Mont Blanc Seasons Greetings 2006

declanh

After an extra weeks wait (MB sent the 2007 edition by mistake), I finally got the 2006 edition.

This ink is a deep brown ink that has a cinnamon smell. I love anything cinnamon or cinnamon scented.

This ink, while it does have a cinnamon scent its rather week. I doubt you would be able to detect it from

a Christmas card - unless you tend to write a lot in your cards!

Overall I do like it however. Its fairly well saturated and still exhibits some shading. Drying time I feel is slower than

the 2007 edition but not slow enough to be an issue. No feathering or actual bleedthrough evident although you can see the writing from the other side of

the Rhodia paper.

I kind of bought this for use on Christmas cards but could see me using it as a regular ink.

http://www.hisdancingleg.com/fp/mb_sg2006.jpg

Edited by declanh

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Bo Bo Olson

• declanh

• Ondina

Is a beautiful color and shading, and the scent just adds up tot he writing pleasure. Doesn't come cheap, but is a nice "special", and with the solid good behavior of MB inks.. Thanks for the review.

Very cool handwriting. This must be the one I have. It's is very brown. Smells yummy!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

• 5 years later...

I really lucked out for Holloween 2013, I picked up two of the 3 bottles of MB's Season's Greetings (silver capped) brown 2006 cinnamon at my B&M. There is a cinnamon smell ten minutes after I was done with writing if I put my nose to the paper. I've not the great wine or ink sniffer's nose.

I find it a wet ink.

Looking for the tone and shading of the first post. I'd thought semi-flex would be a bit much...but my MB 234 1/2 Deluxe ('52-55 only) KOB sulked.

The ink was too wet for it, even with a light hand. Wtih that nib a very dark brown with feathering on Clairefontain Veloute 90 g. Emptied back into the bottle. As the nib dried and the ink became ligher it was better.

I have a 'dry writing' Geha 725 F, semi-flex.

With this ink, it is suddenly writing wet. There is feathering/wooly line.

It is a nib if handled real light, has letters with dark shading. If pressed a bit, darker letters with light shading.

If used hamfisted a dark brown with no or very little shading.

The vintage slightly springy Pelikan 120 F nib, has with a light hand has the OP's original tone. Is darker with a bit more pressure.

The shading is different between the vintage pens, each has two 'stages' of pressure that gives different shading, and different shading than the other pen...regular flex F and a dry semi-flex F.

For my eyes the light medium pressure of the semi-flex gives a tad redder and there for richer tone than the same pressure in regular flex.

I like the shading of the light pressure (a bit more on the "redder side", in regular flex a bit more than heavier pressure in the same pen.

IMO the best tone comes out of the slight pressure of the semi-flex a bit more than the lightest pressure.

It will look like two different inks, light pressure regular flex vs medium light pressure (dry) semi-flex.

In the F nibs, the feathering is not apparent until you bring it to eye level or take a magnifying glass to it.

I'm glad I have 2 bottles, and glad I did not hog and get all three...a very good with the right nibs and flexes and paper...a good but not a great ink. Not an ink for B or normal wet semi-flex pens, or wet writers UNLESS, you want a dark brown ink with only a little shading.

It is better than MB Toffee in the nibs and pressures I used. Toffee does not have the range of tone nor range of shading tone.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 months later...

interesting brown color :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Have you ever compared it to Toffee Brown?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Not directly Amber, just from a glance at some old sheet, not a full test like I mentioned above.

Toffee is one of the inks one should have, like Cafe des Ills or Lie de The`.

Toffee is not a wooly line ink. (I don't know now what paper I was using way back then some 4-5 years ago...in Toffee was my 5th ink.)

F was light with dark trails.

M was 50-50 in shading :yikes: , breaking my anti-M prejudice I picked up here on the com.

B was dark with light trails.

Semi-flex was dark because of the wetter nib.

I have to admit I was disappointed in C d'A Grand Canyon; which is not rush out and buy a second bottle before it gets real expensive to me. (Got it right after they stopped making it -_- ....and it was not as expensive as expected from what I read here...of course I am living in Germany and don't got to air mail it across the Pond.)

I have Diamine Chocolate which is very dark and saturated (typical Diamine wooly line). I also have DA Copper Brown, more red than Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown.

MB Collodi I see as a red ink, not a brown one.

Old discontinued MB Sepia is a nice brownish ink. I was lucky to find a bottle last year for only €19 plus postage....add ten more now. (Original cost €12...when I got that instead of Racing Green.(back when it was the most hated ink in the world)...back then 4-5 years ago the advice was buy the bottle and dump any MB ink....all things MB but the bottle were well hated.)

MB Sepia is worth not having a steak dinner. ;)

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_003b.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The MB SG 2005 and 2006 are MUCH different than Toffee Brown. Toffee Brown is a much lighter colour with less shading that borders on orange. The SG 2005/2006 are a deeper, richer, redder colour, with lots of shading and a green sheen.

The MB SG 2005 and 2006 are MUCH different than Toffee Brown. Toffee Brown is a much lighter colour with less shading that borders on orange. The SG 2005/2006 are a deeper, richer, redder colour, with lots of shading and a green sheen.

+2 on that, I see the same thing since 8-9 years, too... (no harm meant....)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Hmm... good to know. Toffee is one of the inks I tried because GeoDuc recommended it. I sort of liked it, then I went back to look at my writings and wow, I really like it. I didn't think of it as an orange, but that may be because I generally like orangish inks. I also however like inks with green sheens! Thank you, all.