Parker Quink Black

Djehuty

Parker Quink Black

Ink #2 in my series of reviews and tests of all the black inks I can find. I'm a bit tardy in reviewing this, a result of having too much stuff to do piling up all over the place. Hopefully I'll get through enough ink samples in the next week that I can justify pestering James at Pear Tree Pens for another round. :)

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6185/blackink02id0.png

Quink. I love the name. I had to try this ink next. But dear me, this is not what I'd call a good black ink. The first thing I noticed was that it isn't really black, it's more of a very dark grey. It's thin (in color) enough to be somewhat translucent. There's definite shading, which I don't consider a good attribute in a black ink, though opinions may of course differ on the subject. A black ink, to me, should be black; leave shading to the colors or the greys.

Parker Quink Black doesn't dry particularly quickly, either. It smeared on every test up to the 15-second delay, which would make it difficult to use for note-taking or any other situation in which pages might have to be turned quickly. It may not be obvious from this scan, but in the three colored-in squares (hatching, colored and blotted, colored and left to dry), the middle square, which was blotted, is noticeably paler than the one left to dry. The ink isn't at all waterproof, but sufficient traces to be legible were left behind when the dried ink was wiped with warm water. The ink flows reasonably well, but it didn't strike me as particularly wet or dry.

The Verdict: No thanks. I see no reason to recommend Parker Quink Black. It isn't a bad ink, but neither is it good. Slightly translucent not-quite black color, slow drying times, poor water resistance: it doesn't excel in any area.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Djehuty

• wvbeetlebug

• RayMan

• penpimperLV

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always heard such good things about Quink, but it's always nice to read a second opinion. I'm trying to find a nice black ink I can use on a regular basis for everyday use. Thank you for your review.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b583/vegaspensgifts/19f22284-1711-4350-b09e-ba21c43a4efc_zpsa67fd5ae.jpg

"Business and pleasure in equal measure"

Vegas Fine Pens and Gifts

Like Vegas Fine Pens and Gifts on FB

Follow Vegas Fine Pens and Gifts on Twitter

Thanks for the review. I also like your format.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

thanx for sharing your thoughts on quink, Djehuty.

i do like this ink. it is not the blackest thing (it has a bluish tone), but i find the flow to be good. i don't know of a pen that doesn't work well with this ink. it is specially good in my vintage parkers.

do you think the slow drying time is due to the paper??? i don't use rhodia...!!!

Edited by lovemy51

I can attest to those qualities as well. The thing I like about it in dry pens that it has a very good flow. Of course, it makes my Waterman Phileas M gush, but my Sailor Pro Gear is not as dry as it seems with other inks. Takes its time to dry, on all kinds of regular paper. Can blot on recycled notebook paper.

I have it because my local Staples carries it. Sometimes convenience trumps performance I suppose....

Custom 823, VPs, Lamy 2000, TWSBI VAC700, Kaweco Liliput (bronze), Retro 51s

Iroshizuku

Blackwing Pearl, Kuru-Toga

Midori, Seven Seas, anything Tomoe River

I have it because my local Staples carries it. Sometimes convenience trumps performance I suppose....

I never listen to the complaints about QB anymore. It works for me and it is available locally, so I use it. I also use it to darken other inks that are not dark enough for my use. The only reason I don't buy it frequently is that it is not made in American anymore and we have this suicidal Balance of Payments problem. Therefore, when I have time to mail order, I usually stock up on Noodlers & PR.

YMMV