• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RevAaron

• Discordianist

• georges zaslavsky

• lovemy51

Looks nice but is it an iron gall ink?

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

/me wonders what other inks there are which folks think are iron gall...

For the record, I believe these to be the only iron gall inks in production:

- Diamine Registrar's Ink

- Lamy/Montblanc Blue-Back (only in bottles)

- R&K Scabiosa

- R&K Salix

Thats it- nothing Pelikan makes contains iron gall.

There is some information which suggests that Platinum Blue-Black is partially ferro-gallic, though I'm not entirely convinced.

Just an FYI- I should put it in my .sig, part of the Iron Gall Defense Squad's core message. :P

On point though, I totally agree with the review! I really like Pelikan Black. It isn't anywhere near as dry as Pelikan Blue-Black, and has worked well for me in many pens. The lack of feather is great- I usually use Pelikan Black in the flexy and/or wet vintage pens that will feather with my other fave black (Swisher's Midnight Black), or with almost any other black. And it's dark- in my M250, it's blacker than Aurora Black. But that might be an oddity, not sure.

Aaron

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

I pretty much use this in on all my pens, since I use quite exclusively black (and near blacks) and Pelikan Bright Black simply is the best black I've used with the pens I have. Especially the vintage ones. It's dark enough for me and it gives nice shading in M or B nips (and with flexes). Also it mixes well with other Pelikan inks :) Like nice dark violet color it becomes with a hint of BB and red, or nice dark brown with bright brown and so forth. Amazing variety and still black :)

Yeah, that was one of my favorite features Discordianist- it mixes really well with other inks. Noodler's Black doesn't work well for me in mixing, just futzes up the color in a way I don't expect or like, but the Pelikan Black works dandy. :)

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

• 2 years later...

Actually, I like your penmanship!

"A kingdom for a stage, princes to act,

And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!"

{A} It's true, Pelikan Black is not an iron-gall ink. No Pelikan inks are iron-gall inks.

{B] Pelikan's black isn't bad, but IMO Herbin's Perle Noire and Aurora's Black are both "better" blacks.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thats it- nothing Pelikan makes contains iron gall.

I think I've read a couple of months ago on this forum that Pelikan Blue-Black contains 'a hint' of iron gall (from a customer service reply, iirc) - and even if it doesn't, it's a very nice (and permanent!) ink.

Thanks for posting this review :) Pelikan black is hands down my favorite ink.

That is a nice Black ink which looks dark and will be good for calligraphic purposes.

Which nib is that btw?

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

i had pelikan black at some point and gave it away. mind u, it's the only ink i've ever given away... too dry for me.

other pelikans, like brown, blue, and BB (hopefully w/o the I-Gall!!! :rolleyes:, just kidding ) i can tolerate. actually, i more tahn tolerate their BB. it's one of my favs blue.