Sheaffer Targa

DRP

One forum recently posed the question: if you could have one pen -- only one pen -- what would it be?

That started me thinking. What pen would be good enough to last me the rest of my life?

I reached the conclusion that a pen I've been carrying for a quarter century would be my choice. A Sheaffer Targa.

Any pen deserving that kind of commendation deserves a good review

Sheaffer made dozens of different models during the years it was produced: mid-1970s into the 1990s. There were brass ones, silver ones, gold ones, lacquer ones, and pens in numerous colors with a variety of finishes.

There were also big ones and thin ones. Most were full sized pens but the slim Targas were every bit as good as the full sized models.

My Sheaffer Targa is a full sized pen. It's one of the gold plated models (or "gold filled"). I'm not going to show a photo because it would reveal various dents, nicks, and wear appropriate to a pen which has undergone years of heavy use.

Yet, the heavy use reveals the Targa's most appealing attribute: it's durable. I use it everywhere and for everything -- almost everything, anyway. It stays in my pocket or clipped to a sweatshirt.

The Sheaffer Targa is an exercise in understated elegance. In a business meeting, it quietly tells all that its user is serious. It goes with me to the hardware store when I'm wearing torn jeans and an old sweatshirt. Nothing quite like signing a check with a gold fountain pen. I can't count the number of store clerks who have commented on my pen ("Can I see that? Way cool!")

And, durability. Did I mention durability? I keep my Sheaffer Targa with me almost all the time. One time I was up on a ladder and needed to mark some drywall board. Did I have a pencil with me? No. A Bic? No. I had my gold Sheaffer so I marked the drywall with it.

Is a gold fountain pen damaged by marking drywall? Maybe. Maybe not. Sheaffer's iridium point is tough. My gold Sheaffer seemed to call out, "I can mark drywall or anything else you can bring on. Try me!"

I'm not looking for tests but my gold Sheaffer Targa doesn't run away from a challenge, either.

Sheaffer Targas were made in Fort Madison, Iowa by farm people. Some of them make pens by day and go home to their farms at night. Farmers understand functionality. That's just the way it is on the great plains of America.

The trains go right by Sheaffer's plant in Fort Madison. Amtrak's remnants of the legendary Santa Fe Super Chief still slip by before taking the curve to cross the Mississippi River on the longest swing span bridge in the world.

Kathy & I rode the train recently to Chicago to have dinner at the Berghoff before it closes. Rode right by the Sheaffer plant. Just a few cars in the lot in the daylight. At night, the neon sign on the roof with the white dot above the name is dark. Building doesn't look like they put too much money into maintenance, either.

Before long, Sheaffer's quality will be like the superlative service aboard the Super Chief. Just a memory.

On the Super Chief, service was unequaled. Silver finger bowls were served after each meal and after every fruit course. Remember that. There may be a quiz at the end of this review.

Sheaffer Targas were hard to beat, as well. Targas had nice, smooth, gold nibs. You could write your postcards in the Super Chief's Turquoise Room with a Sheaffer Targa and feel like the world was in proper balance. I did.

You can still get a Sheaffer Targa while they are still out there. Some stores still have them. I just bought two from a book store that closed when the owner decided to retire. The bid places like Ebay have them, too, and for prices which are quite reasonable.

Think like a midwesterner. Value for the price. Then use a Sheaffer Targa every day. It's a joy.

A joy? Why, you ask?

Quality.

Sheaffer Targa pens are made of brass. Nibs are mostly gold. The nice, inlaid gold nibs that Sheaffer made in abundance. Lots of variety still available. Fine, medium, bold, stub, you name it. Some Sheaffer Targa probably had anything you could think of on some model or another.

The balance of a Sheaffer Targa is wonderful. I like mine posted. Nice balance.

The nibs? Delicious. I'm handling my pen as I write this. Smooth.

Nibs? A bit of flexibility. Not too soft; not too hard.

I've tried different inks with different pens and different nibs. The pen which consistently writes flawlessly with any ink is my Sheaffer Targa. Not too much ink. Not too little. Good flow. Steady.

