Waterman, but I voted for Waterman since Blue-black is my one, true love.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

It's hard to single out a particular brand of ink that's "best" for a pen, but I chose Waterman because it's the most trouble free ink I've used. Waterman Blue-Black and Waterman Florida Blue being my favourites from the brand.

Edited by Apollo
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

The most trouble free ink that is very slow to turn dark (if at all) in my pens is J. Herbin, so it voted for it.

I can and do use Pelikan, Waterman, Lamy and others and just wish they didn't turn dark as quickly as they do since I have a lot of pens inked and do not get the ink in all of them used quickly enough to avoid the problem.

Best, Ann

Of all four of the inks I own, I like the Waterman best because it can keep up with my large loops and flourishes that I do. The flow is still not as wet as I'd like it - writing my first name - Jared - the whole word is dry by the time I get to the 'd'. I'd like an ink that would be free-flowing enough in the pen I have so that at least some several words would be wet - I just like the glistening look.

Aurora Black is too boring for me and isn't as wet in my pen as the Fl. Blue.

I probably would have said Waterman a week ago, but I voted 'other'. I just bought a couple of bottles of Sailor Jentile ink(blue and blue-black), and I'm hooked. The BB has a vintage look to it, and the blue is nice as well. Flow is the best I have seen. I have a very dry writing Sheaffer Prelude(xf nib) that was transformed when filled with Sailor blue. Good stuff!

Larry

I have a dead tie between Diamine and Waterman, but I voted for Waterman since Blue-black is my one, true love.

Anyone know whether Waterman Blue Nuit is the same as blue-black?

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

I would assume so, since a person typically associates black with night, and that would be the meaning of nuit in french...

Does anyone have Blue Suede? Does it flow well? I want an ink that gushes.. absolutely gushes.

I voted Noodler's. I like the range of colors, the saturation of color and the flow characteristics.

One thing that the Noodler's does much better than most other ink mfg.s is UV protection.

Fade protection is probably not important for everyday writing, and I will use non-Noodler inks such as PR Tanzanite for writing. But many top-drawer inks I've bought and applied a simple sun-ray fade test to did not do well at all. :( Every one of the Noodler's inks I've tested have been very good.

Also, I like the range of waterproof/semi-waterproof inks that Noodler's offers. :)

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Black is my favourite ink colour. When writing on white paper, i think black is the best ink colour for your eye. In my country, we have an idiom: "black ink on white paper", that means clear, obvious, and universal truth. With me, the best ink in black, is Sheaffer Skrip. I use Sheaffer Prelude with skrip every day, and i feel it is better than Waterman Allure with waterman ink, or even Parker Duofold with Quink

ps: I'm from Vietnamese, nice to meet you.

I would assume so, since a person typically associates black with night, and that would be the meaning of nuit in french...

Does anyone have Blue Suede? Does it flow well? I want an ink that gushes.. absolutely gushes.

PR Blue Suede?

it flows well but it isn't a gusher like Tanzanite or Black Magic Blue.

It also isn't blue. It's a dark teal - mostly green.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

waterman ink is the leader

I have never used waterman ink before. Is waterman Ink really a perfect ink for all pen ? Or, there are more people who use Waterman's fountain pen than other ?

Black Quink on the 75

I once spent over an hour trying to get black Quink flow in a 75. I flushed the pen, I flushed the converter with diluted ammonia solution, I tried a different converter, I adjusted the nib, I flossed the nib, I pulled the nib off the feed and flossed the feed. It simply would not flow. Finally I flushed the pen once more and loaded it with Waterman Blue-Black, and it worked like a champ.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

I know from experience that Waterman inks are reliable, non-staining, and have great flow properties. I've heard time and again that they are very benign for all types of pens. Richard B seems to use exclusively this ink in his favorite pen, and Wim uses it to prime his new pens. The only aspect of Waterman ink which gives me pause is the high content of particulate matter. Makes me wonder if my favorite ink maker, Aurora, is even more benign.

only aspect of Waterman ink which gives me pause is the high content of particulate matter

particulate = deposits ?