Waterman Blue Night

fpfanatic5

My first review, hope it's up to par.

I got this ink off of Ebay, not knowing exactly what I was buying. The auction included two bottles of Waterman ink, one black, and the other described as "blue." I looked at the pictures and noticed that the bottles had a yellow label, which I had never seen before. I also saw that the bottle described as "blue," was labeled "bleu nuit." I then rembered that Georges reviewed a Waterman ink called "blue night," and no one could figure out whether it was simply relabeled Florida Blue or Blue Black, or a special ink made only for the European Market. So, I decided to bid on them, so I could figure out what the "blue night" is.

The scan looks pretty close, not the best quality, I know, but I tried. The color is just a bit more green in real life.

post-10595-1219782781_thumb.jpg

post-10595-1219782751_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested in buying this ink, the only suggestion that I can give is Ebay. I have only seen it listed there once (in the auction I won), but I have never seen anywhere else. After I got the ink posted a topic asking for information. All I have come away with is is that someone saw the yellow labeled Waterman bottles in the late 80's and early 90's in Spain. So, my best guess it that this is a vintage ink for Spain. If anyone can provide any more information it would be greatly appreciated.

I also asked Georges about his bottle of Blue Night, and he said that his bottle is labeled "Florida Blue" in English. So that solves one mystery, but I am still confused. My bottle does not have any English lettering, except "Made in France." Also, my bottle looks nothing like Florida Blue. It's possible that this is a result of fading, but it just seems so different. I'm stumped.

So, this is not what I was expecting, but it is a well-behaved ink with a non-generic color.

Edited by fpfanatic5

Cross: ATX

Esterbrook: Dollar Pen

Eversharp: Standard Skyline, Demi Skyline

Parker: 2 "51" Aerometrics, "51" Special, "21," Striped Duofold, Reflex

Pelikan: M605

Sailor: Sapporo

Sheaffer: 2 Balances

Waterman: CF, Phileas

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpfanatic5

• Juan in Andalucia

• StephY

• Gran

This is the color of the Waterman Blue Black I got when I loaded it into my Parker Big Red. Like you said, totally not what I expected.

But it's growing on me a little, like Noodler's Legal Lapis when I trained my brain to let go of the idea that "lapis" meant "blue."

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

Does anyone know if this is simply Waterman Blue-Black? I figured that "bleu nuit," (blue night) would be different from "bleu noir," (blue black) but I could be wrong.

I've used plenty of old Waterman ink. By old I mean the ones with the yellow stickers, and I think that the "bleu noir" is blue-black.

I don't have any old bottle though, but I think that the color is slightly different. The current version is not as intense, IMO. Nevertheless, don't take my word for it; I would need 2 bottles to compare.

Juan

I've used plenty of old Waterman ink. By old I mean the ones with the yellow stickers, and I think that the "bleu noir" is blue-black.

I don't have any old bottle though, but I think that the color is slightly different. The current version is not as intense, IMO. Nevertheless, don't take my word for it; I would need 2 bottles to compare.

Juan

I know that the "bleu noir" is blue-black, I'm just wondering if "bleu nuit" is the same thing.

• 5 months later...

FPfanatic, thanks for the review. It's very helpful.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

Does anyone know if this is simply Waterman Blue-Black? I figured that "bleu nuit," (blue night) would be different from "bleu noir," (blue black) but I could be wrong.

To me it really looks like Waterman or Parker Blue-Black. I couldn't notice any difference between the Waterman or the Parker Blue-Black from the recent years. Back in the nineties Parker had a very nice dark blue colored Blue-Black instead of the more greenisch from today.

I'm thinking it's blue-black. I've a bottle of S.T.Dupont's "bleu nuit"( as well as Watermans B-B) which is blue-black ( more intense that watermans ) so it may be French description for a blue-black . Put it this way, it sounds a hell of a lot better than just plain b-b !!!

Regards Hugh