CS 380 won on Eee-bay

ToasterPastry

I'm relatively new to the world of fountain pens. I have already overpaid for a lot of fountain pens on my favorite electronic auction site? Don't know much about the Conway Stewart. It seemed pretty, so I bought it for $6.95. Can anyone tell me about this pen?

Eeeebay link

<edited to remove dumb-ass question>

post-20881-1224168445_thumb.jpg

Edited by ToasterPastry

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg

• ToasterPastry

• QM2

• vermiculus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulatiosn, actually the 380 doesn't come up that often, plenty of 388s, its very slightly posher brother.

For the money you paid its a bargain (assuming the nib etc is ok) and green marble is very nice, in my opinion. It looks like the hard rubber cap peak has oxidised (not much to be done about this, it can help to 'polish' with T-Cut and then in light domestic oil, can deepen the colour towards black a bit - the section probably survived better) and it would benefit from a good clean up. Presumably a new sac is required.

Let us know how you get on and what its like in use.

Greg

Member of the No.1 Club

So, on that topic what's a 388 worth in good condition? I have one on my "workbench" at the moment, in wonderful condition with a factory fine stub nib, and haven't really got a point of reference, as I have only ever treated CS as eyecandy!

(By the way, if you don't like publicly talking figures, would appreciate a pm for guidance from anyone.)

The best way to find out values is simply to find some on the Dreaded and see how they finish.

Black pens are usually less valued than pretty colours, which in turn are less so than unusual finishes.

A 388 would, I imagine, top out between £20-30, although I would accept others' view on that. I have seen nice examples for more and less.

Greg

Member of the No.1 Club

I have a CS 36, which is a 1950's equivalent of the 380, and I really like this pen. It has a feeling of unity and coherence that is lacking in many other pens. The materials, design, proportions - all excellent. And it writes like a dream, with a full flowing medium line. I use a light ink (PR Daphne) in mine.

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

Update on the Conway Stewart 380 pen...

It arrived from Tel Aviv today.

First the dislikes:

1. Not as fat as a pen as I was hoping for. It's even slimmer than the Parker 51 Demi I have.

2. It needs a new sac. That's another $20.

3. The imprint is not as strong as I would like. But you can clearly see "The Conway Stewart. No. 380"

4. The hard rubber end on the cap has oxidized a bit, but should clean up nicely. I hadn't even noticed it until Greg brought it to my attention. Thanks!

Now the likes:

1. No brassing

2. Plastic is a dark marbled green. There is no discoloration.

1. I dip tested it. OMG it writes amazing well. The 14 carat medium fine-nib as a slight bit of flex. (Writing samples are available by request)

Conclusion:

For $6.95, it is the best pen I have ever purchased. I can't believe how much money I have spent on pens recently (unfortunately, my wife reminds me), only to be disappointed by their performance. Once I get the new sac, this pen will definitely become my daily user. I have noted several antique CS pens available on E-bay in great condition and at reasonable prices. I'm definitely a convert. Thanks for your information.

Edited by ToasterPastry

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

Congratulations on a great buy. I think vintage CS write very well. Today a CS 286 is in my pocket. Be careful CS pens are highly addictive. :roflmho:

" If you judge people, you have no time to love them. There is more hunger in the world for love and appreciation than for bread. "....Mother Teresa

I'm definitely a convert. Thanks for your information.

Always a pleasure! I don't feel too bad about pointing out the oxdisation on the peaked top, I'm sure you would have got to it once it arrived. Of course, it has no influence on its use. However, I won't mention the ...

Get that sac in and get writing!!

Greg

Member of the No.1 Club

• 1 month later...

The pen writes beautify. I wanted to bump this original thread back to the top to properly thank the contributors for their information. I decided to formally post it as a pen review in that section. Lots of pictures.

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!