The slim Targa is a remarkably light pen considering that it is made of brass. Not a lot of ink capacity, however. The slim cartridges are no longer made. Sheaffer's converter for the slim Targas holds a fair amount of ink, however.

The full sized Targa can either use Sheaffer's ubiquitous cartridges or almost any converter Sheaffer ever made (almost; remember that: almost, but not every). Sheaffer's converters for the Targa holds plenty of ink. Capacity isn't great compared to some of the piston-fillers that other manufacturers produce but then again, them other pens ain't got no converter, either.

I sort of like having a converter. If I run out of ink while traveling, I just keep a couple of cartridges with me. Pull the converter out. Stick a cartridge in.

The Sheaffer Targa thus represents a wonderful compromise. Perhaps other pens write with a more smooth nib or a more flexible nib. But, try marking drywall with them.

The Sheaffer Targa doesn't have as much ink capacity as some other pens. But, what happens if you run out of ink while you're on the road?

The Sheaffer Targa is a bit heavy or a bit thick for some users, but then again, there is a slim Targa to match your liking.

I have other pens to write Christmas cards but I wouldn't take them to work.

I have other pens to go with me to business meetings but I wouldn't take them with me to the hardware store.

The Sheaffer Targa isn't the perfect pen, but then again, what is?

The Sheaffer Targa is my idea for a great overall pen -- that does it all. And, does it all quite well.

Get one while you can. I did and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Okay, I mentioned a quiz. Here it is:

1) You've ordered a baked apple with cream as one of your breakfast selections aboard the Super Chief. Should you expect a silver finger bowl to be presented when you finish?

2) Your Sheaffer Targa needs ink and you've not finished writing post cards while riding the Super Chief past Sheaffer's plant. Where is the plant? What color of ink should you use? Must you use a bottle or can you use a cartridge? How can you clean your pen if you've been using a different color?

3) Can I still buy a Sheaffer Targa?

Answers:

1) Of course a silver finger bowl is served! Although a baked apple is a fruit, you would not expect to be presented with a finger bowl for a course ordinarily eaten with a spoon and not requiring fingers to be used. However, because your baked apple is the last course at breakfast, a finger bowl will always be offered.

2) Sheaffer's plant is in Fort Madison, where W. A. Sheaffer had his jewelry store. The plant faces the mighty Mississippi River, right above the Santa Fe tracks. Your ink selection? Turquoise ink, in honor of the Super Chief's private dining room, the Turquoise Room. A Sheaffer Targa can accept either bottled ink in the converter or in a cartridge. You can clean your pen in the washstand which is located in each Pullman room of the Super Chief.

3) Not only can you buy a Sheaffer Targa but you should! American made quality and elegance are rapidly disappearing. Get one while you can. You will not be disappointed.

David

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRP

• Maja

• joseanes

• zellan13

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, let me make sure I understand you...

on balance....

Targa is sort of OK..ish... :D :D :lol:

Chris (currently devoid of Targa but a Sheaffer'ite all the same)

Interesting review!!! I am not a big fan og Targas but on the other hand, my Dad is a Targa and Sheaffer freak!!! He must have about 12 to 14 Targas in his collection. All different colors sizes and finishes, he swears up and down by them!! I do have to admit that some of his targas are something that I would consider buying further down the road!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Noble Savage --

I understand why your father is a Targa freak.

The longer you own one, the more you appreciate its qualities. The ultimate compliment.

David

Thanks. A great review. I too am currently without a Targa. I sent to it someone to fix a leaky nib and have yet to see it again. (See Keith with Capital K in Chatter).

I bought a few when they came out - partial to the Brushed Chrome. Unfortunately they were pilfered from my desk 20 years ago. You've made me nostalgic.

Parker seems to get the raves but I've found even as a kid when Sheaffers were more affordable than Parkers (still are), that the Sheaffer always had the better writing nib, something I find today. Even my Preludes write nicer than my non 18kt Sonnet nibs. I've never had a problem with Sheaffer nibs.

Thanks again for the review. Well written. Although I'm in Canada, Sheaffer once upon a time had a factory in Toronto and turned out the same high quality as in the US.

