Pen Review : ST Dupont Olympio, LE, Fuente Fuente Opus X

Usui

ST Dupont Olympio, LE, Fuente Fuente Opus X, 40/400

18 k gold medium nib, authentic Chinese lacquer, heavy gold plating

I’m so excited about this pen, that I had to give a review!

The story: Random gift of kindness from a member on this forum. Apparently he had some issues with this pen, a non-cooperative vendor and with breaking it and sending it for an expensive servicing and not getting what he wanted, he didn’t like it any more. I guess he figured I would appreciate it more than he, that I might be able to fix it , so he gifted it to me. Hurray random acts of kindness. I hope I can continue to return the favor of random acts of kindness. I hope he does not mind me writing this review.

1.) Packaging 3/5: The packaging seems cheap for an expensive pen. It came in a white card board box, and a matte-black case with a silver Fuente Fuente Opus X insignia. The inside has this velvety purple material that is over plastic. The packaging betrays the cost of the pen for sure.

2. Appearance & Finish: 5/5. This is an exquisite looking pen. The lacquer is amazingly smooth, and it has a solid cold feel to it, that sucks the heat from your hands. The red is very bright, and the white is creamy pure white, not a bluish tint at all. The gold is a bright yellow, and the two tone nib has a mirror like finish on the white part.

3. Design/ Size/Weight: 4/5. This pen is HEAVY. Not what I was expecting at all. But if I let it rest lightly in my hand while it’s posted, it seems balanced enough to just push it with my arm, and it writes beautifully with just it’s momentum that I don’t use my hand at all. I’m getting used to it. The nib is 18k gold, plated in rhodium. It’s size capped is a bit longer than a M215, but posted it is a bit shorter. See my pics for comparison.. The base screws off with amazing precision, that honestly was where I felt I was holding a very special pen for the first time. I don’t like the section, as it feels slippery being gold, but I’m getting used to it. It does have a little hood thing that sticks out from the base… kind of a nice touch in my opinion. The clip is spring-loaded which gives it a bit of gee-whiz to it.

4. Nib Design & Performance: 4/5. This nib is smooth on paper even without ink. With ink it just gets better in terms of feel in the hand. In terms of size, it dwarfs the Pelikan M215 nib. However it is not as “silent” as the Pelikan, and makes a slight scratching squeaking noise when it flows over the paper, but I can’t feel it in the hand. I love the two tone look, and the engravings on the nib, and the way it hugs around the feed, makes the pen look like it could sign the magna carta. The previous owner was having some problems with the nib, saying it didn’t write well and it dropped a blob of ink. With a little cleaning and flexing of the very stiff nib, as well as some slippery Purple mojo, it seemed to start flowing quite nicely. When I first used the ink it came with, Pelikan 4001 brilliant green, it had a tendency to suck the ink back up when I lifted the nib, and would have trouble re-starting. I don’t have that effect with the PR and Noodler inks though. What I like about the nib is that it is a constant flower upside-down, and it leaves a spider web thin line that actually has some line variation/italic thing going on. Right side up, it leaves a very think line. If this is medium, then broad would be like a small paint brush! All that being said, it might be in need of tuning by a nib-meister… but it is working fine enough for me for the moment.

5. The Filling System: 4/5. Standard converter/cartridge system. I wish the converter had a more solid feel when engaged to the feed. But since the feed is so eager now, and the converter hasn’t misbehaved at all yet, no starvation, no leaking or coming loose, I think it works fine. I actually like converters, as I can fill them apart from the nib, keeping the nib clean.

6. Cost/Value: 3/5. I really don’t understand why pens can be this expensive. But since I received this as a gift, I’m going to enjoy it. Right now I use this more than my M215, and it’s going to and fro work with me. I love this pen, and I’m going to make it my work horse. I’m so grateful to the person that gave this to me.

7. Overall Opinion/Conclusion: 5/5. This is now my favorite pen of my small collection (Pelikan M215 and two Lamy Safaris) Hope the pics speak for themselves.

Thanks for reading

Warning: This is my wife's camera that I haven't read how it works yet, I've never tried taking pictures like this before, and I don't know all the options on the camera... i hope the pictures are still enjoyable. Tips to make them better appreciated. It is from a Canon PowerShot A610.

Second Warning: I don't claim to have pretty hand writing... not yet. Hopefully I'll get a time for purposeful practice to improve.

