J. Herbin Cacao du Bresil

jbn10161

This is a very subtly shaded ink, so it is difficult to capture in a scan. The color is very much like the color of a child's powdered hot cocoa, the kind with powdered milk. It is a medium darkish, gray brown. The ink's properties are excellent. Shading is somewhat prominent. The ink could be used in a variety of settings, from casual correspondence to business. I have attached a scan, but, because of the subtle coloring and because I increased the saturation somewhat in order to match the actual scanned example, the scan is only an approximate reflection of the actual color. (Paper is 22lb HP.)

JN

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbn10161

• lefty928

• Orval

• Peter from Sherwood Park

Whoa, almost the perfect ink if you wanted to create some documents that look like they were written decades ago. Thanks for the review.

Edited to add that the great aspect of a PDF scan is that you can zoom in so as to get a close view of the shading. Nice!

Edited by PenTieRun

Nice color indeed! It reminds me a lot of the R&K Sepia only without quite so much gray tint....

Very nice... thanks!

Very nice, thanks. It looks somewhat like the scrawl I made from a bottle of it at a penshow a couple years back. The Peartree Pens ink sampler bottle, though, contained a washed-out, pencil-gray fluid (yes, I shook it first), so perhaps it's one of those colors that vary by batch?

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

This is a very eye-friendly colour, pleasant to read, despite it is not high contrast.

It has the cool brownish-grey colour of modern furniture.

Wow! Thanks for the review, the Cacao du Brésil scans that I saw so far all left me cold but this one is really attractive!

One of my favorite ink is Herbin Lie de Thé, your review lead me to think another brown is coming home ;)

P.S. +1 On the PDF and a very nice high res scan!

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

The Peartree Pens ink sampler bottle, though, contained a washed-out, pencil-gray fluid (yes, I shook it first), so perhaps it's one of those colors that vary by batch?

That's odd-- that sounds very like the colour that's left on the paper after Lis de The writing gets soaked with water. Perhaps some sort of thermal insult during shipping?

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thanks for the kind words folks.

As for changed colors, I'm beginning to think that all sorts of changes--primarily including age, contamination, and temperature extremes in shipment or storage--can affect the color of many inks. My experience is limited, but I've had three reddish inks all change over time--Pelikan brown, which was subjected to freezing temperatures; Sailor red-brown, which is still wonderful but more brown and less red than when it was new, less than one year ago; and PR Burgundy Mist, which became decidedly more black and less red over six to nine months. I have had several bottles of J. Herbin's brown colors that surprised me, particularly the Lie de The, which appeared far lighter than I expected. And many blue-blacks are known for changing hue over time, whether in or out of the bottle. I can only suggest trying a new bottle of whatever color you think you might like.

This is a different point, but some inks, including some of the Herbin colors, change after they dry on the page, but I think that is delilberate. Vert Empire and Poussiere de Lune, for example, both change to a slightly duskier, grayer hue. In fact, a comparison of Vert Empire and MB's British Racing Green after both have dried is completely different from comparing them wet. Wet, BRG is blacker and VE is greener; but dried, BRG has a more pronounced yellow tinge and VE becomes darker/grayer. Or at least that's how it appeared here.

JN

The Peartree Pens ink sampler bottle, though, contained a washed-out, pencil-gray fluid (yes, I shook it first), so perhaps it's one of those colors that vary by batch?

That's odd-- that sounds very like the colour that's left on the paper after Lis de The writing gets soaked with water. Perhaps some sort of thermal insult during shipping?

That or just the mystery of ink ... odd that Lie de Thé should come up in this thread a couple times -- my Peartree Pens ink sampler revealed the off-green color that has appeared in some but not all images of the color posted on FPN :( . Perhaps some colors are also more volatile, like PR Burgundy Mist. On the other hand, I am very happy that my Zhivago and Tahitian Pearl inks seem far less black to me than they did a couple years ago. Of course, that could be my eyes grasping at nuances nowadays!

Whoa, almost the perfect ink if you wanted to create some documents that look like they were written decades ago. Thanks for the review.

Edited to add that the great aspect of a PDF scan is that you can zoom in so as to get a close view of the shading. Nice!

If you use this ink on Moleskine paper, the product looks like something out of an archive, especially if you use a stub nib.

Thanks for the review!

I love this colour, and find it doesn't feather on any of my notebooks. I expected something a lot deeper when I ordered the ink, but now really like the faded look of it. especially after it dries (just like the Poussiere de Lune which also greys in a lovely archival way, although I find this ink does feather on moleskine paper...)

I have had several bottles of J. Herbin's brown colors that surprised me, particularly the Lie de The, which appeared far lighter than I expected.

Lie de Thé goes from a very light brown to a very dark one depending on the pen it is in. In my Arco it is very light for example while in my Bologna (one of my wettest pen) it is very dark.

Many inks shows dramatic color difference depending on the pen but from my limited experience with Herbin inks I would say (due to their lower dye concentration) that they are the ones that varies the most.

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

Very nice review. The scan looks great. As a matter of fact I'm trying some. Took advantage of the swisher holiday sale to buy some ink.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice review, JN--excellent sample too! :thumbup: I like how this has a grayish cast to a sepia base, as opposed to the more common red/brown cast. I haven't gotten into any J.Herbin inks yet, but I'm becoming very tempted when seeing review like this. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 2 weeks later...

that is one very nice ink. I have not tried jherbin inks but this scan is enough convincing to go buy one bottle of jherbin ink.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 months later...
I got a sample of this ink (from Pear Tree) and it looks gray, the brown does not show at all. I'm surprised...

Ditto, and a sample of Lie de The was yellow greenish.

I got a sample of this ink (from Pear Tree) and it looks gray, the brown does not show at all. I'm surprised...

Ditto, and a sample of Lie de The was yellow greenish.

I bought a bottle of Cacao that had been sitting in the store for a few years, and it was gray. I did try a sample mixed with some Pelikan Brown, which was actually pretty nice, but ultimately ended up returning the bottle. It had something of a vinegary odor, and I didn't want to chance growing a batch of mold.

On the other hand, my Pear Tree Pens' sample of Lie de The is very nice, light brown with a hint of light green. It's in a Lamy Vista, medium nib, and shades pretty nicely.

Perhaps Herbin inks need to be stored in a cool, dry place?

Best,

Jon