Regards

Rowdy

I too love Targas. I have over 40 different models of the 60 plus made. Some of the more interesting ones were made here in the UK.

My favourites are the feather pattern in the slim and the diamond ('medici') in the full size - both are brass with black patterns.

I use a syringe to refill slim cartridges rather than use a converter. They hold quite a lot of ink, easy to check how much left and there is no restriction on make or ink colour.

Have you seen the article by Andreas Lambrou?

http://www.stylophilesonline.com/archive/jan03/01tar.htm

I keep mine displayed on my office wall in my home.

Regards

Peter

post-34-1139864657_thumb.jpg

You know, I have liked almost every Sheaffer I have (am reserving judgement on the Award, which doesn't thrill me yet), so a Targa may be the next one to pursue, after reading this tribute.

Just what I need: another pen to pursue.

Wonderful review! I like how you colored it with a"period" background. I'm a fan of Sheaffer's too--belatedly but your review really makes me want to get one. I bought a slim TRZ back in the 80's that I was unhappy with. Recently bought a used Imperial from the 60's with a similar wonderful inlaid nib.

Now we need a photo of your beloved!

Very nice review of the Targa. I had no idea that the Berghoff was closing. Sheaffer closing down the Ft. Madison plant and the Berghoff closing, very sad indeed.

Yes, the Berghoff closes at the end of this month after 108 years in the Chicago Loop. Apparently the family members who manage the restaurant decided to retire and chose to cease operations rather than to sell to a non-family member.

It was a strange sensation to be riding a train which at one time was so great past Sheaffer's facility which employed so many people and produced such an outstanding product en route to dinner at a restaurant which is about to close.

Meanwhile, Kathy & I visited Marshall Fields which will be changed to Macy's later this year. Chicagoans are outraged. They sell Sheaffer pens at Marshall Fields but it is notable that only the quality pens made in Fort Madison are stocked; not the cheap pens which the new owners have branded Sheaffer but are not.

Will the Field Museum of Natural History become the Macy's lawn & garden exhibit?

• 7 months later...

Nothing as impressive as the mind blowing collection above, but as I just purchased my first Targa, I thought I'd post a picture.

Here are the Gold-fluted Targa measurements:

Length Capped: 5 1/3”

Length Posted: 6”

Diameter (cylindrical): 2/5”

Weight: 7/8 ounce

I’m really sold on these Sheaffer inlaid nibs. Either they’re simply a better design than their Balance and Prelude nibs, or the quality control is better. I should also add that even though the pen is a bit slim for my grip, I love the smooth broad nib!

Edited by DilettanteG

Thank you so much for the great review, DRP (David)! I missed it the first time around, so I am glad the thread got bumped up!

I have a Targa fountain pen in matte black, and a Targa rollerball & thin Targa ballpoint in lined chrome. Great pens all! I like the "girth" of my Targa fountain pen; it's just about the perfect size for me. It is also a good, reliable writer with a rich history behind it. I am sad to see the closing of the Iowa Sheaffer factory looming ahead in the distance :(

(oh and Peter UK, that is an amazing Targa display :o :o Thanks for posting the pic!)

David, what an inspired review of the Targa! Unfortunately, I'm limited on time at the moment, but I must read it again. And I loved the train angle. My parents grew up in Monmouth, Illinois, just across the river from Fort Madison, and I've always had a soft spot for Sheaffer. Also, they make (made?) an excellent pen, and I've had fewer problems with Sheaffers than I've had with Parkers.

I was given a Targa for my college graduation. It is full-sized and in satin chrome with a steel (I believe) medium nib. It works like a charm, always quick to start, not too wet or too dry, not too fine or too broad, and it does indeed write on a number of surfaces -- although I can't imagine that I'll ever have the need to try it on drywall -- just don't see that in the cards, frankly.

And, now, with the ridiculous price that's being asked for the Italian-made Valour, I should think that the Targa -- with its nearly identical nib -- will become quite popular. And its not chewable, either, like the Valour.

--Bradley

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/Bradley_064/th_Bradleyssignature.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments.

