Mont Blanc 146 and 149

pankajwillis

I have recently acquired a 149 and a 146 - both new from Fountain Pen Hospital.

Buying Experience:

What a wonderful shop. If you live in NYC, and are considering buying a pen, I highly recommend Fountain Pen Hospital. I have to say that I made some wrong choices in Nib type that I wanted. I ended up buying an M but for some reason I wasn't satisfied with its smoothness (a little scratchy). I took it back to FPH and the gentleman who owns the business replaced it for me. Of course, you should be much more confident that you really like the pen before inking it. It helps to not ink unless you know you like the pen.

I have good things to say for FPH. I have bought pens from them in past, and they are a wonderful shop. (I am just a happy satisfied customer). I do have to say that my buying experience felt a little rushed, and they should offer more advice and let the customer explore more nib types etc. or multiple pens from same nib type - but overall I am very satisfied with their level of service. And also their prices. A very Good fountain pen shop.

They get A in customer service.

Nib Sizes:

As I previously noted, I initially went for an M (and also tried an F). However, it seems M and F are not for me. For some reason, I don't find them smooth enough. It might have been my particular pens that I tried, but B seems to be much more smoother and elegant to me. Of course, it depends on application and personal choice. But I am curious to know if as a general rule, Bs are more smoother than M or F. I have heard that the so called 'sweet spot' is larger as you go toward broader from XF to B.

Writing:

Both my 146 and 149 are B and both write buttery smooth. In my personal opinion, you should not be satisfied with a FP unless you are really satisfied. And definitely do not ink unless you are sure. Both my MBs write buttery smooth - I think 146 is smoother (but that depends on the nib). My initial experience with an M wasn't pleasant at all. It caused me a lot of anxiety (I am a bit impatient types).

Looks:

Both 146 and 149 and beautiful pens (as the above review has already noted). 149 is of course bigger than the 146. At first look, it didn't seem that attractive to me. In fact, every time I hold 146 it feels exactly the right proportions. However, 149 grows on you. I find myself appreciating its beauty so much more often now. By all standards, it is a very beautiful pen, and to me feels like a very well made pen.

The precious resin on MB has this very subtle reddish tone when held in direct sunlight. The barrel is actually very subtly translucent and has an amazing shine to it. I have some MBs from a couple of years that have maintained their shine just like new.

Balance:

Both 146 and 149 fit my hands like a charm when unposted. Initially I didn't feel that much difference between 146 and 149. Now however, the 146 seems much more sleeker, slightly faster and meant for fast work. 149, on the other hand, seems to be slightly heavier (and is bigger), as a result of which, it is a bit of extra work to run it as fast as the 146. However, it's not too slower - just a little heavier and bigger.

Both pens are very well balanced when unposted. Feel absolutely natural. Posted, however, both pens become heavier and bigger - and slower. I don't particularly prefer unposted over posted because depending on writing style both modes seem to have their own benefits. Unposted is faster. Posted gives more elegance to the pen and just looks better and more special.

I have to say that 149 posted is the best looking pen I have seen among its peers.

Comments on MB:

While this is a very personal topic, I feel that MB pens are very well made. I find them to be consistently high quality, very fine instruments.

However, I think they should do more work on their nibs. With today's technology, the nibs should be so much more smoother.

So far as hand crafted goes, they can hand craft all they want on the entire pen (including the nib). However, the tip - which really is a big part of the whole writing experience, should benefit from all technology innovations, including consistency which is achieved through automation. I think a 600 dollar pen's tip should be smooth like butter.

Nevertheless, all the Bs that I have tried seem to be super smooth, so maybe I don't know exactly how a smooth M or F should be. My personal experience with broad MB nibs has been very positive, just as with M and F hasn't been that great (However, I might have my expectations too high - I doubt it though).

Ink Flow:

All my MB pens seemed to skip right out of the box. However, All of them started giving great consistent ink flow once I flushed them with cold water and re-inked them. I think there is some amount of break-in period with these mont blancs. Also, it depends on the ink.

Overall:

If I was to choose only one pen, I would go for the 149, just because the bigger nib size, and pen size gives it a more royal feel. Both pens are extremely well made and very beautiful. They both have a simple elegance that is hard to match.

