Guider Rajan from India

edbollix

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/edbollix/RAJAN005.jpg

First Impressions –I first read about the Guider pens a month or so ago here on FPN. I emailed Steve Braun at www.allwritenow.net and he was very helpful in describing the various offerings from this Indian company. I decided on a large flat-top called the Rajan and in a couple of days I had a package!!! The pen came packed in a PVC tube and a padded mailing envelope. I would deem this packaging indestructible and the pen arrived in perfect condition.

It is my understanding that Steve goes over each pen before shipping and my Rajan worked perfectly out of the package putting down a nice wet fine line; just what I like! Oops, I seem to be jumping ahead.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/edbollix/RAJAN002.jpg

Appearance & Finish –The Rajan is made of Ebonite, a material I assume you are all familiar. I had chosen Green/Black and the appearance of the pen is fantastic. All the machining is very clean and the threads are a pleasure to behold. The pen fits nicely together and the clip has just the right amount of pressure. I would go so far as to say that the pictures do not do this pen justice.

Design/ Size/Weight-This is a large pen! The Rajan measures a little over 6 inches and is an impressive sight. I would call the pan a medium weight and very well balanced un-posted. I usually post my pens but this pen is so beautiful that I find myself holding the cap during use. The Rajan is an eyedropper fill and holds a lot of ink, the exact amount I’m not sure but it seemed to be at least 2ml, maybe more. I’m sure with this much ink the amount in the pen effects the balance but I’m just not that sensitive.

Nib Design & Performance-The Rajan came with a Gold plated steel nib that is a fine point. This is a fine point by American standards and compares with other fines I have from Esterbrook, Parker and the like. I filled the pen by the prescribed method and it immediately put down a fine, wet line. I write in my planner with this large pen with no problem. It is VERY smooth, buttery smooth. I wrote about 4 pages in a journal last night just for the joy of writing with this fine pen. Steve will install a fine/italic nib for an additional fee and I have another model that I chose that option for; but that is another review.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/edbollix/RAJAN006.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/edbollix/RAJAN009.jpg

Steve's handwriting and ink. Actually all photos courtesy of Steve Braun (I have poor photographic skills)

The Filling System- The Rajan and all of the Guider pens offered are eye dropper fill (I think). The Rajan arrived with the section threads greased and ready to fill. I used a syringe to fill the pen and was writing in moments. If you do not have an eyedropper pen don’t be afraid of this one. Everything fits together perfectly and there is no leakage at all so far; I have no reason to suspect that this will change with time. The pen holds a LOT of ink compared to other methods and I expect to be writing for weeks before I have to fill it again. I chose Private Reserve Sherwood Green on a whim to match the color of the pen.

6. Cost/Value- I believe I paid $38.00 for this pen delivered and I consider this money well spent. The Rajan has the look and feel of the pens of yester year and the quality and function compares to much more expensive pens. I would suggest acting quickly if you plan to get one before the world discovers these fine writing instruments and the price rises accordingly :rolleyes:; Steve had been most helpful in advising me in my choices of both pens and nibs and is basically a very knowledgeable fellow and a pleasure to do business with. His website is www.allwritenow.net . Though the website lacks a bit at this time you can be sure that your questions will be answered if you email Steve.

7. Overall Opinion/Conclusion- I am completely satisfied and thrilled at discovering the Guider pens. I own two at the moment and definitely plan to expand my collection as they offer quite a variety of pens. I realize this review sounds like I own the company or something but I seldom find a product in today’s market that fulfills my expectations; rather exceeds my expectations as did this Guider pen.

Thank you for your time and I hope you find this review helpful.

Edited by edbollix

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• edbollix

• georges zaslavsky

• Brian

• loweevan

I was unaware of all the controversy surrounding the Guider pens when I submitted this review. All I can say is that I have no affiliation with any of the party's involved and Steve has been nothing but an expert and a gentleman to me.

--

Ed

Looks like a beautiful pen. I might order some from them too. I have fond memories of fountain pens back from when I was in India. I remember a lot of designs similar to the 51.

A merciful heart is the greatest of all possessions.

• 7 months later...
I was unaware of all the controversy surrounding the Guider pens when I submitted this review. All I can say is that I have no affiliation with any of the party's involved and Steve has been nothing but an expert and a gentleman to me.

--

Ed

Sorry to revive an old post with no real reason that pertains to the pen review, but what controversy was there surrounding Guider pens?

- Evan

looks nice :) enjoy your pen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

That is an impressive looking pen. I like the ripple pattern in green and brown as it appears on my screen. I am wondering about the section. Can you confirm that it is plastic or if it is ebonite too?

Thanks