fountain pens

d.marcus

I have always liked fountain pens and was wondering what fountain pen you would recommend for a begginner such as my self. Has any one tried the pelikan future fountain?. I would appreciate any feedback from peolple as yourself who have many years of experience using fountain pens

Sincerely

D.marcus :) :) :)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael Wright

• saturation

• memphislawyer

• SimonWang

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Pelikan Future, and it's a very smooth fine-point, that works well, starts up immediately after weeks of being left alone, and is a comfortable pen to hold. I would recommend it highly for a first pen.

Welcome D. My first fountain pen was a Waterman Phileas and I was and am very pleased with it. It writes very reliably, can be refilled with cartridges or using bottled ink with a converter and I think that the styling is quite classic. Other inexpensive pens that are well-liked here are the Lamy Safari, the Sheaffer Prelude and the Hero 100. For a little more than $50 ($60.75 plus shipping from www.swisherpens.com) you can get a Pelikan M200 which fills using an internal piston so it holds lots of ink and is exteremely high-quality and reliable. I think that the last time the Pelikan Future was mentioned, it was quite favorable. Again, welcome and feel free to ask any question at all.

You can't go wrong with a Pelikan GO... in fact at $25 from the ad below, you have enough money to buy some neat ink colors to go along with the pen...

The GO is a fantastic entry level piston filler pen that holds a load of ink and writes beautifully right out of the box and every time after that...

The warrantee is great also.... DAMHIK :( :(

I should also mention that Jim is great to deal with... he comes up with some fantastic deals... in fact I think he also has a great deal on Noodlers and PR inks right now also... so it should not be too hard to get rid of that $50 :P :P

I have what will likely be the last batch of Pelikan Go piston filled fountain pens I'll see for some time. I have 10 available, in Teal green trim. They're $25 each, including s/h in the US. Add $5 for shipping overseas. All are medium nibs, new in the box.

In a few weeks I'll be posting an ad for Pelikan Gos (teal trim) with modified stub nibs. I've sold quite a few modified pens and have many happy customers. If you want to reserve a modified Go, the cost is $55, including s/h. Add $5 for overseas. I'll take reservations for the 7 pens that will be modified. When those are gone, that'll be the end of the modified nibbed Gos from me as well.

Email me at Poohcornerpens@aol.com.

Edited by OldGriz

D,

you may want to give a Pilot Knight a try. There is a very good review here. Just search in the pen review forum.

You can get them from Pam Braun for about 35 dollars. (the usual disclaimers apply)

On another note... Saturation where do you find a VP for under $50?

Pilot Vanishing Point!

Show me where to get a new Pilot Vanishing Point for under $50.00, because that has to be the deal of the decade! :blink:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

You can't go wrong with any of the pens mentioned above, but you can do very well (if you like a fine nib) with a Wality. It is made in India and it looks and writes like a $75-$100 pen and it costs less than $15 bucks.

I suggest the piston fill model for one's first Wality. Starting with an eyedropper might be more than a beginner wants to deal with.

Good luck!

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Pilot Vanishing Point!

Show me where to get a new Pilot Vanishing Point for under $50.00, because that has to be the deal of the decade! :blink:

My apologies folks. I was thinking of the thread starter's original question, not the one just before my VP post.

I have seen VP second hand on ebay for $30-70, as the final bid price.

Currently there is a vintage one at a starting bid of $31, so it could be someone's within $50 :blush:

Sorry for misleading anyone! :huh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Namiki-Pilot-V...1QQcmdZViewItem

There are many more listed either as Pilot or Namiki VP of various ages.

My recommendations:

Pelikan GO

Lamy Safari

Waterman Phileas or Kultur

Parker Frontier

Hero 100 (or the 616 or the 329)

Parker Vector

Sheaffer Prelude

Sheaffer Javelin

I've had pretty good performance from all of the above (except the Javelin, which I have not tried).

Matt C.

D, you got a headache yet? :D

Let me add to that.

(Slush, where are you? Let's say it together) Rotring Core!

Personally, for modern pens, I have tried, currently use and would recommend (for your budget):

- Lamy Safari

- Waterman Phileas

- Rotring Core

Good Luck!

G.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

The Pelikan Future would be a very good choice. So would all the others that have been mentioned, BTW. You're in the fortunate position of wanting to buy at a price point where there are a lot of very good pens indeed.

But if you're happy with cartridge filling, with the possibility of using a converter if you want to fill it from a bottle, there's no reason to go beyond the number you first thought of.

Have lots of fun.

Michael

my charleston waterman from pam braun was $49.99

great pen

sam

Killer price. But OP should be warned that not everyone likes the Charleston. I like mine very much, but they don't get universal enthusiasm like the lower-priced Pelikans.

Best

Michael

wishing he'd got his for that money, but still thinking it worth what he paid

Get a phileas with a Fine nib. They are generally smooth, you can get a nib exchange easily, and the Fine nib is not exceptionally fine and does not bit into the paper. The nib is firm and so you won't mess up the times.

Or, get a Cross Solo or Radiance at any Staples store still selling FPs. They are inexpensive, come with a good warranty, have a great firm nib made by Namiki, and look nicer than the Philease, IMO. Screw on cap too, rather than the Phileas snap off/on cap. Get a Medium nib, as their mediums are more like a fine point. Very nice pen if you can find one, especially in black or hunter green or the dark blue. (Actually I do have a Solo with a Fine nib and it is a very smooth very fine nib.)

Try Swisherpens.com for a good deal on a phileas. I am not related to them, just a happy customer.

j