• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Onion

• wimg

• amin

• OldGriz

Top Posters In This Topic

Right this moment, I'd get a large piston-fill Etruria with a stub italic nib, maybe this one:

http://www.nexternal.com/swisher/images/Blue_Black_FP_50019.jpg

Pic taken from SwisherPens.com

Or perhaps a Nuda :drool:

If you ask the same question tomorrow, I might give you a different answer. It's regrettably easy to spend one's own $400, but spending someone else's $400? Piece of cake :).

Edited by amin

Depending on how big a pen you like..

I would go with a Pelikan 800 series... or if you like something a bit smaller maybe the Pelikan 625 and still have some money left over for a spare nib and some ink... :D

I'd actually look at the question a little differently, what pen do I want and how long do I have to save until I can have it, as opposed to I have X dolllars and what can I get. The thing with fountain pens is that each one is personal and a refelection of the person owning it. Its like saying what is the best piece of art for $400.00? Its very subjective. With that said, I think if I were in a position to spend $400.00 or less on a pen I think you probably couldn't go wrong with anything from Dani Trio, Nakaya, Sailor, or Omas, (also take a look at Marlen, Bexley, and Conway Stewart they are making some very nice pieces) those were the brands I looked initially. I chose a Dani Trio Mikado in raw ebonite for 4 reasons,

1 -- It was simple and understated

2 -- It was large enough to write with unposted and not cause my hands any pain

3 -- The customer feed back on the vendor, winedoc, was excellent

4 -- The price was right.

In this price range there is going to be little that will dissappoint, rather it will be a question of priorities and aesthetics.

Happy hunting.

tom.

3 -- The customer feed back on the vendor, winedoc, was excellent

is there a link to customer feedback on fountain pens?

What an idea! An ePinions.com for pens?

Hmm... for $400, I think I'd get one of those Bexley Owners Club LE pens:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/sales/bexley/club06_amber.jpghttp://www.richardspens.com/images/sales/bexley/club06_gray.jpg

:drool:

Edit: Resized pictures/linked pictures

Edited by chainwhip

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

is there a link to customer feedback on fountain pens?

There are the reviews sections of this forum. Just be warned that all of our pens and all of our dealers are well above average ;)

Either:

Pelikan m805 with a Binderized Italifine nib

or

Bexley Submariner Grande in Blue Pearl with Binderized Italifine nib

For some reason, there just aren't may pens over the $300 range that appeal to me. I just want to reach the pinnacle of functionality and design and no more - pretty sure either of the above would get me there.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

Another way to go would be one of these new Conway Stewarts... IMHO they are some of the classiest pens out there today... and there are three differenst styles to fit your hand. I wish I had the money for one.... OH WELL.. maybe in time for the DC Show...

http://home.comcast.net/~mvburkeusa/Conway_Stewart/ripple3.jpg

the new pelikan m625, and have enough $ left to buy five-six bottles of ink...:)

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/4550/pem6255eb.jpg

pic from fountainpenhospital.com

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

I'd buy a Pelikan 1000 or a Waterman Edson. As a matter of fact, I just bought a Pelikan 1000 for only $275 plus shipping so you could also buy some other pens along with the Pel.

I'm not sure the $400 will actually cover the Waterman; I haven't really looked around.

Or, you could buy 40 Esties on ebay?

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Conway Stewart 100, piston fill, fine nib, blue stardust color, from Richard Binder.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

A Namiki Vanishing Point, because I hear that they're reliable, with lots and lots of money left over for Clairefontaine notebooks and ink..

Or, you could buy 40 Esties on ebay?

I'm with Andy. You could get a complete set of Js, SJs and LJs and maybe have enough left over for some pastels, Dollar Pens and a fistful of 9xxx nibs.

Sounds like a good way to spend $400 to me.