Pen for a college student?

DL1

After the problems with my Lami Vista, I'm starting to think that it may not be the pen for me. It's also a bit on the long side when posted. My orange Pelikano wrote decently though, but it's a bit on the bright side. :doh:

I'm looking just a simple decent looking fountain pen with a extra fine nib for around or under $40 or so with shipping. I like the way the Pelikan M200 Demonstrator in Anthracite and the Vista looked. I'm thinking about getting the M200 body with an EF nib, but I don't think I'm ready to spend that much yet.

Thanks in advance!

-DL1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amh210

• sleek_lover

• DL1

• Lyutsin21

I second the Wality suggestion. They have two models, one is a piston filler and the other a eyedropper. Both pens sport a Fine nib, which writes more like an EF, but is very smooth, perhaps due to the great flow--they use ebonite feeders. Your best bet is e-bay, where you can probably buy two for less than $30.

If you don't want to play the ebay game you can buy one from several online purveyors. I got mine from Retrodesk.

I've got no connection with them except for having been a satisfied customer.

As a new FP user, I'd suggest the piston filler rather than messing with the eyedropper.

Good luck! B)

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

I'm thinking about getting the M200 body with an EF nib, but I don't think I'm ready to spend that much yet.

Thanks in advance!

-DL1

"Working up" to an item you know you really want is an expensive way to go. I know this :(

So if you think that a Pelikan 200 is what you'd really like -- and nobody here would suggest that you'd be wrong about that -- I'd suggest maybe waiting a bit longer and going for what you want. No disrespect to other pens suggested -- I don't know them personally, but they're well regarded. But from the way you're talking, DL1, I suggest the time will come when you'll think of a Pelikan 200 as an economy pen. Save up a bit and take the plunge, I say, rather than ending up with a lot of pens you didn't really want *and* the one you wanted all along.

Anyway, have fun

Michael

Buy a Hero. 100 or 2004; both for under $30 included shipping.

I used to like Wality's for a few days, but the nibs/ feeds sweat terribly; both moisture and ink. I advise against them.

After the problems with my Lami Vista, I'm starting to think that it may not be the pen for me.  It's also a bit on the long side when posted.  My orange Pelikano wrote decently though, but it's a bit on the bright side. :doh:

I'm looking just a simple decent looking fountain pen with a extra fine nib for around or under $40 or so with shipping.  I like the way the Pelikan M200 Demonstrator in Anthracite and the Vista looked.  I'm thinking about getting the M200 body with an EF nib, but I don't think I'm ready to spend that much yet.

Thanks in advance!

-DL1

DL...

Read the other posts and

Don't know much about the Indian pen, will try one soon but...

Think the Hero 100 nibs might be TOO fine. The Hero EF is more like a XXEF. I have a raft of Hero 3xx and 100s---they are great pens...but for note taking and tests...not so sure.

Pels would be good but I got a couple of thoughts that might pique your interest...

Think about a pair of Parker P21s. Look up Nathan Tardiff who usually has a bunch of them in your price range. The aero filler holds a pile of ink and a pair will cost about what you want to pay. They are bomb-proof.

Another pair...a solid set of NOS Sheaffer Imperials. Cart feeders, but you can get a decent 'verter. I have a bunch and the inlaid nib is classic. Great writers, reliable and you can always syringe in your fav ink. Plus, if you really run out of ink, carts are always available at the bookstore...

Levenger True Writer...Great pen...new, will set you back $50. on the 'bay about $25 each. Again, 2 for about what you want to spend. Great writers, despite what some on the various boards will say, and the older colors are delightful. The nibs run very true to size...F writes F, M is an M, B is B...at least in my lexicon.

I have to get on to other stuff...

Hope this helps...

Bill

How about the disposable Pilot Varsity? Given the conditions around colleges: damage, loss or theft are more likely possibilities. Around $2-3 a pen, retail. Nice writing pen.

Edited by saturation

How about the disposable Pilot Varsity? Given the conditions around colleges: damage, loss or theft are more likely possibilities. Around $2-3 a pen, retail. Nice writing pen.