A pleasant coincidence is that when Bradley was writing his comments, my wife, Kathy & I were packing to take the train again from Chicago to Kansas City.

We crossed the Mississippi River aboard the dining car just after sunset. The train made a sweeping turn as it comes off the bridge almost directly in front of the Sheaffer headquarters -- or what used to be the Sheaffer headquarters. That ediface was erily dark. No lights on anywhere inside or out. No cars in the parking lot. The neon dot above the Sheaffer sign was dark and from what I could tell, hadn't been illuminated in a while.

I understand there are a few people who still have jobs in Fort Madison though I don't know where they work. You can't tell much about a building from a passing train but I could observe no evidence of activity at the Sheaffer headquarters. The grounds appeared to be ill maintained and I couldn't discern any security lighting -- even the dim color of "exit" lighting inside and certainly nothing outside.

One might think there is a certain advertising value of turning on the sign atop the building. Yeah, some electricity and some maintenance but no rental fees as one would pay a billboard company. Apparently Sheaffer's foreign masters see no value in making any presence known in Fort Madison or to the cars which use the upper deck of the railroad bridge.

To that part of the world, Sheaffer is a ghost and a beaten down one at that. Sort of like the character of Marley in Dickens' "Christmas Carol." A joyless, disheveled ghost with nothing to think about besides past sins of which any company offering gainful employment to thousands of people has at least a few.

Seeing Sheaffer's headquarters from the train reveals none of Sheaffer's past glories as a world contender in every category of innovation, design, and production quality. Then again, today's Sheaffer is no longer a leader in innovation, design, and production quality so perhaps a silent, dark, seedy building is an accurate representation of Sheaffer's place in today's economy.

It's still a sad commentary on a manufacturer of the Targa which is by any objective standard, still a worthy competitor.

David

I owned two Targa FP's in the 80's. Perhaps it was just my luck, but both developed leaks around the inlaid nib (steel in both of mine). I'd write for a while and look down to see my fingers with ink on them. They weren't abused and I have a very light touch, so don't know why. Additionally, as both were stainless, I found them both excessively heavy when posted (as I always do). I ended up going back to the Imperial line. Beautiful pens, though.

Hey David,

Splendid review. For my part, you've managed to capture so many of the things I feel about Sheaffer. It can be damn hard to celebrate and mourn at the same time, but you made it look easy.

I had occasion, last week, to chat with an acquaintance in the Ft. Madison repair department; hers must be one of the few cars still parked in that big old lot. I asked how everything was going - leaving lots of things unsaid - and she answered, simply, 'So far, so good' (leaving quite a few things unsaid, I'm sure, on her end). She then went on to handle my questions with the no-nonsense (pun intended) professionalism I've come to count on over the years.

She won't be working there all that much longer, I suspect. But I'm dead certain that the day they padlock the place will be marked by that same spirit of professionalism. Maybe that says something important about the spirit of the pens they once turned out in that dark old factory.

I'm going to ink up a Targa tomorrow and put it to work.

I'm so glad this thread got bumped up. So glad I didn't miss it.

Thanks,

Jon

I owned two Targa FP's in the 80's.  Perhaps it was just my luck, but both developed leaks around the inlaid nib (steel in both of mine).  I'd write for a while and look down to see my fingers with ink on them. They weren't abused and I have a very light touch, so don't know why. 

<snip>

The issue of leaking Targa nibs was brought up in PT's "Pen Doctor" column:

http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data_Retur...p?id=387&tname=

Follow-up here:

http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data_Retur...p?id=391&tname=

• 1 month later...

I have two of these pens, but need some help as the ink cartridge seems to have dried.

They were given to me many years ago as a gift and remained in the draw until recently.

Any advice on how to get these pens functional or if I need to purchase a new cartridge.

Thanks

You'll need to get new cartridges, or a converter and a bottle of ink. Staples and Office Max both usually have at least black Sheaffer cartridges in stock.

The pens will also need to be cleaned out. Rinsing them in water (only the nib section) should do for this. Use the old cartridges to move water in and out by squeezing until water flows clear.

William