Nib Close up

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/wannamoto/IMG_2195.jpg

Cap Close up

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/wannamoto/IMG_2203.jpg

Side by side with the Pelikan M215 capped

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/wannamoto/IMG_2204.jpg

Side by side with the Pelikan M215 posted

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/wannamoto/IMG_2205.jpg

Some writing examples comparing it with the Pelikan M215 Fine using FPN Galileo Brown. The blue black is my ink of choice in this pen right now, it is Noodler’s Blue Black.

The writing example is in memory of a friend that recently died of cancer. She was a saint of a woman. This is her favorite passage in the bible, and the bottom quote is from an old hymn, and it is what she has written on her grave stone.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/wannamoto/IMG_2207.jpg

Edited by Usui

Luke 13:1-9 saved my life.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Usui

• feiye

• Shalori

• Moravia

Top Posters In This Topic

Usui.

Thanks very much for the review. I love ST Duponts!

Regards,

Neil

Thanks... someone finally replied!!

I have the feeling I'm going to re-write this review and whole sale edit out the original, as after further thought (and writing with the pen) I feel it's not in the tenor that I would like it to be, nor is it complete fair to the pen. After my review, and changing the ink colors 5 or so times, flushing it with soapy water and going at it's innards with Q-tips and lightly blowing through the nib... this misbehaving pen is totally a joy to write with now.

I echo what I someone else on this site said, "S.T. Duponts are underated and under represented on this site."

Usui.

I couldn't agree more, definitely underrated, under represented and under appreciated but there are a couple of Dupont fans on the site.

I have a couple of them but my favorite is my Extra Large Black Chinese Lacquer Olympio with an extra fine (EF) nib. It is a bit insane but I often copy passages from books just for the sheer joy of writing with it.

I was planning on doing a review myself to compare the Large and Extra Large Olympio and to give a couple examples of the nibs available. Lots of people do not realize that they are available in nib widths from EF to B with Stubs and Obliques as well.

Anyway, hope to see you revised review soon.

Regards,

Neil

I agree with both Usui and Neil - Duponts are so underrated. I wish more people could try one so they can realise what wonderful pens they are. A Dupont was the first pen I ever fell in love with because of their spectacular nibs and writing experience. Their Orpheo shape is classic and won't ever get old. Here are mine:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/duponts.jpg

All that aside, lovely pictures and an excellent review, I've been waiting for someone to do a review on a Dupont for a while now. :)

Edited by feiye

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

After a lot more flushing, and a mistaken drop of the nib into the kitchen sink that seemed to jar something... it's a smooth wet writer now! I would give the nib a 4.5/5 now.

In terms of value... reading more about these expensive pens, and holding some at the store, I do think that S.T. Duponts hold their candle for their feeling of worth compared to similarily priced pens. I just personally wouldn't buy a pen that expensive (or not yet at least). So I think I would raise the value to 3.5/5 now. It would be higher if it came with better packaging and maybe some cool Fuente Fuente trinkets or stories to go along with the LE, but it doesn't, so it leaves something to be desired.

But in terms of uniqueness... I love having this bright white and red pen. The white cap looks very classy coming out of a jacket pocket or shirt, and the red is very pleasent on the eyes. It also seems quite resistant to scratches, as I see no scratches at all on the body or cap yet.

I totally love writing with this thing now. But since the line that it leaves is so thick, it almost begs for wide ruled paper. Also, it leaves a line too wet for those cheapy mead spiral bounds, as it bleeds through a little now. My Five star and Cambridge Comp notebooks do fine with it.

I agree with both Usui and Neil - Duponts are so underrated. I wish more people could try one so they can realise what wonderful pens they are. A Dupont was the first pen I ever fell in love with because of their spectacular nibs and writing experience. Their Orpheo shape is classic and won't ever get old. Here are mine:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/duponts.jpg

All that aside, lovely pictures and an excellent review, I've been waiting for someone to do a review on a Dupont for a while now. :)

Feiye, I absolutely love your Duponts. Are they all fountain pens? From your photo they appear as though they are long and slim (something I really like in fountain pens). What are the names of Duponts in your photo? I have never seen these Duponts before.

Thanks,

Moravia

Want to Buy:

Vintage filigree overlay FPs

Feiye, I absolutely love your Duponts. Are they all fountain pens? From your photo they appear as though they are long and slim (something I really like in fountain pens). What are the names of Duponts in your photo? I have never seen these Duponts before.

Thanks,

Moravia

Moravia,

All Dupont Olympio/Orpheo series come in the same sizes. The XL is the one reviewed but the Large version is long and slim and my preference. The D-Link series are short (about 130mm) but the same in diameter as the Large Orpheo. The other slim one is a Fidelio which is discontinued and has been replaced with the Orpheo Medium/Contemporary (confusing much?)

