Super Flexy Frankenpen Experiment

secretasianman

Hello all,

I haven't seen examples of such butchering around here often (maybe I don't lurk in the right fora), so I thought I would share this little tidbit. I received an Ackerman Pump Pen a while ago that didn't perform as I had hoped - yes, I read the warning about trying to use fountain pen ink rather than the more viscous calligraphy ink, but I was stubborn. I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could just push a fountain pen nib into that sucker and have ink flow properly?"

Lo and behold, I picked up my Reform 1745 - acquired from my sister's SO, who no longer used fountain pens - and pulled out the nib and feed. I compared the 1745's nib to the Gillott 303 nib and noticed they were about the same width and curvature. The 303 was only a few millimeters longer than the 1745.

So what did I do? I grabbed a pair of pliers/wire cutters and snipped off the back of the nib. I then took my knife sharpening block (aluminum dioxide, I think) and ground off the sharp bits. When it was smooth enough, I stuck it on the 1745 feed assembly, slipped it back into the body, and inked her up. Here are the results...

post-7880-1225680009_thumb.jpg

post-7880-1225680023_thumb.jpg

post-7880-1225680032_thumb.jpg

post-7880-1225680042_thumb.jpg

post-7880-1225680050_thumb.jpg

Edited by secretasianman

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• secretasianman

• wykpenguin

• MYU

• Memos Random

Nice job! It's a ton o' fun to reshape nibs and find they work well. Of course, it's always a good idea to practice with the cheap ones. Snipping the nib with wire cutters--now that takes guts. ;) I'm glad it you ended up with such great results. Btw, there's an FPN member selling NOS Reform 1745's for a great price, so if you're interested check him out (in the Marketplace, search for 1745). :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

That's great, let us know how it performs long-term.

I've made a few attempts at the same thing with a Wearever and a couple of Esterbrooks and some 303/404 nibs - I didn't have good luck, they always end up leaking. I'll have to try the Reform 1745.

Michael Moncur

That's great, let us know how it performs long-term.

I've made a few attempts at the same thing with a Wearever and a couple of Esterbrooks and some 303/404 nibs - I didn't have good luck, they always end up leaking. I'll have to try the Reform 1745.

I have put some of these pens together too. I have never gotten one to continually work like a fountain pen and draw ink consistently from the sac, through the feed to the nib. I still have to dip the nib. Still, it's better than a dip pen with no feed at all. Keep us posted on your progress.

As of now, I have to turn the piston to get a drop to hang off it before I start writing to prime the nib, but afterward capillary action keeps ink flowing.

Update:

I took it to class Monday and yesterday to take notes with. I found that the tines caught about once or twice a page and sent (cool looking) sprays of ink everywhere.

I changed my grip during my last class yesterday to accommodate the sensitive tines.. I used to hold my pen from 40º to 50º and for this pen, I started holding it at 30º. The pen rested against the top of my thumb, rather than against my index finger base knuckle.

Last night, I decided to change the nib when I refilled the pen (with all that fiddling around with the nib and tissue, I lost a lot of ink).

I cut the back off of a Hunt 101, ground it down, pushed it in, and filled it with Noodler's Walnut. I took it to class today (unfortunately, I only had one class today) and found that I caught the tines on my paper less often. This may be because the desks in this room are higher, and I think I kept my pen gripped at a lower angle.

As it is, I'll be switching back and forth quite a bit over the next few weeks to find out which I like more.

Amazing. :thumbup: :thumbup: I was amazed that Hunt 101 would match the curvature of the feed. I've got to try that on my Reform too.

Is the feed just press fitted?

Personally I like super flexy super fine, which means Hunt's 198 to me, 101 is a bit too wide for my tastes, but who knows, maybe that will change if I don't need to dip it. :thumbup:

Edited by wykpenguin

Amazing. :thumbup: :thumbup: I was amazed that Hunt 101 would match the curvature of the feed. I've got to try that on my Reform too.

Is the feed just press fitted?

Personally I like super flexy super fine, which means Hunt's 198 to me, 101 is a bit too wide for my tastes, but who knows, maybe that will change if I don't need to dip it. :thumbup:

Yes, I did just press fit it. But I had to cut quite a bit off the 101. Whereas the 303 was a straight cut, the 101 was two cuts to make a triangular shape. Pictures to come when I have time tomorrow.

I chose 101s because they are the most readily available to me. I have no experience with 198s. I also have a 22b that I may shape, if only because it is stiffer and would hold up better on paper.

Looks fun.

Have tried similiar experiments with Sheaffer No-Nonsense but ink wouldn't flow.

Does it go dry?

The 303 doesn't really go dry. The 101 does occasionally, but I just twist the piston to prime the nib.

The comment on the 198 was me going off a tangent. It's not going to fit because it is a flexible crow quill tip.

I look forward to seeing your photos because I pulled the nib out of my Reform (from JJ Blanc) but it seemed that the 101 was too flat to fit. Even after bending the nib a bit such that it was more curved I couldn't get the feed back in. How did you do it?

Just another quick question. Which is flexier, the 101 or the 303?

Edited by wykpenguin

The comment on the 198 was me going off a tangent. It's not going to fit because it is a flexible crow quill tip.

I look forward to seeing your photos because I pulled the nib out of my Reform (from JJ Blanc) but it seemed that the 101 was too flat to fit. Even after bending the nib a bit such that it was more curved I couldn't get the feed back in. How did you do it?

Just another quick question. Which is flexier, the 101 or the 303?

I would say the 303 is flexier, but the 101 is bigger, meaning more potential for line variation.

I will post pictures of my nibs soon, either later tonight, or tomorrow morning.

I did not bend the nib to curve it more. I cut the back of the nib such that it was triangle shaped, and smoothed the edges on a knife hone. Thus, there was less nib on top of the feed to push back in.

Lo and behold, I picked up my Reform 1745 - acquired from my sister's SO, who no longer used fountain pens - and pulled out the nib and feed. I compared the 1745's nib to the Gillott 303 nib and noticed they were about the same width and curvature. The 303 was only a few millimeters longer than the 1745.

So what did I do? I grabbed a pair of pliers/wire cutters and snipped off the back of the nib. I then took my knife sharpening block (aluminum dioxide, I think) and ground off the sharp bits. When it was smooth enough, I stuck it on the 1745 feed assembly, slipped it back into the body, and inked her up. Here are the results...

Congratulations!

I tried to get a Sheaffer Prelude broad nib to work on a Sheaffer cartridge pen and it just wouldn't go. I'd really like to make a frankenpen out of those two components though. I've never done real metalwork, and I'm wondering if that's what this combination would require in order to work.

Looking forward to seeing your next batch of photographs.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

As promised, photos of the Reform with a Hunt 101.

As you can see, I had to cut quite a bit off of this one to get it to fit. Don't forget to grind it down to smooth the edges!

post-7880-1226163060_thumb.jpg

post-7880-1226163070_thumb.jpg

post-7880-1226163078_thumb.jpg

post-7880-1226163089_thumb.jpg

post-7880-1226163102_thumb.jpg

Edited by secretasianman

Amazing.

I tried to fit a Gillott 404 to a Parker Frontier a couple of years ago. The results were somewhat less than stellar. Glad somebody was able to get this done.

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

Nice but I am afraid that putting such a nib in continuous contact with ink will accelerate CORROSION.

I figure I'll use it enough that I wear out the nib before it has a chance to corrode.

Time for me to get pair of wire cutters and a Gillot nib.

And for me to order a few more 1745s.

Oh wait... I just did. :D

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.