Great thought...A friend lost a very expensive Pel and was bummed for about a month

How about the disposable Pilot Varsity?  Given the conditions around colleges: damage, loss or theft are more likely possibilities.  Around $2-3 a pen, retail.  Nice writing pen.

Great thought...A friend lost a very expensive Pel and was bummed for about a month

You get added discounts if you buy a box :lol: and that should be close to $30. Its not the only disposable FP out there, but has gotten good reviews. Although I like it a lot, I think you'd best test at least one before opting for a whole box.

One can find various links to sites that sell Varsity's on the Internet, other than Amazon.com.

On FPN is a recent thread on refilling the Varsity, so you can stretch your college dollar even more.

Edited by saturation

There are some older Sheaffer Targas which sometimes show up for a reasonable price. They are exceptionally well made pens and write like a dream. Something to consider.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. Let's see... where to start?

Wality

If it writes as fine as everyone says it is, it may be perfect pen. I don't care too much for the way it looks, but I can overlook that for the price and performance.

Working up to more expensive pens.

Unfortunately, I'm just an average broke college student right now. :P I'm going for a reliable pen that I can take to school for notetaking. I'm more concerned over how it writes versus what it looks like for now although a decent looking pen is always nice.

I don't have much to go by so I rather try a few cheaper pens then getting one more expensive pen which I may not like. My "working up" period is more along the line of a year or two versus next month. I just wanted to give examples of the look I'm going for.

I'll be sure to keep your advice in mind when I'm in a better financial situation though!

Hero pens

The thickness of the Vista EF nib was just about right for me. I'm taking a wild guess that a Hero F nib is about the same as the Vista EF nib. I do like the way the Hero 100 Stainless and the Hero 2004 looks though! It may be too shiny for use in a classroom though.

Parker P21, Sheaffer Imperials, Levenger True Writer, and Sheaffer Targas

I'll be sure to check these out. Thanks for the recommendations!

Pilot Varsity

I already have one. :) The Varsity was the first fountain pen I bought that wasn't a calligraphy pen. It's great for the price, but it writes way too thick for me. The ink isn't waterproof either, and I rather not deal with trying to refill one. Noodler's black is the main reason I bought my fountain pens!

-DL1

No affiliation, and I have yet to receive my pen (ordered Monday), but isellpens.com has the Wality 52 piston for $10. I thought I'd take a chance since I love the piston fill system on my Pelikan M215. I didn't see the Wality 69 eyedropper on that site though. Good luck on finding a pen.

Heath

Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, you realize the pig likes it.

Geaux Tigers!

Buy a Hero. 100 or 2004; both for under $30 included shipping.

I used to like Wality's for a few days, but the nibs/ feeds sweat terribly; both moisture and ink. I advise against them.

Can you describe what you mean by "nibs/ feeds sweat terribly?" I use my Wality regularly and have not had a problem with moisture anywhere or leaking ink, if that is what you mean.

I hadn't seen anyone mention "sweating" before so I'm curious if it is the same as leaking or you are describing a different phenonmena.

Thanks!

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. The sweating is very curious indeed. I owned three Wality’s: a 52, a 69L eyedropper, and a very nice 69L piston filler. All three pens had the same problem. I used to take the pens to work, carrying them in my shirt pocket. I noticed that the barrel got warm, and this is perhaps the explanation. When I uncapped the pens, I noticed that drops of moisture (not ink) had formed on top of the nib, and also on the underside of the feed. My last Wality sweated ink too. :blink:

Wality’s look great, but are very dirty out of the box. You need to clean them very thoroughly before using. <_<

I sold them… :unsure:

I would suggest:

1) return the Lamy for replacement/repair, you've already paid for it.

2) get a Parker 21! Great inexpensive but not cheap pens

3) look around and pick up user grade of better Parker "51" (Heck I just bought a Rage Red Parker 61 for $26. They are out there.)

• 3 years later...

I can so relate to you friend, I lost my pen a was totally bummed/zoned out in my law class.

I got this really nice one in WHSmith can't remeber off the top of my head what it's brand name was, but it was only $2-4.

And it's been with me though a lot of exams, classic. And I've noticed I haven't lost it yet, compared to my expensive ones

wtaerman expert first generation or waterman laureat

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time