Conway Stewart "100"

jandrese

This is a review of the Conway Stewart “100” number 15 of 471 in quartz blue with a medium nib. The “100” is available as either a cartridge/converter filler or a “twist fill”, which I suppose means captive converter. Mine uses the twist fill mechanism. Filling the pen requires removing the blind cap, which reveals a gold plated knob labeled + in one direction and – in another. No doubt this is the end of the captive converter. I’m not a fan of the captive converter mechanism but at least this one seems to hold a lot of ink and is elegantly implemented. My apologies to Conway Stewart if this pen is a true piston filler rather than a lesser captive converter. Regardless, there is no way to check the ink level in this pen.

post-10928-1219026997_thumb.jpg

A deceptively large pen, the “100” sits well in the hand and is best balanced unposted due to its low weight. The flecked blue acrylic (plastic) is one of the nicest modern plastics that I’ve seen and it really catches sunlight well. The material is almost vintage in color intensity, luster, and light catching ability with a distinctively modern feel and weight. Modern plastics keep getting better. Some have complained about the black cap jewel but this pen was designed to, and does, closely resemble a vintage Conway Stewart “58” lever-filler. Too bad this one does not feed by lever but it does have honest to goodness vintage good looks. The combination of size, weight, and nib performance make this a great writer suitable for long sessions. The construction is robust and the fit and finish is superb. There is a crisp, clean imprint (probably laser etched) and the wide 18 ct. cap band is hallmarked. The clip is a near exact copy of the vintage pen and is strong allowing for secure, well, clipping. Packaging is typical Conway Stewart. That is, nearly opulent and a tad excessive.

post-10928-1219027014_thumb.jpg

Evidently, the “100” shares the same nib with the CS Churchill although it feels slightly different on the “100”. It is smoother, which is notable since it is a medium and my Churchill has broad, and seems to be a little bit more flexy. A little bit of pressure doubles the line width produced by this pen. When compared to almost all other pens, I believe this nib qualifies as flexible although it is far from a wet noodle. Indeed, the nib the greatest strength of this pen (should this always be true?). It is smooth at a large variety of angles and never catches the paper no matter which direction the nib is moved. Ink delivery is no problem with this pen even after a day or two of inactivity. The feed supplies so much ink that this pen is definitely a wet writer, which no doubt contributes to its smoothness.

post-10928-1219027021_thumb.jpg

So is this expensive pen worth the price of admission? Even at typical discounted online or brick and mortar prices the cost is well north of $350. Overall, I’d say it is. Quality is first rate and the nib is sumptuous. Those, like me, who collect and admire vintage pens will find a lot to like about this modern pen. If you can, always test before you buy and you might just find a one with a nib as great as the one on my pen.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• nkennett

• lightweaver

• Lord Nincompoop

thanx for your review. i don't own a CS... if only they weren't that expensive!!!... for my pocket, anyways. some day i hope to own a CS 100 casein

:thumbup:

Edited by lovemy51

Hi,

Nice review, I also have a CS100 in Peppered White with the twist fill, mine was a gift, a nice looking pen that writes very well.

$350 looks a good price as in the UK the retail price is £335 and even on ebay on teh rare occasions they turn up they go for around £200 or so.

Andy

Nice review and I am glad you are enjoying the pen! My husband has a CS Icon 100 in sterling silver, which I got for him as a gift last year. The nib is wonderful, especially now that it has been reground to an XXF to his liking.

My preference is for CS flat-tops and I started out not being a fan of the 100 shape... But I must admit it is growing on me! Plus it really is such an iconic shape that seems to have become the essense of CS. I am very glad that the modern company is committed to continuing this design.

Love those Conways!

I'm yet to own a modern CS - yours is a fine example. I'd love to have a 100! Nice colour too, well done!

Wanted List: Pelikan M800 F; GvFC Pernambuco F

I have the CS 100 in the Yellow Whirl pattern which is out of this world! I chose a Medium italic nib and it writes crisply and cleanly. It's my favourite for letters to friends. The hardware on mine is gold coloured. I think that may be standard on all of the 100 Series pens. Nice review!

Edited by Strang

Thanks for a good review. I like the classic lines that have been brought forward in this modern interpretation. The blue looks rich and well done.

Best regards

• 6 months later...

very marvelous pen ;) it looks like really a vintage product. I like it a lot.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks for the excellent review. This has been on my wish list for a while. I just hope I can one day muster the pennies for a 100. It truly is a beautiful looking pen.

They cannot look out far.

They cannot look in deep.

But when was that ever a bar

To any watch they keep?

-- Robert Frost --

• 1 year later...

Gorgeous pen. How's the twist fill mechanism?

Good question. And timely too. Recently, I sent the pen back to have the pen fixed because the twist fill/captive converter was leaking. I don't know if that was fixed or not because I immediately sent the pen back because CS damaged the pen. We will see how things go.

Regarding CS filling mechanisms, go for standard cartridge converter because all their other mechanisms are unreliable. I have a lever filler that is a constant problem too. My pen dealer says the same and the same can be found repeated often in the forums herein.

Gorgeous pen. How's the twist fill mechanism?

Good question. And timely too. Recently, I sent the pen back to have the pen fixed because the twist fill/captive converter was leaking. I don't know if that was fixed or not because I immediately sent the pen back because CS damaged the pen. We will see how things go.

Regarding CS filling mechanisms, go for standard cartridge converter because all their other mechanisms are unreliable. I have a lever filler that is a constant problem too. My pen dealer says the same and the same can be found repeated often in the forums herein.

Thanks for the response, I'll stick to the CC's.

Love that blue. Very nice. :)

Pens Owned:

• Parker Sonnet, M nib
  • Sheaffer Calligraphy Set, F & M & B Calligraphy nibs
  • Inoxcrom Wall Street Elegance, M nib
  • Parker IM, F nib