I am in love with both pens.

If you haven't tried a MB pen before, I would recommend trying a 149 with a broad nib.

A merciful heart is the greatest of all possessions.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pankajwillis

• goodguy

• FrankB

• shoppy

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh a new MB fan,welcome to the family my friend.

MB 146 and 149 are simply the most classic pens even designed.I love there nibs and what can I say everybody should own for at least one in their collection.

Glad you are happy with these pens and wish you many many years of joy with them.

By the way whats next ?

Maybe a MB WE pen ?

Respect to all

MB 146 and 149 are simply the most classic pens even designed.I love there nibs and what can I say everybody should own for at least one in their collection.

Glad you are happy with these pens and wish you many many years of joy with them.

By the way whats next ?

Maybe a MB WE pen ?

Hi Goodguy! Thanks. And more thanks for your reviews because they proved very helpful to me in my purchase decisions. I initially bought a 146. However, your reviews led me to another purchase - the 149. I must say I am really glad I did. Both pens are exquisite. It is definitely a good start :)

I must say that I really like the MB Boheme collection, even though pens are smaller. :)

By the way whats next ?

Maybe a MB WE pen ?

Hi Goodguy! Thanks. And more thanks for your reviews because they proved very helpful to me in my purchase decisions. I initially bought a 146. However, your reviews led me to another purchase - the 149. I must say I am really glad I did. Both pens are exquisite. It is definitely a good start :)

I must say that I really like the MB Boheme collection, even though pens are smaller. :)

Got a Boheme and once posted it is a full size pen.It is wonderful for everyday use even though I'd say for heavy writing like in a university I'd recommend more the 146 or 149.

As I said the Writers Edition pens are wonderful pens,they write just as good as the 146 (they are mostly based on the 146) but there design is gorgeous and for LE pens they are relativly not expensive.

Respect to all

Thanks for taking the time to give us your impressions, PJW.

B nibs do tend to be smoother than the finer ones. I suppose it is because there is more tipping material and it can be polished or smoothed more. I have also found that my MB B and BB nibs have a "flat" or "stubbish" feel on paper that I really enjoy. But I also a have a 149 with a M nib that is on the broad end of M and also has that stubbish feel on paper.

The hand crafting of the nibs does lead to some inconsistencies, which is why one is well advised to dip test a MB FP before purchase. I do not have that luxury where I live, read FP wasteland. I have to buy my pens through the mail, but, thus far, I have been super lucky, especially with my MB's.

The design, yes, the design. Many people call these pens boreing. I call them classic. But then I like simple Zen-like designs like those in Danitrio and Nakaya pens. I think these MB classics are in that Zen league, with a little more gold.

I count my MB pens right in there with my Pelikans as some of my most reliable. They write first time, every time. Despite the MB piston fill mechanisms having no brass components in them, I have had no issues with any of mine. I still do not carry my MB's out of the house because of the resin's unknown durability, but I do any work I have from home. (I am retired but I do consulting work.)

Good luck. I hope you get on with your 146 and 149 as well as I get on with mine.

Edited by FrankB

Thank you, for a wonderful review. I travel to New York, ever few months. Next time I am at the big apple I will have to visit the FPH. Is there any chance you can add a photo comparison.

Best wishes.

Glad you love your Montblancs! The Meisterstucks are indeed a hard act to follow.

I use fines and mediums on my 146s and 149s, and they all write smoothly for me.

A pic for Shoppy -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_5456.jpg

146 on left, 149 on right

Cheers, J :happyberet:

Thank you, for a wonderful review. I travel to New York, ever few months. Next time I am at the big apple I will have to visit the FPH. Is there any chance you can add a photo comparison.

Yeah, I would love to post some pics etc. May soon enough. In the meanwhile, Goodguy has a nice review comparing 146 and 149 in this same forum and he has some really nice pics.

If you like Van Gogh Maxis, big Marlens, Yard O led Grands, Krones and Deltas, go with the 149. I'm not a lover of MBs for reasons of weight and coloring, but the 149 nib IS special. Adore the glide of my B nib.