• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RevAaron

• Titivillus

• PointyThings

• MYU

I would think that something that shows off the innards (a piston), which are somewhat more complicated than the pen looks now, would go against the simple yet elegant design aspect of the pen.

Not to say that it would not look cool. Personally, I would not use one, but that is beside the point becuase I do not like demonstrators in general. At least not clear ones.

-Nkk

Edit becuase I seemed to repeat the same words twice.

Edited by nkk

I know of both Lamy 27 and 80 demonstrators. A 27 demo is pretty much my grail pen, and I just manged to get something pretty darn close- a Lamy 80 demo. The best part IMHO is that unlike most modern transparent and translucent pens is that this is a true demonstrator- for example there's still an inner cap, and it's ugly as sin... but gorgeous for us demo-nerds.

Only problem with mine is that the piston is stiff, most likely because that kind of plastic is always so unrelenting and squeky against rubber. Until I can find out some more info, I'm using it as an ED to be safe. :/ The nib is really flexible, which is not common for the more modern Lamys, but even the vintage Lamys I have are pretty firm.

If a 2000 demo exists... That'd be 2nd place behind the 27 for me in grailish pens. :)

Here are some photos:

http://easthillside.org/images/fpn/lamy80/lamy80-1.jpg

http://easthillside.org/images/fpn/lamy80/lamy80-2.jpg

http://easthillside.org/images/fpn/lamy80/lamy80-3.jpg

Just got it in the mail yesterday, and I'm loving it. I apologize if I hijacking your thread, but to me it seems related. This pen has the same internal design the 27 and 2000, so it might be as close as we'll get for the time being...

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Wow, look at that striking oblique broad nib on that pen. Nice! It's curious--the Lamy 80 looks like the precursor to the standard nib that Lamy has employed on the Safari and Vista line (and possibly others).

But yes, I'd love to have a L2K demonstrator. Maybe that will be the 50th anniversary version they will (hopefully) make for 2016? :D I have seen a Lamy 27 demonstrator on a website somewhere, and then lost track of it (and didn't keep a copy of the image--doh!). I sure wish I could find one. The 27 30 looks like a great candidate for a demonstrator version.

I had to settle on a fully rolled gold Lamy 27. Darn. ;)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Lamy/27/Lamy27_gold-uncapped-profile.jpg

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Oh, you poor thing! What nib came in that rolled gold 27? Looks wide.

The photo of the 27 can be found here: http://penhome.co.uk/images/3519.jpg and I found it at penhome.co.uk's sold pens archive page at < http://penhome.co.uk/Archive/Onoto_Archive.htm >. Utterly droolish, especially as it is the kind of 27 I prefer- screw cap, cigar shape.

Yeah, the nib on the 80 looks like the nib on the Safari- except, it isn't a slide on. On this demo, it's really cool to look at- it's one of those pseudo-inlaid nibs, like that on the Montblanc 121, though more inlaid-ish than that. Not sure how you'd take it off, maybe you can't. It has a gold nib, and while it looks beefy like the newer steel nibs, when it touches paper it wilts, it yields to the point that you wonder if you're using a nib made out of aluminium foil. It doesn't flex really wide, but maybe double its already wide unflex line width.

I've been wondering a lot why flexible obliques are so popular on vintage German pens, and this guy made me understand. And contrary to what folks say today, it isn't just to accomodate folks who turn their pens- as someone who does turn their pen, I found non-obliques to accomodate it a lot better. But! It's a lot easier to control flex, it comes naturally and with little thought, and you can flex in your side strokes. This 80 makes my chickenscratchish writing look pretty snazzy. :)

I saw a vintage 2K demonstrator on eBay about 5 or 6 (or more) years back. They do exist, but obviously hard to find.

--Karl

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

100% dedicated to making deals better for everyone! And it's FREE!

I would think that something that shows off the innards (a piston), which are somewhat more complicated than the pen looks now, would go against the simple yet elegant design aspect of the pen.

Not to say that it would not look cool. Personally, I would not use one, but that is beside the point becuase I do not like demonstrators in general. At least not clear ones.

-Nkk

Edit becuase I seemed to repeat the same words twice.

To me, demonstrator pens look kinda cheap. Isn't it usually made of some clear plastic or acrylic. To me, those materials evoke cheap, usually.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

Oh, you poor thing! What nib came in that rolled gold 27? Looks wide.

