LUS Atomica and Aqua Pen: "Fill them with water and will write with ink"

antoniosz

In the old site that Giovanni had on LUS Atomica ( http://www.lusatomica.com/) he described the story of the two pens:

"I still remember the sensation his new pen caused when it was introduced at the Milan Trade Fair in 1959: hailed as a breakthrough in fountain pen design, the new LUS pen was named the "Atomica Magica"! The Magica was a sleek, modern looking syringe filler, sold at a very competitive price of 300 Lire. The unique feature of the Magica (and the reason for its name) was the built-in dispenser of solid ink pellets. The Magica was launched with the slogan "You fill it with water, it writes with ink!" The success of the pen was enormous, but short lived. The ink created by the pellets had a rather muddy appearance and I well remember its pungent smell. After the initial excitement, most users eventually filled the pen with regular ink and kept the "magic" feature for emergency use only. The pen was a competent writer, with the proven LUS hooded nib and plastic feed, millions of which had by then been produced.

Another feature made the Magica a breakthrough pen: the complete filler could be removed from the section (it was threaded) and a cartridge could be used in its place. The Magica was the first cartridge/converter pen to reach the market and its converter looked very similar to the units in use today. It preceded the Parker 45 by a year, confirming, once more, Signor Legnani's inventiveness and the innovation of his designs.

The huge success of the Atomica Magica did not go unnoticed and soon a number of copies began to appear on the market. In the United States, the Empex company introduced the "AquaPen", a nice looking fountain pen that used a simple squeeze-filler (in reality a flexible styrene cartridge) with a thick layer of concentrated solid ink housed in the top portion of the cartridge. Empex launched its AquaPen with the slogan: "Fill with water! Write with ink!"... Signor Legnani never found out about the AquaPen and the American firm's appropriation of his slogan, but his marketing flair and innovative designs had, once again, exercised a profound influence over pen designers around the globe."

In good condition. Steel nibs. The Atomica has the top jewel chipped.

$42 for these two interesting pens. Paypal OK. First class shipping to US included. International - talk to me first.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/AtomicaandAqua-1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/AtomicaandAqua-2.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antoniosz

• thibaulthalpern

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The unique feature of the Magica (and the reason for its name) was the built-in dispenser of solid ink pellets. The Magica was launched with the slogan "You fill it with water, it writes with ink!" The success of the pen was enormous, but short lived. The ink created by the pellets had a rather muddy appearance and I well remember its pungent smell. After the initial excitement, most users eventually filled the pen with regular ink and kept the "magic" feature for emergency use only. The pen was a competent writer, with the proven LUS hooded nib and plastic feed, millions of which had by then been produced.

That is certainly a unique feature, but why would one want to have that feature instead of a fountain pen that fills with regular fountain pen ink?

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

That is certainly a unique feature, but why would one want to have that feature instead of a fountain pen that fills with regular fountain pen ink?

Because people dont carry with them fountain pen ink, while water can be found everywhere.

While cartridges did exist even before that time, they were not widely available.

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files