Noodler's Ganges blue

politovski

bullet proof ink on cheap journal paper. i have tested the ganges with water, rubbing alcohol, gasoline, pure and diluted bleach, carpet cleaner, breakcleaner fluid, soap, and exposure to uv and the outdoors and the paper will deteriorate long before the ink. enjoy

post-13663-1225425936_thumb.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• politovski

• JimB

• Pippin60

• MrsGouletPens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bullet proof ink on cheap journal paper. i have tested the ganges with water, rubbing alcohol, gasoline, pure and diluted bleach, carpet cleaner, breakcleaner fluid, soap, and exposure to uv and the outdoors and the paper will deteriorate long before the ink. enjoy

Nice Ink!

A merciful heart is the greatest of all possessions.

How do you think the photo represents the true colour of the ink? I always imagined this to be a bit brighter... maybe I was dreaming :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

hmmm reminds me of my Noodlers Luxury blue in color.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I recently opened my second bottle of Upper Ganges Blue and was surprised to find the color and characteristics different from the first. The first bottle was almost indistinguishable in color from Luxury Blue, but the second bottle was closer to what I see here, although a bit deeper and saturated.

But the really big difference was that the ink was very prone to feathering and bleeding. So far, it is my "bloodiest" ink. Very strange -- I can't explain it.

Maybe we should start regarding inks -- maybe particularly Noodler's inks -- like fine wine, something that varies not only from batch to batch, but bottle to bottle. Maybe for something not produced in massive industrial quantities, this is an appropriate attitude to have.

Doug

Edited by HDoug

I recently opened my second bottle of Upper Ganges Blue and was surprised to find the color and characteristics different from the first. The first bottle was almost indistinguishable in color from Luxury Blue, but the second bottle was closer to what I see here, although a bit deeper and saturated.

But the really big difference was that the ink was very prone to feathering and bleeding. So far, it is my "bloodiest" ink. Very strange -- I can't explain it.

Maybe we should start regarding inks -- maybe particularly Noodler's inks -- like fine wine, something that varies not only from batch to batch, but bottle to bottle. Maybe for something not produced in massive industrial quantities, this is an appropriate attitude to have.

Doug

I love my Luxury blue but in a few pens it almost hemorrhages ink for example I couldn't use it in my Lamy 2000 fine point because you would think the nib was actually blue, it was so coated with ink.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

How do you think the photo represents the true colour of the ink? I always imagined this to be a bit brighter... maybe I was dreaming :)

Matches my bottle (on my monitor :rolleyes: )

Judd Rogers Lamy Safari M Cursive Italic, 1.1 mm stub Pelikan 200 B Pelikan Go Rotring Initial M and B Waterman 32 Unknown Franken Pen

Nice review. I like the drawings- Maybe I should graph a function, do some integrals or sketch a chemical equilibrium to do an ink review. My one complaint is that you didn't label the axes on your sine graph!

Nice review. I like the drawings- Maybe I should graph a function, do some integrals or sketch a chemical equilibrium to do an ink review. My one complaint is that you didn't label the axes on your sine graph!

Ok, I'm speculating here, but the way Descartes set it up, the Y-axis is probably vertical, and the X-axis is most likely the horizontal one. "Pi" usually refers to radians (at least back in the days of the slide rule, when I took geometry). The +1 and -1 are, um, integers, with all possible values of the sine function varying between these two limits.

HTH :P

I have to say... the integral sent a few unpleasant shivers down my spine, as did the aromatic rings...

Some things are best left to the experts.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.

- Mark Twain

Ok, I'm speculating here, but the way Descartes set it up, the Y-axis is probably vertical, and the X-axis is most likely the horizontal one. "Pi" usually refers to radians (at least back in the days of the slide rule, when I took geometry). The +1 and -1 are, um, integers, with all possible values of the sine function varying between these two limits.

HTH :P

I have to say... the integral sent a few unpleasant shivers down my spine, as did the aromatic rings...

Some things are best left to the experts.

the actual color appears a bit grey on bad paper. now, with my eyedropper cross (with a super wet nib) the color is a very dark and shaded blue on clairefontaine, but it bleeds and feathers like crazy on everything else. i included the drawings to give a different perspective of how the ink looks for other uses. i didn't mean to scare anyone with bad memories of organic chemistry or calculous. but this color, compared to polar blue, is a bit more muted and greenish. compared to waterman florida blue, it is darker and a bit more grey. compared to baystate blue, it looks like a grey/blue.

I've thought about that for a while. It would be nice if Nathan wrote the year and the month it was "brewed" on the bottle, maybe in grease pencil? Or maybe in his "writes-on-glass" white ink?

Yes, I recently got Ganges, and I don't like it. Not just because it's blue. But it feathered on a paper that no other inks feather on (not even Lex Grey)....

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

Yes, I recently got Ganges, and I don't like it.

I'm with you, it just looks too washed out for me.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

• 3 years later...

<!--quoteo(post=793040:date=Nov 3 2008, 07:53 PM:name=Melnicki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melnicki @ Nov 3 2008, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=793040"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, I recently got Ganges, and I don't like it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm with you, it just looks too washed out for me.

With the imminent return of this ink to the Goulet's, I was wondering if this were to be my new blue. Based on the 4 year old review, I'm thinking, "not so much." I wonder if the formula/color will be the same as on this very good review? I guess I have to wait for Brian to post the Swab Shop image...

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

With the imminent return of this ink to the Goulet's

Are we sure about this? I don't mean to doubt you; I'm just very excited. I've been searching forever.

And yes, I know it's bourbon.

Are we sure about this? I don't mean to doubt you; I'm just very excited. I've been searching forever.

Yes, for sure. We'll have it available starting tomorrow! Just did our swab too. http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Ink_Upper_Ganges_Blue_p/n20002.htm

Yes, for sure. We'll have it available starting tomorrow! Just did our swab too. http://www.gouletpen...ue_p/n20002.htm

Has the feathering issue been fixed? Earlier in this thread feathering was said to be pretty bad, but that was years ago. If it has been fixed, I will include with my pending order.

Also I wonder about the color - the swab and writing sample on your web site look nothing like what appears at the top of this post. I know that when testing inks with dip pens, glass or otherwise, bulletproof inks tend to write very wet, appearing much darker than they would out of a regular fountain pen. Can you post a writing sample from a fountain pen, or give a visual description of the difference. If it looks as pale as the writing as the top of this post, I guess I wouldn't be interested.

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by DanF

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Has the feathering issue been fixed? Earlier in this thread feathering was said to be pretty bad, but that was years ago. If it has been fixed, I will include with my pending order.

Also I wonder about the color - the swab and writing sample on your web site look nothing like what appears at the top of this post. I know that when testing inks with dip pens, glass or otherwise, bulletproof inks tend to write very wet, appearing much darker than they would out of a regular fountain pen. Can you post a writing sample from a fountain pen, or give a visual description of the difference. If it looks as pale as the writing as the top of this post, I guess I wouldn't be interested.

Thanks,

Dan

Haven't been able to fully play with it much yet, but will try to do soon. Don't know about the feathering, but it didn't seem too bad on Clairefontaine paper. As for the color, our swab looks pretty dead-on though, so either the formula has changed or the original post isn't color-profiled correctly (or shows differently on good/bad paper), I don't know. To me in person it looks like somewhere between Liberty's Elysium and Polar Blue. I'll ask Brian to do a full ink review soon.

I asked in the other Ganges topic, and it might be better here:

Is this ink likely to generate issues of being "safe to use" as did Bay State Blue? Or is all of that turmoil just nitpicking and magnifying concerns?

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)