It's actually an oblique medium. The great thing is that the nib size is not imprinted on the body, so the nib can be easily interchanged without leaving a size label mismatch. The only drawback is that this is 27n size, so 27m nibs won't fit. :(

Thanks for those 27 demonstrator photos. I can see why I missed them, as '27' is not mentioned and searching for just +Lamy +Demonstrator produces a ton of results to weed through.

Karl, are you positive it was an L2K demonstrator? I've chatted with a number of Lamy 2000 afficionados (who have access to German published materials on the 2000) and they say that they've not seen anything about the existence of them.

To me, demonstrator pens look kinda cheap. Isn't it usually made of some clear plastic or acrylic. To me, those materials evoke cheap, usually.

I used to think of it the same way, until I got a Lamy Vista. They are very well made. I do have some Rotring demonstrators as well that are well made, but they are stylographs (see below). There is also a MYU demonstrator and I managed to get one recently. Although well made, it is extremely light, making it feel like it should not carry a high price tag (but it did command some serious $$, relatively speaking).

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Tintenkuli/Tintenkuli_other-kuli_1a.jpg

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I saw a vintage 2K demonstrator on eBay about 5 or 6 (or more) years back. They do exist, but obviously hard to find.

--Karl

Not that I doubt you, but I'd like to see a photo.

Someone claiming to have a 2000 Demo for sale and actually having one for sale is another.

Don't think there is a demo out there although it would be nice to see the expanding piston work.

I don't think the 2000 has any sort of special piston- it isn't really much different in design than a Pelikan piston. Maybe you're thinking of the telescoping piston in some vintage Montblancs?

A well-made demo doesn't feel particularily cheap. I do have a cheap feeling demo piston filler (the $10 Dollar Pen), but it is cheap and writes well, so I don't mind. The plastics used to make my M250 amber or Lamy 80 Demo is much more sturdy feeling, especially on the M250. I'm pretty sure that the Lamy 80 demo was a true demonstrator, as in a pen used to sell pens, and it wasn't built to be a daily beater- the plastic feels a little cheaper than the made-for-a-consumer Pelikan M250. The plastic on my M250 feels no less quality than that of the other modern Pelikans I've used or handled.

That said, I'm not one to equate weight with price, if I did, I wouldn't love the demos. Vulgar standards of beauty aren't what makes these sort of pens sought-after- for those of us who find them appealing, they're pretty awesome. I'd rather have a true demo like this Lamy 80 than something like the modern Pelikan translucent/transparent pens- it shows me the insides of a pen, even when those insides aren't pretty, clean, or shiny. The inner cap has bits of ink trapped under it, and while that'd drive an OCDer nuts, I really like it- it's reality, rather than something engineered towards presentation alone.

Aaron

Don't think there is a demo out there although it would be nice to see the expanding piston work.

I don't think the 2000 has any sort of special piston- it isn't really much different in design than a Pelikan piston. Maybe you're thinking of the telescoping piston in some vintage Montblancs?

Maybe that's it, I get comfused with the German pen companies.

K

Karl, are you positive it was an L2K demonstrator? I've chatted with a number of Lamy 2000 afficionados (who have access to German published materials on the 2000) and they say that they've not seen anything about the existence of them.

Positive about the 2K demonstrator. I was collecting vintage Lamy before Europe converted to the Euro (got a lot of bargains from Germany in DM). The auction contained photos and it was definitely a 2K, not an 80 series pen. I don't remember what it sold for, but it was out of my price range at the time.

--Karl

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

100% dedicated to making deals better for everyone! And it's FREE!

SO it sounds like this was a real demonstrator- a sales tool used to show the pen rather than a regular or pecial edition made for sales to the market.

Kurt

Cool,

So there would be 4 Lamy demo out there

The Safari demo (not the vista)

The 27

The 80

and the 2000

This quest never ends...

nick

edited because I don't know how to count

Edited by menick

For sale: nothing!

Looking for: money!

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

• 1 year later...

Let's revive this one... Talked to someone at the Bristol pen show this last Weekend who said he had one... Did anyone find any pictures in the mean time.

Oh, and a 99 demonstrator also exists, there is currently one for sale on penboard.de but it has a cracked cap...

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?