In the photo from L-R is the Nocturne Orpheo L (my favourite pen, the faceted trim is beautiful, now discontinued), Shaman Orpheo XL LE, Shaman D-Link LE, Caprice Mother of Pearl (also a D-Link pen, this is a regular range and easily available) and Fidelio iridescent purple lacquer (long discontinued but lots of fun as the lacquer changes colour under different lights). All are fountain pens.

In rotation:

I have a couple of them but my favorite is my Extra Large Black Chinese Lacquer Olympio with an extra fine (EF) nib. It is a bit insane but I often copy passages from books just for the sheer joy of writing with it.

Not insane... I'm making notes I don't need to make right now, just because it's fun to write with. I go through about 5 pages or more a day, and this one pen has taken most of that duty now :)

Thanks,

Moravia

Moravia,

All Dupont Olympio/Orpheo series come in the same sizes. The XL is the one reviewed but the Large version is long and slim and my preference. The D-Link series are short (about 130mm) but the same in diameter as the Large Orpheo. The other slim one is a Fidelio which is discontinued and has been replaced with the Orpheo Medium/Contemporary (confusing much?)

In the photo from L-R is the Nocturne Orpheo L (my favourite pen, the faceted trim is beautiful, now discontinued), Shaman Orpheo XL LE, Shaman D-Link LE, Caprice Mother of Pearl (also a D-Link pen, this is a regular range and easily available) and Fidelio iridescent purple lacquer (long discontinued but lots of fun as the lacquer changes colour under different lights). All are fountain pens.

Thanks for your reply Feiye. It figures that the first time I come across these Duponts, I am already too late since most of them are discontinued!

What is the difference between the XL and L sizes exactly? From your photo it appears as if the Nocturne Orpheo L and the Shaman Orpheo XL LE are the same width with the Shaman XL being a little longer. Is it length only that is the difference?

Also, what is the black fountain pen at the very left (that is halfway cut out of the photo)?

Want to Buy:

Vintage filigree overlay FPs

All Dupont Olympio/Orpheo series come in the same sizes.

That's the one thing that keeps me from loving Duponts more in that their standard and even large pens are not quite large enough to be comfortable in my hand. Add to that they are on the higher side of pricing compared to other companies and it might just be an unlucky combination.

Kurt

Feiye.

Love those Shamans but have you seen the new Black Mother-of-Pearl yet? I have only seen pictures and have yet to see it in person. I am hoping someone who has seen it can tell me what they think.

Regards,

Neil

Thanks for your reply Feiye. It figures that the first time I come across these Duponts, I am already too late since most of them are discontinued!

What is the difference between the XL and L sizes exactly? From your photo it appears as if the Nocturne Orpheo L and the Shaman Orpheo XL LE are the same width with the Shaman XL being a little longer. Is it length only that is the difference?

Also, what is the black fountain pen at the very left (that is halfway cut out of the photo)?

The Orpheo L is shorter and a fair bit slimmer, it fits better in my hand than the XL Orpheo (but the Shaman was too pretty to say no to even though now that I've got it...it doesn't see any use *sigh*).

The pen that's been cut out is the Montegrappa NeroUno, another wonderful pen (resin with platinum trim) due to its faceted shape and really interesting inlaid nib. Very much a man's pen though, I love the way it writes but I can't justify owning one, the one in the photo is my boyfriend's (it's "on loan" to me :P)

Feiye.

Love those Shamans but have you seen the new Black Mother-of-Pearl yet? I have only seen pictures and have yet to see it in person. I am hoping someone who has seen it can tell me what they think.

Regards,

Neil

I almost purchased the new black Mother of Pearl (it's the mother of pearl that gets me every time) but it only comes in the XL size which means I'd buy it and put it on display and not use it. The mother of pearl is very unique, I like how it's inlaid and the colour is spectacular. The cap leaves much to be desired though, I think it's too boring and I would've preferred a lacquered cap (in some nice gunmetal colour or something) rather than the palladium. I think the palladium just pushes it into the "too bright, too shiny" category just a bit. Oh and it's very heavy when capped.

Urgh but that mother of pearl... :cloud9:

In rotation:

• 3 months later...

Damn,

How lucky can someone get... gifted a Dupont. Oh my God what amazing karma you must have accumulated. If only someone could send me one. I have one already (Medium - Black/Gold Orpheo) but would simply love another of any description (maybe with an F nib this time).

As for Feiye with a cupboard full of these masterpieces - well that's just so greedy :rolleyes:8- ).

What do people think of the difference between L & XL by the way? - to write with that is. Does one need gorilla hands for the XL?

Respect to all Dupont users.

MD