Cross Sauvage Zebra Onyx medium nib

dandelion

SMALL TALK/INTRO

This is my first pen review here. I'm not as ambitious as I've seen that some of you are - I'm impressed by all pictures and hand written reviews!

A couple of days ago I got this Cross Sauvage, Zebra Onyx w medium nib in the post. I haven't tried any of Cross pens before - I've had some prejudices against Cross as a bit boring (no offense to loyal Cross fans) but when I saw pictures of the Sauvage I knew I had to get one. So, I had high expectations with regards to the design and high hopes regarding the performance - when I opened the parcel with my Sauvage.

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/ProductImages/XLarge/rp3100176e.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSION & AESTHETICS

...was WOW. What a beautiful pen! The shape of the pen is exquisite and the materials - black lacquer and shining chrome - has a high end finish that exceeded my expectations. The pen - which is not particularly cheap to begin with - both looks and feels like a more expensive pen - very classy. I'm very impressed by the finish and the outstanding design and shape. The cap with the Zebra pattern, which I had feared should look cheap or weird, fits the pen perfectly and adds a great deal of charm and personality to the pen. It was instant love! :wub:

http://www.coloradopen.com/images/uploads/sauvage-onyx-fountain-pen.png

SIZE, WEIGHT, BALANCE

In my opinion this is a medium size pen with a comfortable weight to it. It is a pleasure to hold. I don't have small hands and I think this pen would fit both men and women as long as they don't have very big hands. It is very well balanced both with and without the cap posted. An extra plus :clap1: for a cap that is very easy posted without scratching the barrel. So far everything exceeds the high expectations...!

PERFORMANCE

Since all impressions before trying it was so very good, I was nervous when the time came to o try it. I carefully inked the penand began to write and was relieved and happy when the pen's 18 k (white) gold nib turned out to be a smooth and excellent writer. Maybe a bit wet, but that might have been the not so good paper. Very nice to write with. I think this is the kind of pen that can be pure pleasure to write long letters with.

IN ALL

This pen gives extremely good value for the money. It has the beauty and performance of a much more expensive pen. They have succeeded in creating a pen that combines both classical and modern features with a original and clever twist.

I'm charmed! :blush:

Petra

Edited by MYU
added stock image

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• msmidwifery

• PigRatAndGoat

• Ondina

Sounds great! The pen has an interesting aesthetic, but not my kind of thing. Well, who cares what I think! Enjoy your pen!

EDIT: Oooh... new smiley... :W2FPN:

Edited by PigRatAndGoat

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Thanks for pics! After using the pen frequently since I got it I still find it extraordinary! :vbg:

This is a Beautiful pen! I'm curious about a few details: Its measurements (length and width), weight (perhaps you have a postal scale? or you could compare it to the relative heft of other pens you have), and how you would describe the "medium" width in relation to other familiar nibs (perhaps a Lamy, or a pilot or such). Is there any flex to the nib? How many turns does the screw-top take?

Thanks for any additional information you are able to share.

Hi,

Here is a picture of my beloved Zebra in the capped mode. A writing sample to show the nib with. For me, who usually prefers fine, I like this medium nib, which I believe is more medium-fine than an ordinary, in the middle medium. This pen is SO likeable. :wub: I also hope you like my home blended purple. I'll leave the recipe in Ink recipes.

Measurements:

It's 14 cm /5 3/4 inches posted and 13 cm or 5 1/4 inches capped and 12, 5 cm/5 inches pen only.

It weighs 33 grammes, which a converter says is 1,159 ounces.

• 1 year later...

I am starting to amass a large fountain pen collection. I am working to acquire a few samples of every major brand of fountain pen. Of course, I have about 30 Cross ballpoint and rollerball pens. So, I recently purchased a Sauvage at my local Pen store. I got it for $100 so it was a good deal. Got the Zebra Onyx. It is a bit feminine by design. That said, it is a dream in the smoothness category. It is smoother than any of my Delta (just by a bit)Lamy's, Parker's, Pelikan's Pilot's (just barely) Montblanc's, Waterman's or any other of my pens. I use it without the cap. With the cap, the balance is to rear-end for me.

While it is very striking, it is not really my style - but it is a very good instrument. I wish Cross could afford to build pens in the USA, not China. As I like to have pens from all countries - and my collection is biased towards Germany, France, Italy and Japan.

• 6 months later...

I realize that this post is quite old, so I'm posting a reply but, at the same time, not really expecting anyone to really notice. ((((laughing))))

=)

Lady Dandelion, I am a huge fan of your blog and I've read almost all of your reviews, whether pen or ink or notebook. And, I just love your photos that you post; including all those of your daily arsenal. At any rate, I felt moved to reply because I have been lusting after the Cross Sauvage ivory python ballpoint for some time. Now that I am beginning to get a clue about fountain pens, I am in the market for a really nice one. I've been doing much research (especially at your blog, Dandelion!) about suitable pens. Frankly, I would love a Pelikan m425, but I'm a graduating student and just don't have the budget for it right now. I was almost settled on the Pelikan 215 XF which I really like the look of, and think it would be very professional-looking for use in my new career, if I chose. On a whim, I thought I might just look for the Cross Sauvage. I saw the fountain pen, and I'm still in love with it. I came back to the pen review forum to check and see if there were any reviews on it. I saw your review, Dandelion, and just knew it was meant to be. While you've reviewed the Zebra, which I also enjoy, I am quite smitten with the ivory python. Which is unusual because I'm just not an animal print kind of gal. I'm actually quite conservative, but I think that this pen (specifically zebra and python) gives a nice classy twist on a classic design, without being "overdone" or gawdy. I think I'm going to choose this, and it's just too bad it doesn't come in an XF. I just love a nice, fine point. I am hoping that this point will be "fine enough".

Keep up the great work, Lady Dandelion! I truly love your blog. I may be inspired to start a quirky little blog of my own. ;-)

Many blessings,

Karen

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

• 3 years later...

I was given this pen as a leaving present when I changed my job back in 2008. Its a beautiful looking pen and a delight to use B)